Home

Glitch - Official Name???

{MOTL}thesaiyan

I was wondering if there was an official name for the Glitch in Jedi Academy where when you are fighting someone the Lightsaber appears to go right through them but does no damage. I heard someone call it "Ghosting".

I was also wondering when this glitch is more likely to occur and how one might be able to set a server in the best possible way to avoid that glitch.

Its defenitely time we picked a name for it, if it does not have one.

Originally posted by {MOTL}thesaiyan

Yes, "Ghost-Sabering" or "Ghost-Blading" might be a better name. Someone seemed to think it happened more often on server whose transfer rate was lower.

If that's the case, could it simply be a matter of the position of the opposing player not being updated quickly enough on the client's PC, i.e., they have already moved slightly out of range of the blade?

Although if that were true, a while ago someone apparently experimented, and kept slicing at someone standing directly in front of them (the other person deliberately did not move) but the 'ghost-blading' effect still occured a few times.

Perhaps there is simply a minor glitch in the locational damage somewhere...

Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest

Sometime its not the game's or the lightsaber's fault, its just the lag. I always get the same thing on high pinged servers, but on low pings (100 and below) its the same as single player.

I would think that lag is the biggest reason for this sort of thing.

Collision detection is taken on a per frame basis. With lag those frames may be farther apart in time and so it is possible that the blade's position is calculated to be on one side of a model and then on the other side during the next frame. There is no extrapolation for the blade's path, so the game doesn't know that it passed through the model...

Originally posted by Prime

I would think that lag is the biggest reason for this sort of thing.

Collision detection is taken on a per frame basis. With lag those frames may be farther apart in time and so it is possible that the blade's position is calculated to be on one side of a model and then on the other side during the next frame. There is no extrapolation for the blade's path, so the game doesn't know that it passed through the model...

Would the framerate on the client machine affect it?

Ghosting, from what I understand is just when (due to whatever, framerate, rate, lag, whatever) a players appears to be (on your screen) where he really isn't (on the server).

So it can be caused by a lot of things really, and may be totally random (if pings, cpu usage, etc fluctuate).

Packet loss is apparently a major culprit of this, so try a better server if you can.

Really? On a Lan? But were you on a dedicated server? I'm looking at various Cvars to see wether there are any that could potentially......... lessen the likely hood of "ghost-blading". If I discover anything I will post it here. If you find out anything relating to this ("ghost-blading" and any way to help avoid it etc.) then please post it here.

Originally posted by {MOTL}thesaiyan

Really? On a Lan? But were you on a dedicated server? I'm looking at various Cvars to see wether there are any that could potentially......... lessen the likely hood of "ghost-blading". If I discover anything I will post it here. If you find out anything relating to this ("ghost-blading" and any way to help avoid it etc.) then please post it here.

yes on a dedicated server, even though it doesn't matter on a LAN where you both have 0 ping and 0 packetloss.

I doubt that Raven will be releasing any thing for Jedi Academy since they are busy with Quake 4, X-Men: Legends, and others. Unless something big, and I mean BIG, should come up, then I can safely say that Raven has released all possible patches for Jedi Academy.

Ok, there's three things in play that cause saber passthru:

1. the game world is only updated @ 20 frames per second. It's like blinking 20 times per second. If you don't see the blade hit during one of those blinks, a hit doesn't register. That's why the faster stances have poor hit detection at the very tip of the blade.

To help with this problem, I've created a Super Duper Interpolation system that scans the area between where the blade was and where the blade is during the hit detection.

In addition, you can also increase the server's frame rate (sv_fps) and the network rates to help.

2. lag causes the player models to be slightly out of place vs. where they are actually at in the real game world.

3. third person view makes it difficult to judge distances.

I've created True View to help with that.

Archived