Home

Other awesome MOD ideas

jedispy

O.k. so the Dark Forces mod is awesome so far. Here's another idea for a mod......SHADOWS OF THE EMPIRE!!!

O.k. so I may just be dreaming on this one, but I think it has some potential to it. Obviously it would most likely not be possible to do the Hoth air speeder scene, but I think the other elements of the game could be done.

What do you guys think?

Yes it is. Actually Shadows of the Empire was a project that lucasfilm did in 3 tiers. There was a book by Bantam House that was based on the viewpoint of Luke Skywalker. There was a comic book made by Dark Horse Comics that was based on Boba Fett's viewpoint. There was a videogame released by Lucasarts that was based on Dash Rendar's viewpoint.

The videogame was actually released for Nintendo 64 and PC. It was a cool game with decent gameplay. Graphics really stunk though. They were almost as bad as DF2JK. Still the game was pretty cool.

The story of Shadows of the Empire took place between ESB and ROTJ. Han Solo is frozen in carbonite, and Boba Fett is trying to transport him to Jabba's Palace on Tatooine. Of course Boba Fett is being hunted by the other bounty hunters that were hired by Darth Vader on the Executor (Bossk, 4-LOM, Zuckuss, IG-88).

Meanwhile Luke just got his bionic hand installed while Lando and Chewie head off to chase after Fett too. This story introduces two new characters:

Dash Rendar (the Han Solo-like replacement)

Prince Xizor (See-zor) who is the "godfather-like" leader of the Black Sun Crime Syndicate.

All in all it is an awesome story. Personally I think that Lucasfilm could make a CG animated version of it and release it in theaters. The story absolutely rules.

I think a JO mod of SOTE would also rule.

Jedispy

You forget all the marketing they did for it. They made SotE action figures as early as the 3rd series in 1996 :eek: There were Applause statues, micro machines, and tons others. Check out http://www.rebelscum.com to learn more of all the SotE stuff they had made. It's mind boggling, it's not even that great of an EU thing :rolleyes:

SotE didn't play like DF/ JK game do, does it? I remember it being like Rebel Assault, only I can move Dash around instead of disposing of a bunch of enemies before Rookie 1 moved on. I might be wrong, never really played it. Check out Massassi. I remember a Gall Spaceport level. It was nothing like I remembered Gall to be like. There were no Sand Wampas!

"Actually, I've already begun some preliminary work on a SOTE mod for Jedi Academy. "

<Jedispy promises not to make any remarks about how it should be made for JO> ....oops too late. (j/k)

It would be awesome to remake (regardless of which game platform)

No SOTE did not play much like Jedi Outcast. It is more like JO for Xbox (kind of gay really). You can run in any direction, aim, jump and manipulate things like doors. The game play was kind of crappy. What was nice about it, is that it was not just a 3D shooter.

In the first few levels, Dash Rendar is actually a T-47 Pilot (snowspeeder pilot for the unlearned ones in the group) in the battle for Hoth. Of all of the SWESB games I've seen, this one level in SOTE blows them all away. It is perfect. It is flight SIMmy (I just made up a word) enough to where you actually need to use a flight controller (game pad or joystick) to control the T-47. It is kind of challenging because you can only take down AT-ATs with the power harpoons (nice use of SW canon there).

I haven't played through the whole game, but i know there is a speeder bike level too on Tatooine around the jundland wastes.

What would be nice would be if there were actually two mods. One mod is just the old SOTE game in it's pure form. Another mod would include the original game, but with additional levels from Luke Skywalker's point of view, and from Boba Fett's point of view.

Remember that the game was from Dash Rendar's point of view. The comics were from Boba Fett's point of view. The book was from Luke/Leia's point of view. All 3 together would make a pretty PHAT kick @$$ mod.

With all of this in mind, I can see why JA would be better than JO. It would rock if they left it open to where you could add the flight sim capabilities to it.

I'm still waiting for the ultimative game where you first come out from hyperspace, have space combat in a X-Wing in an asteroid fied, dive down to the planets surface, there fight AT-ST and AT-AT like in Roque Squadron, finally land on a plattform and jump out of the X-Wing and start running around like in JO.

And this all should be seamlessly integrated.

I know this would mean huge levels - or at least lightspeed fast reloading ;-)

Ah yes, the Snowspeeder level in SotE. It's my favorite level in the entire game. (though I also liked the Skyhook battle one) I remember renting the N64 game and having a blast with it. It was always too short for my taste, though. Of course, this was before I played the DF/JK series. Now in hindsight, the on-foot portions of SotE were a poor imitation of JK. I mean, Dash never ran out of blaster ammo. he also shot all the weapons out of his pistol!:eek: Still, SotE was a very important game. If it didn't exist, the Rogue Squadron series would never have come about. (the game idea for Rogue Squadron was taken from the Snowspeeder level in SotE) Gall Spaceport was a very fun on-foot level as well. I liked the jetpack action and the chance to fight Boba Fett at the end. Still, given the choice between JK series levels and SotE on-foot levels, I would gladly choose the JK levels.

