Home

JA+ Mod 1.4 (admin mod)

slider

Originally posted by FK | unnamed

put an icon in the in-game browser for honor servers, kind of like the way you have icons for saber only and such.

Hell, I'll take anything at this point. Just let me know that this is the kind of server it is. Right now I have to go a server, kill someone, get verbally abused for playing the game, get kicked, and repeat 5 times before I find somewhere to play. God knows the majority of honour servers don't say so in the start up message.

If I know where to go right off the bat I'll go there.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Admiral Chemix

People have a right to chat, to talk, and to explore the server, they need not always fight.

If you want to chat, use programs that are designed for that (Like ICQ or mirc or AIM or MSN Messenger to name a few). If you want to chat in the middle of a bunch of people trying to play the game the way it was designed to be played, stay out of the way and don't whine when you get "killed". Big deal, just keep chatting while "dead" or respawn with 125 health and 25 shields. I've done it a thousand times. What's the big deal? If you are wasting time chatting, you clearly don't care about getting the highest score, so who cares if your character is "killed"? Does it wound your pride or hurt you physically somehow? Geez, it's a game, it's not really you in there, in case you didn't notice.

If you want to "explore", you don't need to go to a server to do that, you can do that at home. Just use "Play Solo Game", don't add any bots, and wander around all you want with no fear of being "lamed". Don't take up valuable server space and bandwidth "exploring" and "wandering around doing nothing" as TK puts it. Duh!

Originally posted by slider

woa !!!

Admiral Chemix,

i began to wonder if there were a normal person here who is enough open minded to understant both parties...... :)

So people who don't agree with you aren't "normal" or "open minded"? "woa !!!", no arrogance there.

If people want to just chat, explore, and role-play on a server without fear of being "lamed", you don't need an admin mod with all those abuse commands. Just put these lines in your server config file:

seta g_forcepowerDisable "12760" //disables all Dark Forces, Push, and Pull

seta g_weapondisable "524279" //disables all guns and explosives

seta g_saberdamagescale "0"

//lightsabers do minimal damage, or set to "0.1", "0.2", etc. for a little more damage for very long and honorable duels. Don't forget to bow first!

It will be pretty hard for anyone to be "lamed" or "killed" in any way with those settings.

Then to inform people as to the nature of the server:

seta sv_hostname "^6Honorable Role-playing, Chatting, and Exploring Server- Lamers Keep Out!"

seta g_MOTD "^6RPG, chat or explore only, no fighting allowed, except for honorable duels!"

With those settings everyone can be happy and leave each other alone to play the way they like, without the abuse of adminmods.

if the problem is the admin cmds, i don't think a client side pk3 will solve the problem because a lot of server love the admin cmds and they might all want to install the full mod and not a part....

according to me , by giving the oportunity to server owners to disallow all cmd admins, they can create a server where the rule is "NO rule" without being afraid of abusing admin....

Slider, If an admin wants the abusive commands he'll download that version, it's not like he/she's accidentally abusing people and ruining other people's fun.

Also RGP, a client-side dl won't solve anything, only give grief and long dls if downloading from a server (which will lag everyone), not only that but there's no need for it since anything that will be put in it, doesn't need to be client side. ?????

Originally posted by slider

if the problem is the admin cmds, i don't think a client side pk3 will solve the problem because a lot of server love the admin cmds and they might all want to install the full mod and not a part....

:confused: Yes it can have all the admin junk. You can have all that stuff and still make the client download it.

according to me , by giving the oportunity to server owners to disallow all cmd admins, they can create a server where the rule is "NO rule" without being afraid of abusing admin....

But that doesn't mean that the server owner will disallow it, hardly any of them disallow all that junk. Just remove 'em.

Originally posted by Master William

I feel a familiar smell... It's... a flamethrower :eek:

Damn right you did, now shut up before I blowtorch your soapbox for the umpteenth time, ****ing relentless board troll.

Now, where was I... Oh yes. Despite Professor Kurgan Longwinded, Amidala, and others attempts to reason with slider, he remains to be a rather dense fellow.

