Home

The One Year Thread Redux

3/16/05

My knee is still bothering me, although not as bad. I have some mobility without agony.

Spent most of the afternoon at work trying to save the computer of my boss' niece. Loaded with spyware and viruses. I finally got it clean enough to install Service Pack 2. Hopefully that will help.

I also loaded it up with AVG, Zone Alarm, Ad-Aware, Spybot, MS Anti-Spyware, and I made Firefox the default browser.

I hope that gets it.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well i guess this job hasn't been a complete failure......as the guy that's my supervisor is gonna talk to his retention nco, who is a former drill sgt about getting me into his unit....

I get my paycheck today...gonna pick it up in a bit....

Spent about an hour making a playlist on winamp of songs i like....

just random kinda

1. (Hed) PE - Boom (How You Like That) (3:57)

2. (HED) P.E. - Represent (4:20)

3. (HED) P.E. - Wake Up (4:35)

4. (HED) P.E. - War (3:49)

5. (HED) P.E. - Raise Hell (5:09)

6. Breaking Benjamin -So Cold.wma (4:33)

7. Chevelle -Breach Birth.wma (4:03)

8. Godsmack -Asleep.wma (3:58)

9. Godsmack -Changes.wma (4:19)

10. Godsmack -I ****ing Hate You.wma (4:07)

11. Godsmack -I Stand Alone.wma (4:08)

12. Godsmack -Serenity.wma (4:34)

13. hed p.e. - Bartender (4:32)

14. hed PE - Feel Good (3:28)

15. Hed P.E. - Swan Dive (3:37)

16. Kanye West -Jesus Walks.wma (3:13)

17. Slipknot -Duality.wma (4:12)

18. Slipknot -Vermilion Pt. 2.wma (3:44)

19. Jesse Harlin - Vode An (Brothers All) (1:58)

don't know if i got the breaking benjamin song title correct...stupid windows media player rips stuff as unknown artist......pisses me off cause i gotta go in and change it manually..

I think I will transfer and see if it's worth it after a week.

Depressing? P'haps... but only because life itself can often be depressing.

3/17/05

My commute in was smoother than expected. I tried to travel at an hour when the St. Patrick's day drunken yahoos would already be where they were going. I left work under a similar plan.

Last year driving home from work after a show on St. Pat's I saw a whole buncha weavers,.. and one person who drove his new, shiny SUV almost off the road; scraping along a guard-rail for almost a block. (The sparks off the side of his vehicle were awful pretty, though.)

So it's a day I'm always a bit wary being out and about in Boston... but I seemed to luck out this year.

I refused to wear any green, as I always do. Nobody made anything about it this year though. I'm not big on traditions like that... just the opposite: you tell me "this is what everybody does on this day", and I will always refuse to do it. I used to catch serious grief over it in high school but I always stuck to my guns.

Put in a short day at work.

My boss still thinks his niece's PC is too slow. It's a Pentium 3 450MHz with only 128 Mb of RAM running XP Pro SP2... I don't know how quick he expects it to be. I think he'd like me to reformat and reinstall everything, but I really don't want to do that. It's running, it's clean of viruses and spyware, and it works fine for web surfing. If somebody wated to pay me to redo this PC all over again then maybe I'd change my mind... but for free I really don't want to get that involved with it. It's just not worth my time anymore to try and fix everybody's computer problems... especially on a PC that old. My boss' brother earns more than the 3 of us that work in my office put together... if he doesn't like the performance of this computer he can surely afford to buy a new one. A $400 bottom-of-the-line Dell will out-perform this one.

3/18/05

Slept in late. REAL late. Almost noon. I guess I needed the rest, but it totally screws up any plans I may have had for the day. By the time I really wake up and get moving, most of the day is totally shot.

Oh well. I do feel better then I have all week, with the sole exception of my knee, which is still hurtin' pretty bad. And since I'm working the rest of the weekend I don't feel to guity about taking it easy today.

I did get to the store briefly. I picked up a couple of new DVDs on sale:

The Incredibles (anything Pixar does is fine by me)

Shark Tales (My mom wanted to see this one for some reason, and since she can't operate a DVD player without me, I guess it's mine now...)

