Home

Return Of Force-destruct

lllKyNeSlll

Destruct was nice, one hot ball of pure hatred :D MWUAHAHAHAAAA!! I think it can be a valuable addition to the darkside, since it's different than lightning; another damaging darkside power. If lightning is changed to a single, pretty hard to aim but powerfull beam, I think Destruction can be a quite nice addition to the dark side arsenal :D

If they added it, they should make it more like what Jerec did to Kyle on that platform. That's pretty much what destruction was supposed to be, but they lacked good technology to make it look good in 1997 (even though mods and PCs later could do it).

i can't remember that cutscene too well, but it did look pretty cool. More of a Dragonball Z style attack if i remember rightly, built up a glowing ball in his hand then released more of a beam of hatred than a ball. of course my memory might be playing tricks.

It occurs to me that, instead of making it a yellow ball, this might be a good use for that warping effect they showed in the screenshot.... a big beam/ball of warped reality might be a great way of representing hatred. (a better use for it than push anyway :D )

It would be nice to have the ability to "charge it up", and also if it sent any clutter along it's path flying away. Maybe even the possibility of buring yourself out if you overcharge it.

I dont fancy Destruction to be honest... and like someonepoitned out... DBZ style... errr i dont really think it has it's place here.

Besides... I dont really know what Jerec shoots from his hands... in the initial cutscene it paralyses Rahn... on the platform it's like push and in the game ... it's a ball that mostly does splash damage.

If it was in the game it wouldnt ruin it for me... but i'd rather see other stuff instead. Just my two cents ;)

I think destruction would be good to bring back for a laugh (there's nothing funnier than sending a blast into a bunch of stormtroopers and watching them fly).

However - force lightning in JKII was far more powerful when used by Desann in SP, so I think if destruction was brought back for the new game, the new boss would favor it and would probably be a lot more powerful when using it.

So I haven't quite decided yet....

the more i think about it, the more i want it, but as a big blast of transparent "warping"... it would be like a full on kinetic blast, knocking everything out of its path.... a kind of super powered force push that was powerful enough to do damage.

If raven wanted to bring back this force power,they should remember that balance is what is needed.Make it strong,but not to strong,countable,but not always,etc etc etc.

Also,I didn't pay that much attention to the cutscenes...didn't notice what Jerec used both on Rahn and Kyle.

Well, I did pay attention to the cut-scenes in the first Jedi Knight game. What I have to say is that, in the cut-scene of Rahn's demise, Jerec used a kind of "force severance". This means that he severed Rhan's connection to the Force causing his loss of mobility. On the other hand, on the cut-scene that appears after defeating Maw, Jerec just simply pushes Kyle into the cargo ship as well as the whole docking assembly. Force Destruction was never performed during a cut-scene except in Mysteries of the Sith when Mara Jade encounters Kyle in the Sith Temple. However, all Mysteries of the Sith cut-scenes were in-game graphics video clips so a "real-life-movie-rendition" of this particular force power was never shown. So Force Destruction is still basically a ball of dark energy. Just thought I should clear that up.

-Vitruvio

P.S.: If you take too long trying to defeat Jeric in single player, he uses the "Severance" power against you thus making you share Rahn's fate.... Destruction and Severance are not the same power.

i dont think it was ever a power you could use... but it would make a good lightside power for all those who wanted more offensive lightside powers... not exactly offensive, but at least it affects the target rather than you. :band:

