Home

Only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise

Prime

One thing I love about Star Wars is stormtroopers, regardless of whether they can hit anything or not. When I first saw bneezy's screenshots of a stormtrooper model in KOTOR, I was excited. Unfortunately, it is illegal to port assets from one Star Wars game to another. Since the model from those original screenshots was from Jedi Academy, that ment that the mod could not be released.

However, Hapslash had made an superior stormtrooper model for Jedi Academy, and thankfully he has given permission for others to use it. bneezy has been kind enough to port the custom helmet into KOTOR. To avoid legal issues, I decided to make a custom skin that could be included with the helmet and released to the community.

There is still a little bit of tweeking to do, but his a shot of the helmet:

helmetshot.jpg

Originally, the idea was just to port the helmet. But I think the mod would be better if it had actual armour to go with it. To that end I have decided to skin stormtrooper armour from one of the KOTOR armour models.

Thanks again to Hapslash for the model and to bneezy for porting it. In the end, I hope we can release both player armour and a Sith Trooper replacement.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Prime

Unfortunately, it is illegal to port assets from one Star Wars game to another. Since the model from those original screenshots was from Jedi Academy, that ment that the mod could not be released.

To avoid legal issues, I decided to make a custom skin that could be included with the helmet and released to the community.

Since you raised this subject. Do you think it'd be ilegal to use characters and/or portraits from Star Wars movies?

Xavier2

Thanks guys. :)

Originally posted by Xavier2

Is there a chance we can see a Clone trooper version?

I'm not thinking about doing that right now, really. I suppose I will have to see how I feel after I am finished this mod. It also depends if a clonetrooper model's original author agreed to allow us to use it, and if bneezy would be willing to port it.

Right now, I'd say probably not.

Do you think it'd be ilegal to use characters and/or portraits from Star Wars movies?

Well, modding KOTOR is technically illegal, but it is tolerated. I think if a mod was made to recreate SW characters, that would be tolerated as well.

OK, I'm trying to decide which armour model to use as a base, and I need some opinions. First, here is an example of stormtrooper armour:

StormTrooper2.jpg

Now, here are the two base armours I'm thinking of using:

armour8001.jpgarmour9001.jpg

For the one on the left, the pros are that the wrists are better, and the overall armour is less bulky, like the stormtrooper. The con is that there are pockets that extand out from the front of the chest.

For the one on the right, the pros are that it is easier to skin because a lot of armour is in the right places already, and so the model is shaped a bit better. The cons is that the forearms aren't quite right, and it is bulkier.

What do you guys think would be best?

Originally posted by Prime

For the one on the left, the pros are that the wrists are better, and the overall armour is less bulky, like the stormtrooper. The con is that there are pockets that extand out from the front of the chest.

For the one on the right, the pros are that it is easier to skin because a lot of armour is in the right places already, and so the model is shaped a bit better. The cons is that the forearms aren't quite right, and it is bulkier.

What do you guys think would be best?

well, the one on with the pockets can be fixed so that they're flat. for info on that, check out svosh's 3d modeling tips. he actually did exactly what your talking about. i think that xavier2 did the same thing for his boba fett armor. so, that would be my opinion, although it would be more work. so, good luck!! :D :D

I choose option 3: Have you make your own, correct stormtrooper armor. But since that is not very likely...

I choose the second one (based on the special Cassus (sp?) Fett armor, if I am not mistaken (or the regular)). After looking at the picture of a stormtrooper you provided, it seems to fit better to me. The image with the pockets doesn't look restrictive to movement enough, but the other does. If you were to color the arm sleeves (the green-ish parts) and the hands to look more like the stromtrooper's (for the image on the right), then it would be even better.

Just my 25¢.

:fett:

Originally posted by stingerhs

well, the one on with the pockets can be fixed so that they're flat. for info on that, check out svosh's 3d modeling tips. he actually did exactly what your talking about. i think that xavier2 did the same thing for his boba fett armor. so, that would be my opinion, although it would be more work. so, good luck!! :D :D

Thats correct. Svosh proved its possible with a medium armor and i made the same with the soldier clothes. I was able to do it with pockets and the strap linking the chest and the backpack.

My vote is for the class9 armor. Although its bulkier, it fits better with the helmet size.

An idea mono_giganto gave to my Boba Fett helmet was to scale down the helmet, give it a disguise property, create it as a new head and replace the head of the character.

Xavier2

Since you raised this subject. Do you think it'd be ilegal to use characters and/or portraits from Star Wars movies?

Xavier2

well i would see it as no, becoz we use Lightsabres, the Force, DS and LS, even Sith Lords names, eg

Marka Ragnos - used in Jedi Academy

so i would say that, but hey what do i know? DONT ANSWER THAT :p

MattCole

PS BLOODLY AMAZING STUFF PRIME!!!! :D:cool:

Archived