Originally posted by Salv

A SOTE mod isnt such a far fetched idea really, and all the JA "drivable" vehicles things could be put to good use in such mod.

That's the reason why JA would be the preferred platform.

What I propose is a mod that more or less follows the SOTE game, but possibly expands in some places with the storylines from the Comic and Book. It would still follow Dash Rendar, but perhaps could flick over to Luke, Leia or Chewie for certain scenes if necessary.

Perhaps, with permission, the Hoth Siege map Emon is working on could be converted into 2 (or more) SP levels, a snowspeeder one (without tow cables!) and a Echo Base one. Other vehicle levels would be the swoop chase on tatooine, and the trains leading into the scrapyards.

The space flight levels could be replaced with expanded Ground missions, or just shown in cutscenes to make the story flow.

Here's something I whipped up quickly to whet your appetite;

sote-jo-loadingscreen.jpg

;)

I'll try and get a basic website up sometime before next week to begin to co-ordinate the mod (but I have other projects to work on that take priority - this DF mod for one, plus some model skinning) so don't expect to see much progress in the short term.

O.k. guys. Here is the conclusion to my former b*tc# and moan fest about JA and DFMOD:

IF you guys make a SOTE mod with integration of space-flight/vehicles (like with snowspeeders in SOTE) on JA, then you will leave me no choice.........but to screw my earlier comments and go buy JA.

Jedispy = Hypocrite.

Dark Forces is one thing. But a fully integrated flight-sim and 1st person shooter? That's something else. Heck I'll even be your beta monkey free of charge!! LOL.

Seriously, if JA does support the ability to control vehicles such as X-wings, T-47s, and the like, then by all means use it.

Just don't tell my wife......:(

I don't think a JO mod for JA would be needed. I think a DF2:JK & MOTS Mod is TOTALLY needed however. As I have stated elsewhere, I have seen a lot of models that can be used. I've seen Rahn, Morgan, Mara Jade, Yun, Sariss, Jerec, and a few others that I know I'm forgetting.

Here are some I have not yet seen:

*Boc - Twilek dark Jedi that uses two lightsabers. As I've seen in JA screenshots, that would be simple to code.

*Gork & Pic - Twin brother dark Jedi. Gork is huge (roughly the size of Desann in SP) and Pic is the size of Yoda. Pic uses Jedi Mind Trick and Gork uses force push and choke.

*Maw - I have seen a character for Maw, but is doesn't have the flight support that he has in DF2:JK. I think he uses force choke too...but I can't remember now.

A few other things:

I have seen a few of the "duel chamber" maps where the epic duels of DF2:JK take place. They are very nicely done.

Originally posted by jedispy

Heck I'll even be your beta monkey free of charge!! LOL.

Funny why do you act as if these Modders owe you something?

Downloading a Mod is a privilige not a right; The Mod team can do whatever they want.

Also it has been confirmed by a Raven guy that the X Wing will not be in JA.

Originally posted by spsblue

See other thread! There is a Mod in progress. Both teams are working together on it.

No, despite how anticipated the mods are, they are being done by two seperate teams. At least there is a different team leader. Some texture artists and mappers may be working on both, I dunno. I don't follow up on the JK Enhanced :o

Once I get my new PC, I will either trade in my XBOX JA and use the 15 bucks (:rolleyes: ) to get a PC version for these 3 awesome mods, or just dish out the 50-20 dollars (not sure when the new PC will be here :() for the PC version and keep the XBOX one.

He's a downloadable icon in the downloads section. Looks like they used the Rebel Trooper's head.

Hap, I think you should reconsider making a generic Rebel X-Wing Pilot, cause if your model's design IS better, then I would like to replace JA's with yours. I don't want you to replace your Luke version though, I mean just add another version with a generic Rebel or Jedi head and a new helmet skin.

Uh-oh... Getting off topic now!

Let there be no mistake. I don't mean that the modders owe me anything. I have a lot of respect for their work. If I were more experienced I'd be making my own mods. However I'm not that experienced, nor do I have the time to spare on it. Too many side projects the way it is.

Keep up the good work guys. I'm sorry for being a jerk in other threads by the way.

I'm trying to download the JA demo over my slow @$$ dialup :mad: Thank God for Gigex!! I can't wait to get it downloaded completely.

Jedispy

• 4 weeks later...

O.k. So JA is cool. I have only played the Demo so far. I don't have the $$$ to buy it, and I'm not into piracy anymore.

For the unfortunate poor souls among us <Jedispy raises his hands vigorously> would the DFMOD work on the JA demo at all? Is it even possible to load mods on the JA demo?

I will buy JA eventually. However since that may be a while off, I was hoping that the demo could somehow play the DF MOD until then.

Any ideas?

Jedipsy

:lechuck:

Ah, ha, ha, har! Come on,... piracy is fun! The fighting, the pillaging, the endless days at sea in horrible conditions all condensing into a greatly reduced life expectancy,... What more could anyone ask?

Anyway,... I might be wrong, but I don't think you can add anything on to the demo.

Oh yeah,... 26 days!? That sure was a long download! :dev7:

Archived