Destruct originally did about 60 to 70 damage to health alone by passing shields. The splash damage radius was about 3 times the radius of the splash damage of the secondary of the imperial repeater. Furthermore, it used about 50% of your total force. It was a fast moving projectile also. Therefore, it was far too powerful for jk2 because jk2 is much less fast paced. Even with strafe jump and speed (add rage if you wish), you couldn’t move at the speed of strafe run with speed in jk1. And the force consumption of jump and speed was much higher making the game less vertical combat based than jk1. So it would be hard to dodge destruction and most likely one would die fast. Furthermore, destruction doesn’t really keep up with the star wars theme. Although I like it because it took skill to use and time the surge, I agree that for jk2, it would not have been a good force power unless severely modified. If it is in jk3 which I doubt, I would wish the damage level to be kept the same. However, the splash radius must be reduced to about the radius of a repeater or slightly smaller than that. The original sphere of damage was about as large as a fully charged electromagnetic destructor weapon ( I can’t remember what it is called exactly the #7 gun). Another option is to keep the splash damage sphere large but reduce the damage to about 30 to 40 direct to health. Since the game looks faster paced than jk2, who knows what can happen.

Everything I mentioned I apply to multiplayer. If available it should be limited to multiplayer (or vice versa single player).

Originally posted by HertogJan

Severance in JK?? What do you mean?? I don't know that power, did you make it up?? :confused::p

I only used the word "severance" to explain how Jerec immobilized Rahn. Somehow Jerec severed Rahn's connection to the Force, with that ball of light, causing him to be paralyzed. I don't know what that particular Force power is called either but it's definitely no variation of Force Destruction. I also know that Jerec can use it against you if he recharges himself too much with the Valley's power when you battle him. The effects you experience when he uses this power against you are your screen slowly fades white and you die when the fading is finished. This is proof that this power is not a variation of Force Destruction. If you don't believe me, you can try it out yourself. If that's not enough, you can actually listen to Rahn's description of Jerec before you fight him. You'll notice that Rahn says Jerec has the uncanny ability to sever a being's connections to the force like a dark cloud. I think I've explained enough about this subject.

As for my opinion about putting Force Destruction in Jedi Academy, I think can be done if there are certain handicaps put on it. Perhaps, making the Descruction an "analog" power where the amount of power put in is regulated by how long you hold down the assigned Force key (charging up) before releasing it. Also, keeping whoever uses it "grounded" or standing still, while it's executed, will limit the amount of unfair exploits to it's cataclysmic damage power. Well those are my two cents on this subject. I'd really like to hear what you have to say about this idea. If I've missed anything please address it. I look forward to your replies.

-Vitruvio

i've never really got why people think it is un-starwarsy... it wasn't in the movies, but then a lot of stuff in the games wasn't, and if dark jedi can create lightning i don't see why they couldn't create other similar offensive powers... maybe it has to do with the poor way it is graphically portrayed ingame.

Keeping the player grounded is one good idea, and i definately think it should be analogue. The other option is to make it appear in your hand as a glowing ball first (while you would be unable to block with the saber) allowing people to counter.

Obviously the area and damage would have to be tweaked, but that is an issue for the playtesters.

Severance would still be a cool power...:p

I loved that force. :)

Originally posted by toms

the more i think about it, the more i want it, but as a big blast of transparent "warping"... it would be like a full on kinetic blast, knocking everything out of its path.... a kind of super powered force push that was powerful enough to do damage.

You should be able to power up push enough to do that. :)

I think the reason Lucasarts got rid of Destruct was because it was too powerful. I mean, lightning and Grip are already extremely powerful dark powers, so lucasarts probably wanted to balance the Dark and Light side powers by taking out those destructive powers, such as Force Destruct.

Well a way would be to have the old jk type jump thing where you could charge it (uses less force mana but less of a jump) or tap it and it goes full power taking up maximum energy, in this case 3/4 would be good since jk2 and JA are slower than jk. (maybe even 4/5 mana)

Oh and Joe, The darkside is supposed to be destructive! i would rather destruction than that crappy drain which is hard to balance for Raven ;)

Originally posted by Agen_Terminator

Oh and Joe, The darkside is supposed to be destructive! i would rather destruction than that crappy drain which is hard to balance for Raven ;)

Well if Dark side where too destructive, Light sdide Jedi wouldn't survive! Protection and absorb aren't that effective, you know.

Archived