Home

JKA: Vehicles WIP - Speeder Bike, STAP & Dewback Pix

monsoontide

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by monsoontide

I was looking through the .veh file and there is a line for number of passengers - all are set to 1 currently and I'm not sure how to add the extra rider TAGS.

that would allow for some cool vehicles then... like luke's landspeeder. :D

EMON - I'm guessing that's pretty close!

I managed to get one of the models from Lightwave into a MD3 thismorning, so once all the textures are done and I've fine-tuned everything on that one model, I'll have a go at making it into a vehicle!

Once I get the process worked out - all the others should be fairly easy (Except the animals - since I'll need to work out how to animate them - I hope I don't need to do anything with XSi or 3DSmax!)

As for the scout trooper - I need help with the "bone weighting" & tags etc and just getting him from a model into the game. If anyone can provide assistance, that would be really cool.

(I also modeled his blaster - either to go on the model or perhaps someone can point me in the direction of a gun-making tutorial for JK - Thanks :) )

Monsoontide

BTW - I'll be releasing these vehicles individually for everyone to use, although I have some plans to use some in a couple of my maps.

Hey! Flying the lambda shuttle in JK:JA is cool! Too bad the control method for space-ships really suck - Hmmm, I wonder if they can be adjusted!

monsoontide, i have seen you thread just now. i am working on a STAP and a speeder bike too, but i dont want to be a competition for you nor the other way around, so way not working togehter? one thing we should discuss, thats the naming of the models, so people can get both of our model without getting trouble. i named them >stap< and >speeder_bike<, the folders and those things you know. we both could give it a second addition so its clearer which model is which. what names do you use?

Your Dewback is realy great, but for animated models you need to use the XSI way. it doesnt work with milkshape and modelview, because you have to create a .gla animation file for it. but if you want we could work together on that. i already made new animation, its my droideka model and it will work the same way like your Dewback will. i am still working on that to figure out some more possibileties.

i could also help you with the scout trooper weighting, but i think there is already a scouttrooper released for JO, but i am not sure.

so what you think, better work together then against each other?

Duncan_10158 - I've only just started actually naming the files mine all have the prefix - JA - eg. JA_Stap

so no real problem there - people can pick and choose - I think it's always good to have variety, so a little bit of competition there is fine. - Do you have any pix of your work?

I would however really appreciate any help animating the Dewback & Acklay as I don't have XSi.

Also help with the scout trooper would be great - You're right, there was an untextured Beta version of a scout trooper released for JO, but since it's never been finished, I wanted to do my own for the speeder bike.

Monsoontide

great, lets work together. here is the thread on my models:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=114003

about the file names, i have a suggestion, lets both add a suffix, my model would be named >stap_dun< and yours >stap_mon<? if the only difference is you got a JA prefix, people will get confused. they think my model must be for JO then, or some even more confusing :)

i also saw your tag and skin problem. i dont know exaxtly about the skins, it could be something wrong in your model_default.skin file, your texture has a wrong size proportion (128x128, 256x256, 512x512 or 1024x1024) or an incorrect path name or file name.

i add the tag right in the modeling program as small triangles and export it with the model. but dont know that for milkshake.

it would be also cool if we compare our .veh files. surely it would be fun if our vehicles are different in driving, but one shouldnt be two times faster, you know. that makes people download both of our models :)

Glad you've managed to get your models in-game.

Are you using 3DS or GMAX?

What did you call your tags?

just *driver

or tag_*driver?

I don't think people will get confused though, since vehicles are only in Jedi Academy. But your plan is sound, so I have no objections.:)

Ya know - can I send my stap.glm your way and see if you can get it to work?

Monsoontide

I use 3ds max for modeling, this way i can make new animations too.

all the tag are named bolt_something, for ex. bolt_driver. there is no >*< in the word. the center is the gravitational center, you know. the middle of the triangle shows what have to be there.

i am very happy about your agree to a naming convention, that will make our work much less confusing, thanks.

if you want you can sent me your .glm file, posibly an exported 3ds version. if you like i can sent you my model in exchange. you can take look at them in game and you can see my solution to the driver problem.

take also a look in my thread, i answerd your question there too.

A-ha!

That me be the problem.

I was working of an example in another thread that stated that the tags should be *rider.

I checked the swoop.glm and it imported with *driver, so I used:

*driver

*muzzle1

*muzzle2

*exhaust1

*exhaust2

I expect quake doesn't like the * glyph.

so then I take it your syntax is:

bolt_driver

bolt_muzzle1

bolt_muzzle2

bolt_exhaust1

bolt_exhaust2

Sorry to spread these replies over two threads!

Perhaps we should condense them into a combined thread?

Anyways, will try that when I get home and if it doesn't change anything, will send you the model as per my other reply :)

Monsoontide :sweating:

Archived