First of all, those "commands" you so love to boast about, the ones where you can lock down admin commands deemed abusable... This goes back to unnamed's post in relation to rcon. People are clueless as hell about rcon. Instead of learning about the Quake III engine, or any engine in particular, people feel the need to download these to administrate their server because they cannot do so with the resources provided.

Not only do you a.) get clueless newbie administrators who do not know how to lock down these abusive commands, and instead run them out in the open, but b.) you get the proliferation of material that causes wide scale abuse on a multitude of levels.

Instead, you decide to disavow the actions of those who use your mod in favor of abusable actions, evade rational/reasonable thought and arguments with arrogance, and disregard history in favor of "1337ness."

At least ChosenOne and Hex are looking into ways to absolve and eradicate the abusive commands. Your ****job is comparable to BOFH's POS hackjob of Dest's JediMOD in JKII.

And just for good measure.

grammar.jpg

I swore I had a premonition of this happening.

EDIT: I also swear that I get BOTF and BOFH mixed up.

I tried contacting Slider on this via PM here on the forums but recieved no response. I wanted to do this that way because TBH, I'm tired of repeating myself on this topic but I am going to for the good of the community; or at least in the efforts for.

I apologize about this large post but again, this isn't the first time I've (actually we've) had to deal with this topic so I just want to cover anything that might be said in reply before it is said.

For those of you who don't know me, I'm the lead developer on the Cool Mods project & I work almost every day with most of the big name coders in the community for concept design on their projects & some other various things as well.

The coders & I are very concerned with some of these commands because we don't want to destroy the JK3 community like the abusive commands have destroyed the JK2. It *is* the coders responsibility to not allow abusive commands get into the hands of the community because there are people out there who will abuse them.

Let's go over the WBB rule again, shall we folks...

#1 Warn them: Some of the coders are developing a command like the say command that puts large text in the center of this players screen so they don't miss what the admin is warning them about.

If they continue to violate your rules or whatever the case may be you...

#2 Boot them: Once they get booted, they have the opportunity to join up once again but at least get the picture that you're not messing around with them.

Maybe even having a "we strictly enforce the Warn, Boot, Ban rule here" message in the MotD so they get the picture even better.

If they continue to violate your rules or whatever the case may be you...

#3 Ban them: There are 2 types of connections, static & dynamic. If they have a static IP they are stuck with 1 IP only & if it's a dynamic IP, there are only 256 different IPs that person can use. Chosen One has a command that bans out a certain IP range specifically for dynamic IP users.

Following the Warn, Boot, Ban rule will ALWAYS solve your problem without abusing admin functions - ALWAYS. Anything other than this is admin abuse & makes the admin certainly no better than the "lamer" client user the admin is using the abusive commands against. Furthermore, no one has said anything to prove to me (or anyone else for that matter, imparticularly the other coders of the community) that these commands provide anything useful to the community. It just simply destroys it.

Example:

Lets say a guy goes out & buys JA. He finally figures out how to join an online game & joins a server running this mod (since this is server-side, more than likely not even knowing this is a modd'ed server). He doesn't bow before battle and/or attacks a person while they are bowing, not knowing any better because he just bought the game; Or maybe the guy is just kicking the admins butt so the admin of the server labels him a "lamer" & slaps the guy around, freezes him does all kinds of other uncool things etc; etc. so the guy leaves the server & joins another. Now this happens to him again & again from time to time. Would you want to keep playing the game if this is kept happening to you? This was a very mild example of some of the stuff people do with these types of commands in their power. This *was* the biggest downfall in JK2.

Please join the other coders in the community in this effort. Some of the coders that have already joined in this effort are Chosen One (Jedi Academy mod for JK2 & Jedi Academy Reloaded mod for JK3 coder), Mars (Vulcanus admin mod for JK2 coder), Razorace (MotF for JK2, JK3(?), & OJP coder), Lee Oattes (Duelers mod for JK2 & JK3 coder) isn't actually "in" our circle for the most part but does agree with our feelings towards the commands, Moria (bladeworks mod coder (all the @BWN servers)), RenegadeOfPhunk (Movie Battles mod for JK2 & JK3(?) coder), etc; etc. There are some others as well but those are the ones (aside from Lee) I am personally in contact with the most.

