Home

Let there be rock!

Brighteyes

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I listen to "classic rock" (or, as we referred to it when I was a kid: "rock") as well as many other forms of music as well.

These days I've deen deconstructing the Progressive-Rock sub-genre: Tull, Yes, Rush, King Crimson, etc...

Loads of bombastic, pretentious, noodle-ishious fun!

There is one or two great classic bands I listen to on a regular basis. Led Zeppelin is cool, but the one I consistently listen is Alice Cooper. Alice Cooper is underappreciated because he is only known for his hits (Eighteen, School's Out, No More Mr. Nice Guy, etc) which aren't bad songs, but if you listen to the albums and listen to lesser known songs of his you'll realize how truly brilliant the guy really is. And his shows are also amazing. He doesn't seem like an aging rock star when you see him perform.

I'm also kind of getting into Jethro Tull, but I haven't heard nearly enough stuff to call myself a fan.

What stuff do ya play fender?

Jethro Tull? Yeah been meaning to get some of that. Jethro Tull is also a british comedian in blighty ;)

Cooper?! Poison was his best. Got the words on my wall, my hair stands on end when it says:

I hear you calling and its needles and pins, i wanna hurt you just to hear you screaming my name, don't wanna touch you but your under my skin. I wanna taste you but your lips are venomous poison!

Best line in and song....ever.

Black Sabbath and Metallica are my two favourite rock/metal bands, the majority of their output, at least in their heyday, was awesome. The "Master of Puppets" and "...And Justice For All" albums are so listenable it's a crime, and the first 8 or so Black Sabbath albums are a lesson in music.

I like Alice Cooper too, "Teenage Lament '74" is a fantastic song, as is Poison which you've all mentioned. I used to like Bowie, and I still do like a lot of his earlier (late 60's early 70's) stuff, but he's got such a variety of styles it's hard to like everything he's done. As for Zeppelin, I don't have too much of their stuff - "Physical Graffiti" and "Remasters" are the only CD's I've got, but they're loaded with genuinely awesome songs.

I thought I was just about the only person who still listened to prog as well, so this is a nice surprise. King Crimson are one of my all time favourite bands, "In The Court of the Crimson King", "In The Wake Of Posiedon" and "Larks Tongues In Aspic" don't go wrong once, every track across those three albums is inspired. I love Jethro Tull too, it's such a unique style, and the lyrics are out of this world. The 23 minute long "Thick as a Brick" and slightly shorter "With You There" would put a lot of people off with their lenth, but they're so fantastic.

Another prog band I like is a Manchester band called Van Der Graaf generator, I have loads of their stuff. Listening to "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers" is more something you experience than hear, it's stunning. And if you can get your hands on any psychedelics, it's the most confusing thing you'll ever hear.

Recently I've been listening to the psychedelic rock / acid-rock variety, which evolved in the mid-sixties in San Francisco with the influence of LSD and other such substances in music. This genre evolved into Heavy Metal when the sixties was over, so it's kind of like a less heavy Metallica, with much more introspective lyrics. Jefferson Airplane are a great band from this style, and so are Iron Butterfly (their "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" featuring in the simpsons when Bart sells his soul to Milhous.)

This sixties stuff is so awesome that I can't recommend it enough if you like rock and metal, and prog too. I got the majority of my stuff from a box set called "Nuggets: Original Artyfacts from the first Psychedelic Era" which you can buy on Amazon here. It's not cheap, but it would make a great birthday present or something because the majority of the stuff on here can't be found anywhere else because the bands weren't major successes, or became other bands later on or something. PM me if you want me to upload some samples :)

I'm not a big genre freak. I usually just pick the best of each and stick with them. I've got my prog metal (Opeth), my doom (Neurosis), my avant-garde (The Residents), my Black Metal (Dimmu), my Techno (Orbital) and classic rock (Alice Cooper), and that's basically the only music I need. That's why my brain explodes when ever someone asks me "what type of music I like". I just say good music.

Man, I didn't know Poison was such a highly loved song. It's good, but you guys have really got to listen to "Second Coming".

Originally posted by Fealiks

dude, I said round about. fooken hell. :p

When ever you write a stupid post, others will call you on it my freind. I suggest using a little discretion from now on before clicking the reply.gif .

Back on subject:

Even though David Bowie is my favorite artist of all time, Alice Cooper is another of my favorites. My favorite song would have to be "Ballad of Dwight Fry".

I always considered Guns N' Roses to be classec rock, as they were one of the final bands to come out of the 80s with a bunch of hits before Nirvana came along and launched grunge into the spotlight. To me that was when classic rock was ended. Not that alot of those artisits haven't put out good stuff since then, it's just gone (for the most part) unnoticed and underappriciated. Take Styx's Cyclorama which came out last year. Alot of truly brilliant stuff on there, but other than the single getting play for a couple weeks on a some stations, it was pretty much ignored.

The problem here is that new music stations won't play new songs by OLD bands, and classic rock stations don't like plaing NEW songs by old bands.

Hell yeah classic rock! AC/DC all the ****in way. Not a fan of Sabbath, but Hendrix is my GOD.

Down with Van Halen, though-- sure, they were talented, but MAN were they boring. Besides, seems like you're talking about Hard Rock. Led Zeppelin stuff (whom I love). And though I consider all those great bands classic rock, you can't tell me that The Beatles weren't rock, and that Cream wasn't rock, and that Janis Joplin and Moby Grape and The Kinks and Steppenwolf and The Rolling Stones weren't rock. They tore it up!

Anyway, I'm diggin the whole Garage Rock Revival movement going on right now. I'm on a Mooney Suzuki and The Donnas kick. Jet's pretty badass too.

- GET THE LED OUT!

Originally posted by Philocleon

Oh yeah. Classic rock fan hear. Ah, back then they actually produced GOOD bands. Me, I like stuff like Jethro Tull, Santana, Led Zepellin, Pink Floyd, Frank Zappa, Captain Beefheart. Good stuff, i'm telling ya, good stuff.

Jethro Tull is some seriously good stuff.

"Bungle In The Jungle" anyone?

Archived