Home

As if TV wasn't bad enough...

Kylilin

[ANGRY RANT] I just got back from spending the best six bucks and three and a half hours of my life. AKA - Return of the King. My only gripe is this, why are there 17 commercials shown before movies nowadays? They never used to do that before last year. And even then, it was only like one commercial. I mean, I sat through at least 8 useless commercials that I see on TV all the time. One of the perks of the movie theatre is that there are no commercials, now they've taken that away. [/ANGRY RANT]

Yeah, I noticed (and was bugged to hell over) that too. Since I haven't been to a movie since The Two Towers it really jumped out at me.

They weren't even good commercials, let alone GREAT ones. I could see it if they were Superbowl-quality, cinema-exclusive ads that you walk away talking about... but most of them were boring, stupid ads I have seen on TV.

What I don't understand is: why they are there? On TV and radio, commercials are what funds the content, which is delivered free. But in a cinema I am paying a premium to sit in that seat and see that content. The cost of my ticket should be paying for the production of the content, as well as the overhead for the place of delivery. There should be no need for additional ads for products that have nothing to do with movies or the cinema structure I am seeing it in.

If it could be proven to me that ticket prices would be much, much higher without additional advertising, then maybe I would feel less violated about it... but I suspect that a profit would be made without them anyway. With them it's just that much higher...

I'll just keep buying movies on DVD when one I have to see goes on sale, and wait until the next huge "event" film (most likely Star Wars 3) hits the big screen before I go back to my local enormo-Multiplex.

WORD, edlib, WORD. ^_~

Just saw RotK last night. LOVED it. :D Fortunately, they only had one or two tawdry stupid TV commercials before they went to the trailers...

Now TRAILERS, I don't mind, in fact I love seeing before a movie. I mean, they're made to impress and are often quite worthy of being big-screen. But ordinary commercials? For crying out loud, can't they at least make some Extra Special commericals for the cinema? Ew...

Originally posted by Jared

since when do you post here??

I mean...uh...welcome.

anyways about the commercials I hate them.

stupid advertisers, no one wants to see that crap in a movie theater.

What? Am I intruding in your secret hideout? The people in the other places never reply, I need some more people to talk to. I'm lonely... And bored... Like always :¬:

Yes, I'm all for the trailers - but damn the price for movies now-a-days. Does anybody remember $3.50???? I do...I wish!

Yes - those damn commercials. It used to be the paid ads that were flashed on screen while you were waiting for the movie - the movie trivia. Which was okay. But now they play commercials while you are waiting. WTF?

Its ridiculous. Its like...okay HOW LONG TILL THE MOVIE ACTUALLY STARTS?

/end rant

Originally posted by The Master

Oh come now. Patience is a virtue. Your going to see the movie in good time. Use that time to talk to people or spend some quality time with that specail person you've dragged along to the movies with you.

Thats what dinner before the movie is for.

Originally posted by The Master

Oh come now. Patience is a virtue. Your going to see the movie in good time. Use that time to talk to people or spend some quality time with that specail person you've dragged along to the movies with you.

but....the movie damn it....the movie!!

Originally posted by IG-64

What? Am I intruding in your secret hideout?

umm...yes....yes you are.......now they found it...thanks alot.....^^

Originally posted by IG-64

What? Am I intruding in your secret hideout? The people in the other places never reply, I need some more people to talk to. I'm lonely... And bored... Like always :¬:

Please forgive my fellow Areseners and their BOORISH behavior. :dozey: They're just jealous of you because they don't have cool droid names like you...

;)

So they're filling the movie trailers up with blatant ads now, huh? I saw this coming years ago, when I quit going to movie theaters. I just wait until it comes out on VHS, and fast-forward through that crap. Besides...this way I'm able to properly enjoy a movie with my good friend *Old Toby.*

Oh, and there is this. :max: Madison Avenue: if you do manage to get my attention on teevee or (God forbid) in a pop-up, it will be for the purpose of identifying which product I specifically will NOT be buying in the future. Thank you.

I remember the days when you actually had some of your massive pots of sweets/popcorn and oversized drink left when the movie started. These days the popcorn is now the pre-movie entertainment.

How did it come to this?

Working in a theater, i know why we have all them damned advertizsements and prices keep climbing.

1) Prints cost lots of money. a can of 3 hour film can cost hundreds of dollars, and if it's an expensive movie, thousands. one may not seem like a big deal, but if something like LotR is showing, in 4 theaters, in one theater, it's about 4k. now, multiply that by the number of theaters doing that. Ouch.

2) Electric, water, and soda. People use the bathroom. Projectors use super bulbs, there's lights, neon, and SODA. Regal switched to Coke simply because it was CHEAPER. Resrockig that concession stand can cost a pretty penny, if you consider the product moving.

3) Payroll. I don't think anything needs to be said about this. ^_^

4) Taxes. Theaters are HUGE. Property taxes kill. Corperate taxes kill. Hell, taxes on the FOOD in the concession and the TICKETS kill.

so, total, out of a typical 7.75 ticket, we get about 10% of it.

out of an average concession sale, say, 20.00, we get about 20%

not easy making money in this buisness sometimes. ^_^

There is no way movie theatres make as small of a profit as you are saying, no way. Everywhere I look there is a new theatre being built. New records for movie profits are being set and rest on a yearly basis.

I think there are advertisements in movie theatres simply because they are being paid to show them. I think its unreasonable for me to shell over $10 bucks (the price of a ticket in NYC) to watch a half an hour of commercials before the half an hour of previews before the movie.

"Do you want to know the truth about cinema advertising? For 3 years, The Department of Defence has been suppressing information from you about cinema advertising and thus endangering the welfare of hippies.

In December 1999, Newt Gingrich met with Good Charlotte in Hamburg to discuss the growing tide of Lord of the Rings movies. As it happens, they engaged in drug snorting and ended up hatching a plan involving the the Illuminati in Bavaria.

As a result, all details of the meeting were suppressed, as was information about dealings with McDonalds and their ties to political assassination.

A report in The New York Times was mysteriously pulled from newsstands in February of last year. The article implicated high-ranking officials in the Rand Corporation, various stockbrockers, and, perhaps not surprisingly, Stephen Speilberg. According to the report, passages in the book "Lord of the Flies" and lyrics in Led Zeppelin 's music point to a connection between these individuals and cinema advertising.

According to a spokesman at The New York Times, the issue was pulled because of printing errors. However, individuals who saw the original copies say that there were no printing irregularities and that the re-issue differed from the original only in the absence of this article.

The lies and deception must be stopped. Don't let the government hide the facts about cinema advertising any longer. Learn the truth!"

Archived