The standard stereotypical mentality of the admin abusers is "Well if you give them a good slap, they might just reconsider being a lamer next time" but that's WRONG - THEY MIGHT JUST RECONSIDER PLAYING JK ALTOGETHER, THUS THE "DESTROYING OUR COMMUNITY" COMES INTO PLAY. If you are the type of person who says "good, we get rid of them either way" then it's appearent that the only person you care about is yourself. You only want what you want even if that means turning others off to the game. There are other options that are not abusive & are effective.

Slider - don't get me wrong, I'm not attacking you or your mod dude. I'm sure you have some good stuff in here but any of these types of commands should be removed. There is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON WHATSOEVER why an admin would need to explode a player, slap a player, use any cheats that gives admins more ammo/health than everyone else or refill or whatever, etc; etc. these types of commands have been abused in the past & will continue to be abused in the future if you allow it.

As always when dealing with the abusive admin commands topic, I'm going to refer as many of the coders & other developers in the community I know to this thread so they can put in their 2 cents as well. Some of which already have.

Originally posted by Rumor

Wrong TK82347723497987347

You can private chat any person in the server from anywhere on the map.

I've said many times, call me TK. Unnamed calls me TK, why not you?

And no you CANNOT private chat with people from anywhere on the map. You have to have your crosshair aimed at a certain person to private chat with them.

Originally posted by TK8252MJL

I've said many times, call me TK. Unnamed calls me TK, why not you?

And no you CANNOT private chat with people from anywhere on the map. You have to have your crosshair aimed at a certain person to private chat with them.

Nope, wrong. There's a console command to private message a certain client number in the server.

Ask rumor what the command is because I forgot and haven't really ever used mm3 in the first place.

slider: you say you are going to make two version of the JA+ mod in the future.. one with abusable amlame commands (only for good and careful admins) and one with out them (for the majority).

My question for you is, HOW will you determine who the "good" and "careful" admins are who will use the abusable command version?

HOw will you prevent "bad" admins from trying to get the abusable version and giving it to their abuse-happy friends?

Btw guys, Xmod2 2.1.2 already has an anti-laming feature.

Here is how it works:

(with the command set by the admin):

Anybody turns off their saber completely (ie: only works for saber, not melee or one blade off).

They have to stand still for 15 seconds (the admin can change this time and it is announced to everyone). That means they can't do ANY ACTION except aiming with the mouse or chatting. IF they switch weapons, crouch, turn on saber, the clock resets until they turn off the saber and stand still again.

After the 15 seconds (Or whatever time) is up, they become totally invincible. The instant they do an action they are fully vulnerable again.

HOWEVER, they are only invulnerable to Force Powers, Melee Attacks and Saber attacks. Guns fully hurt them, so people can't abuse this feature in a guns server (and honor folk only care about sabers anyway).

All an admin has to do if they want honor on their server, simply make it sabers only, and it will be foolproof!

During their invulnerable period, Force attacks and melee attacks (like kicks) do nothing to them.

If a person slashes them with a saber or throws a saber blade at them, the blade immediately shuts off and falls to the floor for a few seconds (admin decides this, but it was 1-3 seconds I think). Also a text message appears on the "Lamer"'s screen telling them what happened.

This "honor feature" is going to be in the next version of Xmod2.. that's what Hex, the creator of the mod told me when he showed me the feature on his server.

THIS feature will revolutionize admin mods, so talk to Master Hex, I'm sure he'd share how to do it on your's. Amslap will thus become useless and admin authors will not mind removing it and the honor players (except the bullies who just want to humiliate people) will be okay with it.

Thus there is no need to punish "lamers." People who want to stand around with saber off and chat can do so without fear of being killed by lamers!

And it can't be abused because you have to stand still for 15 seconds and you can't do anything but chat and look around!

slider, you really should talk to Hex, maybe he'll share that part of the code and you can be a hero to the community!

GEEZ MAN, you can't make all modders do exactly what you want, abusive admin= leave server and go somewhere else, admins will lame with and without these commands if they wish, destroying mods with the only purpose to stop what has already happened makes little sense.

you have been reading eh? then you wouldn't of needed to post that

Archived