Home

A Disturbing Trend...

Havoc Stryphe

First, let me say that I am well aware of where this thread technically belongs, but the very reason as to why I am posting this thread is why I am posting it here.

Secondly, Let me add that this thread is not meant to instigate any forum wars, flame wars, or fighting amoung members. It is merely an observation I have made that has me a little concerned.

I would now like to draw your attention to these threads:

Thread 1

Thread 2 (This on is particularly long, but must be read in it's entirety to witness the affliction of which I am about to expound upon.)

It would seem that at least the Moderation, if not the entire membership, of the MI and Mix-n-Mojo boards are blatantly insulting the members of "Star Wars" forums, including their moderators, but if that were not enough, it seems they are becoming quite the group of elitists and egocentric snobs in general.

Their attitude and complete disregard for others is very disturbing. It seems to cause quite a rift in Lucasforums. It saddens me to see such a divide in such an, otherwise, great community. I believe that their attitudes alone should immediately disqualify them from being moderators.

Just but a little while ago, there was quite an uproar over the whole Point system abuse. Ironically, the same elite moderators I am addressing now, came to the defense of the obvious raping of the point system then, and some were even involved in that heinous plot. Now there are front and center again, in what seems to be a campaign of disregard for the other forums and their members.

The administration promised us during the whole "War of the Points", that they were going to address the situation. Instead of fixing the problem (The corrupt Moderators and membership) they simply did away with the system and diverted our attention to some new "toy" with which, I am sure, members will find a way to exploit and abuse given the proper amount of time and rogue moderator backing.

Why does the Lucasforums' Administration continue to condone the words and actions of these "Moderators" that put down the general membership and even the other moderators? Why do the admins turn a blind eye to such a potentially destructive attitude from those that should be examples of what a productive member should be and not the opposite.

I posted this here, because those moderators are abusive and abrasive in their replies, and band togethor to bring those who speak out to their knees, and I will not endure that for naught. I know that Rhett will see this and should he have valid reasons as to why their behavior and attitude is going unchecked, should please PM me those reasons. I would have PM'd Rhett these very thoughts I type now, but I wanted to give a head's up to my fellow members so they will not be caught in the web of disregard that these "rogue Mods" are weaving. Plus, this would have been 6-7 PM's and I'm too lazy to break it down into such. ;)

Again, I reitterate, though it may at first seem so, I do not wish to start a war or argument, but rather am seeking answers to my, as of yet, unaswered questions. If I have unjustly spoke ill of my fellow MI and Mix-n-Mojo members and Mods, I apologize. If my words seemed harsh, it would seem that their egos are quite capable of handling my slight rebukes and disregarding my "incessant buzzing" and recover just fine, but even so, I apologize in advance for any "false accusations" or "unfounded allegations". However, I think their words and actions speak for themselves, and they should at the very least stop typing the diminuitive remarks of others in their future posts, and keep them merely as the thoughts, however innappropriate, they are.

Does anyone see this behavoir, or am I imagining things. I know Lynk Formmer has observed it, any others?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed it Havoc trust me i have since after i joined in a couple of months and decided to look around LF and popped into i think it was Sam and Max and there where a couple people that would insult me and like you say so i stuck around Jk2 community thinking maybe when i get enough posts they might not call me a n00b anymore but i was wrong. Anyways, i agree with you 100% Havoc the Mojo ( which arent all bad) and Mi community think there better because we like star wars..:p

I too have seen it now that I have broken the bonds that hold me to the Off-Topic Discussion forum of GeeBee.

Posted by Anonymous

but outside of the Star Wars forums there are actually standards and expectations of intelligence.

That part really disappoints me. Especially considering it comes from one on the moderating team.

And I really don't see the need to warn or threaten to ban somebody just because he can't communicate his ideas as well. As others in that thread have vouched, he doesn't seem bad enough to warrant a warning. Ackbar does fine. Delphi did fine. ;)

I always believed that it was fair to give someone a warning for purposeful incompetence. But not for someone who really can't.

Oh well, that's all I have to say about that.

It's a shame! It's a scandal!