Bill Cosby: Himself (I remember this from when I was a little kid... funny stuff. This one was really too cheap to pass up: under $10)

A DVD of a blues concert that looked really interesting that I can't think of the name of right now and that I'll have to look up in the morning.

After I got home I made myself some popcorn and settled in to watch:

Star Wars - Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Why? Why that one with all the new movies I now have? Why right now?

I dunno.

I've been thinking about it for a couple of days now. Most likely inspired by the Ep. III trailer.

It's amazing how dated a couple of the digital effects looked to me now. I wonder if GL will ever get inspired to go back and fix them as the technology advances. My bet is yes.

The parts of the movie I've always liked I still like. The parts of the movie that I've always disliked I've kinda softened on. Still some goofy dialog and some really bad acting... but the movie has grown on me over the years, and I tend to dismiss it's faults more than I ever could in the past.

Jar Jar still sucks though.

;)

Uh... yet another update (where is everybody?)

3/19/05

Early day at work. Had to be in at 9:00 am... for apparently no reason. The band was running late, and didn't arrive until after Noon. I don't know what time the were scheduled to arrive, but I always love getting up early on a Saturday morning so that I can rush into work to stand around doing nothing for 3 hours. :rolleyes:

The band was cool though, once they got here. It's an all-Irish group who play here every year around this time. It's a pretty easy day, and the girl dancers they bring with them are always super cute. They always tip us too. Now we have enough to order a really good dinner on tonight's shift.

Watched The Incredibles last night when I got home. It was pretty, uh... er... incredible. Digital animation sure has come a long way. Watched a bunch of behind-the-scenes stuff about the movie too... but it seemed like that stuff wasn't as quite as good or as comprehensive as it has been on past Pixar DVD releases. Still, all-in-all, pretty darn cool.

The Clone Wars cartoon DVD is coming out soon, and I've been debating getting it. I don't think I've seen any of them, but I've heard good things. Any opinions?

My knee was killing me all day yesterday, but seemed better before I went to bed, and feels better now. Hopefully it stays this way.

Somebody post soon, or this post is going to get way too long!

(In the intrest of readability, I'm starting another post. Yes I know it's double-posting, but under the circumstances, if you don't like it,.. well, just try to deal with it, huh?)

3/20/05

Piece of cake day at work. Again, we were there earlier than we really needed to be... a bit more sitting around doing nothing than I like on a weekend day. The show was easy though.

My leg felt pretty good right up until the end of the day... then it really started to hurt like hell. Feels OK right now.

I've got a dentist appointment this morning. That was stupid planning, since I had to work late last night, and again tonight... but I never know my schedule 6 months in advance, (in fact I rarely know a whole week in adavance) so I always have to guess when they ask me what's a good time.

Oh well... I have to go to the mall to pick up a few things, and since my dentist's office is right there I guess I'll use the morning to take care of that before I head off to work. Try to kill 2 birds with one stone...

edlib

I liked the Clone Wars cartoon, so it's worth getting the DVD, IMO. Just to remind you, though, Season 3 starts tonight @ 7 PM ET on the Cartoon Network, and each night's episode will be available on starwars.com the following day if you miss it.

Well, that explains it: I'm rarely at home at night, and when I am I usually don't watch much TV.

OK, thanks! I'll pick it up. I think it comes out this week.

It might just become my favorite part of the Star Wars universe, who knows? I still think "The AniMatrix" disc is the best part of the whole Matrix saga.

woke up, took a shower, got dressed then i proceeded to go for a mile run...11 minutes in a mile, only stopped to catch my breath once...too slow, need to step it up. gonna try running 2 miles tomorrow, then do 1 mile the day after that and see if i improve that way, leaving a rest period on the weekends.

went to king of prussia mall on saturday w/my sister.....it was fun, though we didn't buy anything except lunch at chik-fil-a which is a damn good restraunt and they should start putting some around where i live!!

went out to eat breakfast on sunday....pancakes and a cherry turnover...too much syrup. then got home and played galaxies most of the day, bought 2 tie fighter chassis...fun!!!

Hopefully this work week is fun..not sure if i'll be working saturday or not. i don't want to so i probably will refuse.

