Home

Holy sweet Jesus even Mono is trying to model now!

Mono_Giganto

Originally posted by EnderWiggin

I guess its back to the retexturing drawing board....

_EW_

You and me both, assuming I ever get this into the game (AND I WILL!!!!!!) I'll need all the luck I can muster to pull off a semi-decent skin. :D

I'll have to read some tutorials and see what I'm doing wrong with the model.

And to anyone out there who has successfully added a new model into KotOR, can you run me through the steps quickly (via PM) on what you did once you finished the model?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Mono_Giganto

Edot: I'm having quite a bit of trouble exporting the blaster as a whole model. I haven't used ResetXForm, because when I do it messes up the model. :p Any way around this issue? ^^^

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=138880

That should help with your "Reset Xform" troubles. ;)

Long live the metric system! :clap2:

Have you read the quik tutorial that comes with mdlops. It has all the steps out lined accept it's not completely noob friendly :)

Once your finnished shapeing the model one thing you could do is attach the pieces together. You do this by selecting one object, click the Modify tab and click the Attach button in the edit geometry roleout then to attach all the objects together simply click each object. Before you do this though you should remove any unseen polys first.

After that you will need to segment the model for for UVW map and unwrap. svösh has added several great tutorials in his Modeling tips: tuts For Gmax and 3DSMax 4 KotOR thread but waylon's Is the best I have read.

Once your finnished shapeing the model one thing you could do is attach the pieces together. You do this by selecting one object, click the Modify tab and click the Attach button in the edit geometry roleout then to attach all the objects together simply click each object. Before you do this though you should remove any unseen polys first.

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks T7. :)

I should also mention that the attach method has fixed my ResetXForm Method it seems. :D

And Xavier, if I can pick up a few more modelling skills and improve some more, you can bet I'll help you guys!

WOOT WOOT WOOT!!!

All that's left is some resizing and a skin. (Maybe some assistance there, hint hint. :D) Didn't check the poly count, but I have an average speed PC and it runs fine on mine, I played around with it a bit.

Über-Important Update!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v168/Mono_Giganto/pistolfinal.jpg

I think I'm just about done with the pistol! All that's left is a skin. Tell me what you guys think about the positioning.

And as to the skin, if anyone would like to make the attempt, let me know, I'll send you the mdl, mdx, even the gmax scene if you need it. I'm really pretty terrible. :rolleyes:

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks T7. :)

I should also mention that the attach method has fixed my ResetXForm Method it seems. :D

And Xavier, if I can pick up a few more modelling skills and improve some more, you can bet I'll help you guys!

That's great news. Don't worry about your skills. The point of the colaborating project is learn in the process, and modeling is not all you can help with, you know...;).

Anytime you feel right you are most welcomed. PM me whenever you like.:)

I'd would honestly have to find someone willing to do my UV mapping/skinning at the moment, or else I would be giving you a bunch of white models. :p

I've never worked with guns before, but send those to me i'll see if either me or other member of the team can help you out.

Xavier2 :)

Excellent first model mono, great to see new modelers. As Ranger Six said “the usual mistakes that younglings make are made here too”. This could all be made in 1, 2, or 3 pieces if you started the blaster with lets say an 8 sided N gon and extruded it converted it to editable mesh you could build it all as one piece using standard box modeling techniques. [ poly extruding , scaling rotating , beveling , and vert tweaking if you opted for 2 or 3 part model then you make the core parts all of one piece of editable mesh extruded and scaled

Then using Boolean compound on them make them all one piece.

For uv mapping I was just about to offer. .. as T7 pointed you to waylon's and in my opinion is by far the best online uv unwrapping tut you will find.

If you need a hand I would be happy to assist ;)

keep it up mono I recommend you look in to box modeling tutorials

http://www.3dvalley.com/tutorials/lcdmon/lcdmon.shtml this is basically the technique to use

svösh

Originally posted by svösh

For uv mapping I was just about to offer. .. as T7 pointed you to waylon's and in my opinion is by far the best online uv unwrapping tut you will find.

I'll pack up the gmax scene and send it to your tomorrow, I've hd about five minutes to myself today, so I really can't get to it. :(

Originally posted by svösh

I'll pack up the gmax scene and send it to your tomorrow, I've hd about five minutes to myself today, so I really can't get to it. :(

Hasnt been any updates.... just wondering what was up and whether Mono / Svosh Made any progress....

_EW_

Edit: Hahahahah! Look what I found in Svosh's WIP thread Mono! You're a liar! :D

Did you make all those hilts from scratch?!?! I could never model, no matter how much I tried. :)

Hmm... photobucket's having some issues, so when it's back up I'll post pictures of another model, dunno how excited everyone will be seeing as it's one of the only models we cant get ingame yet... *hinthint* :D

I'll also state that I've sent svosh the pistol model for UV mapping. Yay go svosh!

Here we go:

The reference.

My model.

Another screenie, with the correct coloring (Movie hilt was silver) And a rainbow-ish one. :D

It's Obi-Wans EP 4 hilt if you can't tell, still need to fix the porportion, it's too fat, but I have plenty of time to do that I think. ;)

Hey Mono if you ever get this finished and in game would you mind making a version of this for me with a dark blue/navy(midnight blueish) instead of gold variant like you have in your pictures above. I would really like a custom variant for my upcoming npc recruit release.

Archived