Hell, I live in Québec, where english is almost the devil's language for about 45% of the population.

Poor RayJones...

Thank God we don't really have that problem here...I don't think our mods would have a problem with that...

Hey if he has spelling problems you can give him some pointers in a very nice way. Not warn him and threaten him!

It seems we are back into an era of prejudice and disgrace from the rulers.

Originally posted by krkode

Ackbar does fine.

No. he. doesn't. But we're not so xenophobic that we ban him for it. If they held the same standards to all forums that those arse's held RayJones, then half the forum (Including you, Krkode) would've been gone about 2 years ago

Edit: Havoc, I have noticed some elitism around the modding "community" but never this blunt

Originally posted by Clefo

No. he. doesn't. But we're not so xenophobic that we ban him for it. If they held the same standards to all forums that those arse's held RayJones, then half the forum (Including you, Krkode) would've been gone about 2 years ago

Edit: Havoc, I have noticed some elitism around the modding "community" but never this blunt

I apologize for having left myself open for interpretation, and I apologize if I do it some more.

When I said "does fine," I referred to our treatment of him. Except for a few people (;)) most people try to be nice to him, and we don't seek to actively warn and/or ban him. Atleast I've noticed our mods turn a tolerant eye towards his apparent lack of skill, if not many of the members.

And I apologize again for my heinous past; I was young and foolish and new to this country. Now, don't make any wisecracks about how I'm still young and foolish. :D I ain't. ;)

Originally posted by Clefo

In all seriousness, Sherack has a point

He does, but as you said Clefo, we have never seen it so blatant and obvious before. They openly rub the noses of others in their petty faults and differences all the while proclaiming their greatness. It's really quite disturbing...

What we need in this thread, is some music or something that proclaims "Justice!"

If you're a mod and you just try to put people down, then you have some psychiatric problems.. Maybe its caused by a small.. *ahem* never you mind

Originally posted by Sherack Nhar

Well if my experience as an admin here is of any indication, I can tell you that Rhett doesn't really have the power to change the attitude of other mods... The three head honchos are the only ones really running the game :-/

I am well aware of that, but being's he is an admin he could inquire as to why the three head honchos have done nothing, or even press them for some sort of action.

If I were to address them, I would only appear as a lowly, whiny, member who has a "personal agenda". :rolleyes:

:leia: "Help me Boba Rhett! You're my only hope!"

But seriously, Rhett may not have that kind of authority we need, but he can access those who do easier and with much better result than I could ever.

the funny thing about it is as i joined the lucasforums i started posting at the mojo and then mi forum

for me it was fun until the "big habor closedown" ..

most persons stayed away .. but i didnt. i thought i can "keep" some communication and some fun, too ..

:D:D:D

I THOUGHT WRONG ..!

uh.. anyway .. it's quite more fun and more 'colorful' speakers around the other forums .. and i can get hurt or even 'killed' by a mod and its far far from banning .. ;)

the problem is still there i know .. but as i know too, some (one?? :) ) mimods are trying to work on it .. but that will not change the attitudes of the others .. and so on. And its sad that they are so ignorant.. i really cant get what they aim at with it..

but .. :rolleye:

*stands in the center of a circle of mods which are beating him in a random bitch type mode with a plank*

:D

Well, thankfully, I've never played/watched/whatever the heck Mojo and MI, so basically stayed out of those forums, but I have seen the way they treat nonregulars.

and the one person that stands out to me is Merc. Even in #lucasforums his attitude was assholish rude.

Something should be done.

Well, i can't say i fully understand the situation, but i do sense a problem here, from both ends.

First of all, i really don't see the problem in RayJones's posts. Other than the occasional misspelling, they seem perfectly legible to me. I've only read a few, but i didn't have to read any of them twice. I can only conclude that some of the members and mods over there have dyslexia, a severe dislike of Germans, an unfounded elitist and/or nativist jingoism, an unnaturally stupid and/or lazy disposition, or some combination of the above that makes them downright harsh and injust to this forummer. (i was joking about some of those, BTW)

Now, on everyone else's end (including mine, i suppose) it's not mandatory that they like every person they meet. Heck, i don't particularly care for Heavyarms (well, i didn't, and for entirely different reasons), and that's never seemed to be a real problem around here. We all have people we don't like, and other people's preference quite frankly isn't any of our business. And just because they seem to be elitist and think they are better than we are does NOT give us a reason to think that we are better than they.

