Home

300fps and beyond!

Chewy289

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Chewy289

Haha, I can get 333fps in JA with a GeForce4 Ti4200 in SP and MP.

Check the screenie:

fps.jpg

Is this...uh...normal?

I guess it could be...but its not going to matter unless you have your screen refresh all the way up. ><

50-100 is optimum for most monitors.

I'd guess you're not running with all your settings on maximum. I've got a GF4Ti4200 as well. I don't get 333fps.

My FPS is usually around 60 to 80, but that's at 1152x864x32bit with all settings on maximum.

If you're getting that kinda framerate, you might want to think about raising your details levels or resolution. Otherwise, it's just going to go to waste. Nobody can tell the difference between 300fps and 100fps.

Since the dawn of Q3 it has mattered, FPS affects in-game physics, certain FPS values increase the physics to your advantage...admittedly in a game like JA the effect will not be as noticeable as games like Elite Force/Quake 3, but it's still there. It helps with stuff like jumping higher, dodging faster, increases fire rate (slightly but it means u can give off a second round that little bit faster).

I'm getting about 80fps on my GF4Ti4200 (with EAX turned off). I do, however, have dynamic glow on. That seems to me to be th only difference. Would turning that off make so much of a difference? Almost 4 times increase in FPS?

Oh, and yes. My maxfps is set to 100. I never reach 100, though.

Originally posted by Stafire13

I'm getting about 80fps on my GF4Ti4200 (with EAX turned off). I do, however, have dynamic glow on. That seems to me to be th only difference. Would turning that off make so much of a difference? Almost 4 times increase in FPS?

Oh, and yes. My maxfps is set to 100. I never reach 100, though.

With a 4200 try what I do:

com_maxfps 200

r_dynamicglow 0

Set the maxfps to 200 not 100, and dynamic glow does make a big difference.

The average human being's eyesight only refreshes at around 45-50fps. A professional-level gamer may be pushing 100, but anything beyond that is just wasted, both from a hardware standpoint and from a human capability perspective.

Originally posted by Ardent

The average human being's eyesight only refreshes at around 45-50fps. A professional-level gamer may be pushing 100, but anything beyond that is just wasted, both from a hardware standpoint and from a human capability perspective.

That's not actually true. You don't see in frames, your eyes don't have a refresh rate. Your eyes are constantly taking in streams of light and images. You can really "perceive hundreds of frames per second", although you're not going to notice it going over about 60 to 100, simply because the extra stuff, even if you are seeing it, is unnecessary.

By the way, is dynamic glow causing extreme slowness for everyone else? How about you guys on nVidia cards? I can't understand why it's so damn slow, even when there's no glowing stuff on my screen, I still only get like 30 FPS! And this is on my Athlon XP 2000+, Radeon 9700 Pro and 768 MB of PC2100... Before I thought it was only a problem on ATI cards, but you guys seem to be having trouble with it, too...

Originally posted by Emon

That's not actually true. You don't see in frames, your eyes don't have a refresh rate. Your eyes are constantly taking in streams of light and images. You can really "perceive hundreds of frames per second", although you're not going to notice it going over about 60 to 100, simply because the extra stuff, even if you are seeing it, is unnecessary.

Well obviously eyes don't refresh. I should have put that in quotation marks, but whatever. The point is the average human simply can't make use of more than 50fps. Some people can make use of up to 100fps, but...you're not one. >< The testees who could make use of that many fps are all military fighter pilots (and maybe a stuntman, can't remember clearly). Professional gamers ranked in somewhere around 80fps...and these are the people who make a living doing what most of us do for fun.

You can "take in" as many fps as a computer can generate, but you'll only make use of about 50 of them per second, on average. Those frames are the only frames the optical nerve ignites the nervous synapse to the part of the brain determining reaction. So...anything else really is fluff. ;)

Eh, it's higher than that. I notice FPS drops all the time from 85 to 60, it's not that hard. I don't notice them in play, nor do I care, only when I'm looking.

Military pilots saw and identified planes that were flashed on a screen in 1/220th of a second, most everyone would see the flash (no matter how short it would seem to them), but without practice, they couldn't recognize the plane like the pilots can.

Originally posted by Ardent

Actually, if you had any level of familiarity with the quake 3 engine you'd realise that certain frame rates boost your movement. Human capability and whatever doesn't matter, and nobody uses certain framerates for that reason anyway, it's purely for a gameplay boost.

The most desired frame rate is generally 125fps, seeing as it's easy to maintain this rate without heavily tweaking the graphics, and that it 'boosts' the distance you jump, which means faster strafe-jumping and slightly longer jumps. There are other frame rate values that give the same effect, 125 is just about the best, but there are some that are fractionally better, I think.

Here's some links with more info on it:

http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Quake3/FAQFPSJumps.html

http://q3tricks.quakexpert.com/tutorials/framerate.htm

Frame rate matters because the physics system is dependent on frame rate.

I must admit that I'm interested to see the full screenshot with 500fps ;) as a comparison here is what i get with the rig specs:-

1280 x 1024 4xAA 16xAF High Quality textures and detail settings (everything max in OpenGL driver settings)

The rig is an XP2500 @ 223x11 (~2.5Ghz)

512 Mb DDR3500 (2-3-3-10)

Radeon 9800 non pro @ 411/357 (20k in 3dmark01)

My framerate hovers between 150 & 200 in most maps and in some of the more complex maps it drops to 75

heres a screeny:-

shot0045.jpg

basically once you go above 60fps slowdown is unperceptible so if you have a mad amout of frames per second why not use that excess power to improve image quality with stuff like Anti Aliasing & Anisotropic Filtering. IQ is the real bonus of todays graphics cards, sheer framerate has become far less of an issue.

Originally posted by Chewy289

All my game settings are max, refresh rate is lowest possible, monitor resolution is 1024x768, GeForce4 Ti4200, and I can get 300fps.

sorry but that is BS.

i have a 4600 and i don't get 300 fps with everything maxed. i only get around 200 or so.

Archived