Eh, that's still a lot better than I could do right now... even without the mangled knee.

I used to be able to walk about 4 miles in an hour... so that's a mile in 15 min. I haven't done that in a while, though. At best: probably closer to 2.5, maybe 3 an hour these days.

3/21/05

My dental cleaning/ checkup went well. I like my hygenist, she's very cute (and occasionally a little flirty.)

Went to the mall afterwards. The sneakers I always buy are on sale... but I could only find one pair in the color I like. So I also went to Sears and bought a soldering iron kit. I had a gift card that I've been carrying around with me since Christmas that covered most of it.

Work was easy for the most part... although I started to fade big-time before the end of the show since it had been such a long day.

Got to sleep in this morning. Another late night tonight too.

did sprints today....30 mins of running really fast, resting, rinsing and repeating all 2.5 miles. took me about 30 minutes. I remember i used to be able to do 2 minutes on that in 17-20 minutes. I NEED to get to 16 mins at least, well i need 16:36 to make it through basic, but for ait.15:54....so at least wanna get 16:00 so i'm over the hump. gonna make it a regular routine. just better not friggen rain throughout april or i'll be mad.

My dental cleaning/ checkup went well. I like my hygenist, she's very cute (and occasionally a little flirty.)

This is impossible.

Dental hygenists are made to be tooth scraping witches from hell.

Also note, I can run a mile without stopping probably in about 15ish minutes, wearing US Army issue combats, while carrying a weapon and extra gear.

the place where i'm working is getting moved so work ends there officially on thursday.....no word on when i'll be transferred....and there's a burger king right next to where i used to work (pizza hut) that says 'now hiring closers' hopefully i don't have to resort to that.

Seems like Nute is trying to send us a message... only I cannot fathom what it might possibly be. Hmmm...

3/22/05

Got my Fed Tax refund back. Whoo-Hoo! Par-tay time!

Actually, I'm just gonna deposit the whole thing. Need it to pay off a couple of bills I've racked up lately.

Kind of an easy night at work... but a bit of a long one. A bunch of different jazz bands that appear on one of the school's student-run record labels. All long pieces with looooong solos. Technically, they only had a 90-minute slot, but we all knew they were going to go over. I was willing to look the other way if it was only 10 minutes or so, but it ended up going to the 2-hour mark. One of the bands played a lot longer then they were supposed to, and then screwed everybody else down the line. Idiots.

I'm thinking of taking the day off and breaking down and getting my knee looked at. It's not getting any better. I start out every day feeling pretty good, but then after working all day and being on it the whole time I'm almost a cripple by the time I get home.

Plus, there are a bunch of other errands I really need to run that I just haven't had time to do. Since I'm not working tonight, but I have to be in tomorrow, as well as this weekend, I think this is my best bet.

Feldwebel Urva, a "guest-soldier" from err.. Czechia i think, does 20 Km in 93 minutes! With err.. 10 Kilos "Sturmgepäck" on the back.. I needed 185. Man. That guy just started running and kept on 'til the end.

And edlib.. I think it says "Ooh, look at me! I have a stick and a hat and can control the controls with my pulsator!"

Or something..

3/24/05

A bit of a waste of a day... although that's probably exactly what I really needed.

I stayed in bed all day reading, or on the couch watching TV. Basically staying off my leg all day to try to give it a chance to heal. When I was down I was slathering my knee with muscle rub, and when I did move around I wore a knee brace.

It does feel a lot better... but then it usually does first thing in the morning. Today will be the test: if it starts hurting again by the end of the day I'll go somewhere tomorrow.

I got a lot of extra sleep yesterday too. I guess I needed it, since this thing hasn't really been allowing me to get a decent night's sleep.

Watched the commentarys on the Incredibles DVD. Some of it was pretty interesting.

Re-installed Starfighter on my PC... although I don't know why. It was just an OK game at best. Nice graphics, though...

got a decent paycheck today....was expecting alot less...so i'm happy that i can pay off all my bills and have an ok amount left over...which *should* hold me until i get transferred....and i've got 4 days of pay coming in my next paycheck so if i don't spend any money 'til then...i can either get contacts or a membership to the rec center.

Archived