Home

What are the coolest in-game worlds you’ve ever seen?

nycgamer

I really love the look of MYST but the game itself is very dull. I’ve been playing through TRON 2.0 as fast as I can because I can’t wait to see the next level. The levels are brilliant!! For anyone who hasn’t played it, I highly recommend the gold demo (http://www.tron20.net). Morrowind, Mafia, and Vice City also all have remarkable in-game worlds for sheer size and things to explore. Max Payne 2 has a lot of interactivity with environmental objects which lends realism to the experience. What do you think makes a gaming environment great and which games do you think set the standard?

Originally posted by Chuahtemoc

say 007:Goldeneye.

Can't believe I forgot that. Simply the best game ever. ;)

Originally posted by nycgamer

I've played Nightfire, but I never really got to play much of any other Bond game, although I hear that Goldeneye is like THE Bond game of all time. What was so great about it, as it compares to Nightfire and the others?

Goldeneye was the quintessential Bond game (or first person shooter for that matter) It was revolutionary in gameplay, graphics and "realism" and set the bar for all FPS afterwards. I highly reccomend that you try it. ;)

Daggerfall for me, had probably the most interesting world, when you play that, you really feel like your there, MW was nice, but since it was so small compared to Daggerfall, the world felt like a typical rpg.

Mafia also had an excellent world, I love this game so much and now that I've just read this game managed to sell over 800,000 copies plus the console ports are on the way, a sequel definitely has to be on the way.

Some others I really loved.

Equinox

Xenogears

Nosgoth

So many wonderful game worlds, I have to admit I found max payne1 just so spooky. The NY portrayed in it was just oppressive and evil...

However, I have to admit, the games with the most amazing, in depth worlds are the various installments of the final fantasy series. Each has a unique "world map" which you get to traverse all over through the course of any game... My fave, is Final Fantasy 9, very old world and fairy tale like in its presentation and locales....

I have to admit I found JA definitely more 'atmospheric' than any of its predecessors, especially the hoth and vjun levels...... love 'em..very 'star warsy'

MTFBWYA

I'm going to have to say PlanetSide.. Nice big outside worlds. One of the few games that made my jaw drop when I first got into the wilderness. Also the beginning of the Fellowship of the Ring game had pretty good scenary. The game sucked, but the first level was eye-candy.

Aparently some of the most interesting worlds come from rather dull games.

I adored Morrowind's first mounth. After that I had already fulfilled them Ashlander prophecies and was on my way to "mount doom" (lol sorry couldn't help myself).

While interesting in one form... it's kidna boring on the other... cuz you had to do similar stuff over and over again.

*Kill this guy/best in placeX

*Get ItemX in placeX (usually involving killing alot too)

Social traits are really only used for buying selling. Info you will get one way or the other.

So just pick the best fighting skills or go mage with lots of offensive and healing magic and let the enemies fall at your feet.

PC RPGs leave so much to be desired. I mean... graphically, the world of morrowind is beautyful. Lot's of weird fauna and flora, diferent types of landscapes and climates. Gorgeous skies. Yet worse than average character/npc models, below average animation (the guy runs like he has a stick shoved up his butt) and repetitive boring gameplay and quests.

Oh wait im getting abit off topic here.

As far as sets go I'd go with morrowind (just for the sets as mentioned). I liked the first Resident evil... everything was so spooky about that mansion.. the sounds contributed imensily.

Max Payne 1 and 2 sure deserves a thumbs up cuz of all the interaction and film noir mood. Unreal 2k3 has great maps as well.

America's Army: Operations is getting pretty good. It's interesting when one saw the game as it was...and one sees the game as it's now. it's like watching a childe grow ;P The game surelly is good and has even more potential. The effects are getting better and better. And what was a standard UT mod like game is now totally diferent and i can't even say they have the same engine origin.

Originally posted by BawBag™

Can't believe I forgot that. Simply the best game ever. ;)

Goldeneye was the quintessential Bond game (or first person shooter for that matter) It was revolutionary in gameplay, graphics and "realism" and set the bar for all FPS afterwards. I highly reccomend that you try it. ;)

Even if I could find a N64 somewhere, I think I'd be afraid to play Goldeneye now ~ especially after Call Of Duty, which has even made most of the other modern shooters seem anti-climactic by comparison. The only shooter that can't really be compared to other shooters, at least from a visual standpoint, is TRON 2.0. It's an incredible-looking game;

tron2_082103_029.jpg

Shenmue

and

Shenmue II

:D

Of course there are others... Operation Flashpoint has the greatest world created for a war game, and Republic: The Revolution's world is great too - if a little daunting. Even though it technically isn't a world, the Freelancer universe had me hooked for a few weeks :p

Archived