Home

What species is yoda?

Global Strike

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we wait for GL to approve Yoda's species, I am sure we will never know (but if he does, discussion over). For that reason, conjecture based on evidence, is the best we have, so as long as we have a working theory, with some evidence, that is the best we have to go off of. So I will try to establish that. You commented that the Anakin Solo thing could be discarded at will by GL, because it is EU. Granted, but so long as he does not discard it, it is worthy of going off of (as many other opinions have been based on un-challenged EU claims). Also, the primary difference between the Light and Dark sides, is that the Dark side is self-destructive, whereas the Light side is self-sacraficing. This would imply that both sides do the same to their body, but the light side does it to serve others, and the dark side does it to serve themselves. And as NJO seems to uncover,

there is only one force,

so it would be unusual to say that only one side affects the body that way. The difference with Palpatine (and possibly Vader) is that he weilded too much power. The Jedi were able to control their use of the Force, so they could extend their lives, and thus their ability to help people. As far as Yoda, I have two theories. The first, is that he is more heavily weighed down because of the length of time he was exposed to the Force. The other will be better discussed later on. I want to make a correction. It is implied that Anakin dies from his cells burning and bursting, but he does not. As far as how you survive... When matter is excited with energy (the force is an energy field, created by all living things, it surrounds us, penetrates us, and binds the galaxy together), it moves around a lot more. In this case, the huge amount of force coursing through Anakins body, caused his cells to rapidly split, so the appropriate number of cells could be maintained. In Yoda's case, rapidly going through cells for hundreds of years, allowed for the possibility of huge changes to occur. (after all, each split allows this possibility, just look at how quickly single-celled organisms are able to change) It was unknown at the time the circumstances of the volcano thing, so it was unknown that he was already a darksider. Regardless, he was recently a Jedi, and know doubt knew how to use the force the way a Jedi would, and if that is an unsatisfying response, just rehighlight the spoiler tag. The Obi-Wan thing, is pretty trivial, because both explainations make sense, depending on which theory is right. That was only included as a means of showing how it all fits together (it was not really proof of anything). The same goes for "How you get so big, eating food of this kind?" GL seems a lot more picky about how everything is to just make a mistake about what Yoda looks like. A growl as a battlecry does not fit in well with what we know about Yoda, unless he was falling back on his Wookiee instincts. He is the only Jedi Master that I have seen try to be intimidating, when he loses his size and strength (well, at least size), he needs a new way to intimidate.

Oh, yes, Humans never mock people, and wookiees always do. Totally a valid point...
Better give you that one, its not worth arguing.
Perhaps he developed this fighting style in another way. perhaps he figured out that epopel don't expect 'short stuff' to attack from above.
Or perhaps he was falling back on the acrobatics he learned in the trees of Kashyyyk. A planet with a strong connection to the dark side, and lots of creatures, still leaves a lot of choices. But then again so does dark, secluded, and lots of trees; so I guess there is not a lot to discuss about that, although I question the creature/dark side concept by virtue of the fact that Obi-Wan was never caught on Tatooine, but the planet selection is not extremely important as far as Im concerned, so I am willing to concede that those could have been additional factors. As far as Yaddle, I suspect that Yoda and Yaddle found themselves in a situation where they were fighting disasterous odds, and in order to help people, they had to form a Force-meld, and call upon tremendous amounts of Force energy in order to complete their task. (This is the above mentioned second theory.) This could have either instantly mutilated them drastically, or at least set them into a path that resulted in their cell rate being drastically increased, and mulitations occuring throughout their lives. I suspect a combination, because that would result in them looking alike, and Yoda drastically changing still during the last few decades of his life. The life of a Wookiee was unknown to the author at the time, so just delete that in your mind. How a Wookiee could live that long, the parts of his body that controls metabolic rates, etc., could have undergone a positive mutation that would result in an increased life span.

btw, Vagabond, I'm about 95% serious, and it is fun to argue in either case.

Alright, i see you can bakc up your point pretty well. Guess it will all come down to opinion.

In my opinion, he's not a wookiee. In yours it is. WE've both found about equal amounts of proof to back up our theories, and as long as we don't get a confirmation, we may never know...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Years ago on Lucasforums I remembered we had a conversation about Yoda's species (I think it was around the time of TPM) and somebody said (as if they knew what they were talking about) that Yoda and Yaddle were Yiddles (yes, Yiddles). To which someone replied GEORGE LUCAS HAS NO IMAGINATION LEFT!! and I laughed so hard I almost cried.

Even if that was total BS, it's a fond memory I have...

; )

From Star Wars fan relations Steve Sansweet:

What species are Yoda and Darth Maul?

The Star Wars galaxy is a huge one, so large that not even an encyclopedia or a Jedi Holocron could contain all knowledge. Among the current mysteries are the species of Jedi Master Yoda, the female Jedi Council member Yaddle, and the Sith Lord Darth Maul. Perhaps in time those mysteries will be resolved. Perhaps not.

Obviously this was a little while ago...

When I was a kid I remember thinking Yoda was actually a human who just looked funny because he was 900 years old.

Maul's species has been cleared up. He's a "Zabrack" (sp?) just like Eeth Koth.

As far as Yoda being a Wookiee, it IS possible. Let me explain:

In the early script drafts of Star Wars, Lucas switched the names of characters, species, etc all around. For example, Han Solo was originally an alien similar to Greedo. Tarkin was a good guy. Instead of Luke and Obi-Wan you had this old guy called "The Starkiller" who had a bunch of sons, with names including Luke and Biggs, Deak, etc (IIRC). Star Destroyers were originally two man fighters. Alderaan was a major imperial stronghold. The "Dianogahs" were a major threat to the galaxy. Lightsabers were a standard issue weapon for all soldiers. All kinds of stuff that seems weird and wild to us now that the story is all worked out and well-defined.

But back then, anything could go! So theoretically there could be a script out there describing Yoda as a "Wookiee" or something. All one need do is pop on over to one of the sites with said script, quote the relevant portion and post a link (sites like the "Jedi Bendu Script Archive", JediNet or starwarz.com). That would end the argument.

And the Whills are never connected with Yoda that I know of, even in the early scripts, as mentioned they are just supposed to be these "observers" who recorded the Star Wars story, not necessarily in the story themselves or an alien race, etc.

; )

See? It's fun and not a waste of time at all!

Well, from what I've heard, the Wookies (intentionally spelled that way) used to live on Yavin, hanging from the trees. They already had a lot of hair back then. So unless it was even furhter back, it doesn't really count.

I don't think early drafts are a very good source anyway, since we know lightsabers aren't standard weapons, Tarkin was a bad guy, etc.

I was on the Star Wars Databank today and I read that Qui Gon's homeworld is also unknown.

I think some things are unknown because they aren't important. Nobody asked for them and nobody said them.

It could actually be like that, that nobody had time to spend his time on such things. Exspecially at this time, when they make Episode III.

Archived