Home

To the moderators....

CaptainRAVE

I havent been here for a while, but it seems that there is about 10 times as much spamming as there used to be. Most of the threads have the same person posting every other post with loads of irrelivant conversation.

Do you actually exist?? Do you actually do anything??

There used to be some spam, but not this much!!!

Spam spoils the forums.

I agree spaminiing is getting out of hand can you just delete their post instead that you their post count goes down cause thats all there trying to do is get high post count. I am a Forum administrator over at AOTCTC and I am very strict I usally delete their post if its spam and I warned them and it works they stop spamming after awhile so I suggest this method, it works.

Originally posted by CaptainRAVE

Do you actually exist?? Do you actually do anything??

There used to be some spam, but not this much!!!

Spam spoils the forums.

First question. Yes, we do exist. Wait, hang on...

*checks he does*

Ok, yes, we do exist. Onto your next question. Yes, we are here for a reason, even though you may not think so. We are aware of what is going on. And contrary to what you claim, this isn't the worse the forum has been...couple weeks ago, I was just looking back at when I joined the forum in May 2002 (just after JK2 came out)...and I was thankful that little period was over ;P It was all spam, spam and more spam, left right and centre. Believe me, this is not as bad as it gets.

The reason for the "spam" (as you call it) is most likely due to the influx of members after the release of a major game title, in this case, JA. The amount of spam and trolling in the JA and JK2 forums is horrendous compared to the Swamp, and it takes a lot to keep it all under control. Thank goodness it's started to die down now.

As for the Swamp...I wouldn't call it all irrelevant nonsense. Like I said, it's been a lot worse than before, and we are aware of those users who abuse the "off-topic" rule, and those users will face the consequences of their actions. If anyone is so annoyed by the amount of "spam" in here (though I personally reckon it isn't that bad), how about making more sophisticated responses to certain topics? Or perhaps, posting "more interesting" topics altogether, if you feel you have better ideas than those that already exist here? ;) This place, like I said, is not as bad as it has been, or as bad as a thousand and one other forums on the net. Instead of complaining, how bout helping out by filling this place with "more wisdom-filled, sensible and important" subjects? :)

Ahh.. yes. The Senate Chambers!

Come one come all. And bring your spam, as the Senate Singularity is hungry (we don't feed it enough).

@CaptainRave: it seems to me, that your chief complaint is that posts in the Swamp are frivalous (like the game threads and short answers or smilies for answers... that kind of thing).

But you have to consider that this is the culture that the Swampies have settled on. This is what they like. I remember a young lad in the Swamp about a year and a half ago that started a thread very similar to this one.... his complaint was that the game threads and trivial posts were annoying. So The-Powers-That-Be made him a mod of a new forum called the Senate Chambers. And CJais was then a very happy lad, indeed!

The Senate Chamber is all but devoid of trivial discussions and "spam." :) And, there are many "Swampies" that come in and participate in "serious discussion and debate" from time to time... I visit the Swamp most nights... just to see what's happening. I roll my eyes at many threads, but every once in a while... there is a real gem of a thread that I'll subscribe to....

Originally posted by Darklighter

And contrary to what you claim, this isn't the worse the forum has been...couple weeks ago, I was just looking back at when I joined the forum in May 2002 (just after JK2 came out)...and I was thankful that little period was over ;P It was all spam, spam and more spam, left right and centre. Believe me, this is not as bad as it gets.

Ahh, but Rave was here with me when JK2 was released, it was unbearable but compared to that, this is nothing.. but he was here... so this isn't as bad and he knows... so maybe i'm confused :confused:

True.

You could alternatively go to the Senate Chambers for more serious and down to earth (if that's the correct expression) discussion topics.

Boo to that, That took all the tiny tads of serious discussion away from the swamp... and then threads get moved even though "anything" (within the rules :p) is allowed in the swamp.

But you have to consider that this is the culture that the Swampies have settled on. This is what they like.

I disagree, half of the people with the spam are quite short term, 3 months and they're offski, this makes the place change constantly. :p

Also, swamp = off topic, not no topic, spammers :)

Yes we do exist. Yes, we do things. Putting up with crappily put together complaints is not one of those things. If you have a genuine problem, present it in a proper manner. Go to the feedback forum, post a thread, a proper one, and state what your problem is. Do not use insults against moderators/admins.

This will get you nothing but a padlock.

Originally posted by DarkLord60

I agree spaminiing is getting out of hand can you just delete their post instead that you their post count goes down cause thats all there trying to do is get high post count. I am a Forum administrator over at AOTCTC and I am very strict I usally delete their post if its spam and I warned them and it works they stop spamming after awhile so I suggest this method, it works.

Actually, trying to delete a post instead of just locking is more of a hassle than you would think, due to the fact of our specific MySQL database linking in with our Forums. Deleting a post from Lucasforums actually uses up MORE bandwidth, causing periodical downtimes, than just locking a thread. But I must say that spam is actually DOWN compared to say this time last year. But we are working more than you think the problem is that there are more forums and threads that most people never notice EXCEPT the spammers. So while we are busy taking care of those threads, other spammers are spamming the regularly visited threads. And you would say why should we care about threads and Forums that no one visits? Because of the fact that we have a certain level of professionalism that we must maintain, and degree of rating to keep these Forums to a level where it is an ALMOST family-friendly atmosphere to it. So yes we do exist. And like the Oracle said in Reloaded. Programs that are usually doing their jobs cant be seen. So we are definitely doing our job, but its a big task on a huge LucasFan network.

Archived