Home

Sam and Max 2 - What do you think to it so far?

Calapuno

I hope it features a more prominent role for Flint. The voice actors are the ones from the previous game rather than the toon, which is definitely promising.

I demand snappy dialogue, a return to Fish World (complete with fishwrld.mid), and a completely unexpected Gamecube release.

It produced a lot of anticipation in me. Unlike Full Throttle 2 I'm really anxious to get this game. I don't know what's different with Sam & Max, since it has also some potential to be too much of an action game.

I liked Full Throttle very much, the screenshots of S&M2 had an odd aura to them (a little too clean, I guess)... still Sam & Max wins.

In 3D, they still hold a cartoony look (although I'm hoping for cartoony movement, i.e. bulging eyes, stretcheble parts and so on, in other words, not too confined to the 3D mask). it also has nice vibrant colours, so yeah, not too bad.

Well, I've gotta say... I think until now Sam and Max 2 looks terrible. I REALLY hope that those are only preliminary graphics, because they shouldn't go 3D just for the fancyness of it, if they can't do it right. I think the animations are still way to stiff (just look at Pixar's stuff... THAT's good animation) and the 3D-graphics are just too blocky and textureless. Why, oh why are they always using the ingame models for cutscenes as well? Just look a MI4... it was a pain (not the game, but the cutscenes)... I hope LucasArts will work on it.

As for the fact that it's going to be point-and-click: YAY!! Finally LucasArts gets back to its roots, at least a little bit.

I think the 3d presentation and animation are the best to come out of Lucasarts so far....but they have to come to a realization that their 3d art team is absolutely terrible. There last couple of games (besides being horrendous game play wise) were complete eye sores. And Full Throttle is equally unimpressive.

On the bright side I kind of like how Sam and Max has a simple, exaggerated cartoon look, with simple textures and rotund characters. I have high hopes for Sam and MAx.

Why, oh why are they always using the ingame models for cutscenes as well?

Yeah!! WTF's up with that anyway?? In Grim Fandango the cut scenes had characters with low-polygon count 'X's for fingers instead of the properly shaped hands seen in the opening cut-scene. Very very bizarre. I distinctly remember seeing Glottis' hands at the end of a game in a cut scene looking VERY cruddy.

Also, I know this isn't a cut scene, but what's up with Maximino's cigar?? Couldn't have they put a round circle on the end so it at least slightly resembled a solid object??

Ah, well. Maybe a Special Edition is due with all new cut-scenes and transparent shadows :)

~ John

And analogue controls. And a console release too!

The Sam & Max models don't really look -that- bad. They kind of resemble Mario's face from the start of Mario 64, after you've pulled it about a bit.

If there's one company that can do cartoony 3D models though, It's Nintendo. The Smash Bros guys looks brilliant - But I guess the Full Throttle 2 models improved with time, and there's another year to go yet.

I'm sure Purcell wouldn't alow them to look bad.

Yeah, Nintendo really does know how to make a crisp model, Super Smash Brothers (even though it is the epitomy of mediocrity as far as the fighting genre is concerned) really knows how to render characters while help them retain their cartoony beginnings.

And do you really think that the FT2 graphics are going to improve much? Even if they add shading and shadows to the game it will still be a barren and very distant feeling world...much like EMI.

Archived