Now i do understand (and agree) that they shouldn't have been so abrasive with him, as he clearly didn't do much to deserve such harse treatment.

The real problem that i see in this (and i think is at the heart of other's arguments) is not that they don't like the guy, or that they are elitists (hey, that's humanity at its not-so-finest), but the fact they are mods and still doing this. No needs to like a guy, or a guy's speech or typing, or his humor, or his disposition, but as mods, they should be fair. An injust mod is like a corrupt cop: sometimes they do their job, but not when you really need them to.

RayJones doesn't deserve to be banned, nor do any of the MI members or mods, but their position in authority should be analyzed. People so blatently partial and injust (which, IMO, in this case, is still to be determined absolutely) don't deserve position of authority and weight in an institution such as this that is so heavily based on free thought and egalitarianism.

Well we can get a conclusion from this story:

STAY AWAY FROM THOSE FORUMS!

They won't get new members now that this story is out.

People here will even less want to go to those places. He called us all a bunch of idiots(merc). He said that over at the Mix'n Mojo they liked intelligence right?

This points out that the rest of us who started in any Star Wars related forum are therefore called an idiot.

He should be careful we heavily outnumber them.

And we are more ferocious :lightning!

......... :eek:

WOW :eek:

I... I've only lurked... and never there... :eek:

Thank you for bringing this to my attention Havoc, I won't be lurking there if that's how they assault their regular posters. :eek:

I'm going to play the isolationist on this one, cause as long as they don't actually set a foot in the Star Wars forums, I don't really see a problem with them being forum nazis moderators as long as they keep the abuse moderating to their own boards and don't try to take their opinions elsewhere. People will learn that that is not the place to be and they will go other places where they will get more respect from their fellow forummers... i.e. JKII, GB, RSN, the list goes on...

BTW RayJones I have particularly admired your posts and the use of the Angry Beavers in your avatar. You are welcome here anytime. :D

This has been obvious to me since all the forums merged into the LF network. I remember when we all started venturing into other, unfamiliar forums there was more than one skirmish, and one very memorable, very ugly free-for-all in the Sam & Max boards. ( http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25724 )

Things seemed to cool down a bit after that and settle into an uneasy peace and quiet, mostly because folks seemed to gravitate towards forums based on similar games to the ones they were familiar with.

The "Father Tourque Foundation" thread in the Swamp (a "Star Wars" forum these guys, by thier own logic, should have had no interest in, although I have seen them close threads not to thier liking there) seems to have been the catalyst for the recent rounds of hostilities, although it was bubbling under the surface even before that, I'm sure. Zoom and I poking our nose in just about everywhere it could be poked and saying "Hi Folks!" probably didn't help at all, as it didn't seem to go over too well with a few of the people in question here.

The fact that each camp has different Administrators, and that some of these Admins seem to be operating under different rules and standards is the part that is confusing me right now. This thread: ( http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105042 ) is what really started me to wonder exactly what was going on behind the scenes in Admin-land.

The merging of all the forums on the network wasn't a popular move with many people, and I think we are still feeling aftershocks even now from that event.

I don't want to say too much. I agree with you Havoc. I really do. I say **** them. I think that they are not a positive contribution to this forum as a whole. I think that they should just stop making it a goddamn point to ruin people's fun. They can say what they frucken want about intelligence - but let me say this. Its their bad attitudes and general lack of consideration and human decency that show that they must be nothing but worthless pieces of **** outside the internet.

pbguy- girls can kick ass to you know!:D

Anyway seing the threads that edlib just showed us, I think they shouldn't have merge all those LucasArts game. They should have kept the StarWars game on one side and the other games on another side. This kind of creates ghettos but at least people have their peace and don't get flamed. Strange how we are more open minded then those guys...

Archived