Sabretooth

To buy? Or not to buy?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. To buy? Or not to buy?

• Buy HL, skip CoD
    • Buy HL, skip CoD, wait for CoD2
    • Buy CoD, skip HL
    • Skip both games and wait for KOTORII, DSII instead

Like the WCIII-KOTOR fight before, here's another one. I'm planning on a game for after my exams (29th-5th). Now I really like Half-Life, but I never bought it (a shame) and I'm thinking of buying it now. On the other hand, I'm impressed with Call of Duty as well. And then there are two games I'm rooting for - KOTORII (PC) and Dungeon Siege II. So I'm thinking of buying Half-Life, skipping CoD, and instead wait for CoD2.

So what is your say?

I'm with CapNColostomy on this - HL2 is a great game, but quite over-rated. Here are my thoughts:

- CoD you should be able to get for pretty cheap - EBGames has it for $30, chances are you can get it 'new & sealed' on eBay even cheaper. It is a very good game, I tend to call it MoHAA++, as it takes everything from MoHAA and makes it better. The SP is ~8 hours, MP is very good, and has tons of players (#2 game on GameSoy behind HL).

- CoD2? When is *that* due? Haven't heard, so probably not even this year. But based on playing CoD: United Offensive (the expansion), I'd be wary - the weapons felt more like RtCW (i.e. loose) than MoHAA and the original CoD (i.e. tight), and the scripting had many issues.

- HL2, despite being over-rated IMO, is also the game with the best production values *ever* - the visuals, while not as advanced as Doom3, are stunning, especially the near perfect facials. The environs are done very well. The AI is decent, and the physics are awesome. What is mediocre is every weapon *but* the gravity gun (hint - my 2nd choice weapon was the pistol), the vehicle sections we too long, the turrets were horrid, you had no choices, the game was ultra-linear, and I think that Freeman is the most absolutely devoid-of-personality character I've played in a 3D game.

- KotOR 2 is due in a month ... excellent reviews, and flaws that the PC should be able to handle (mostly XBox framerate stuff).

- Dungeon Siege 2 - I didn't like the first one all that much, so never played the expansion. It basically played itself, and you just healed the characters and managed a few things. This one aims to be better, but we'll see ... but isn't that due in the Fall ?

Mike

I suck at games, and I get frusterated with them and lose intrest very easily, I never got through KOTOR or CoD all the way. I didn't know much about HL, never played it, and I ever looked into HL2 that much. When I asked for HL2 for my b-day I wasn't expecting awesomeness, I was expecting another game that i'd play for a couple of days and then let it rot on my shelf. But something happend that hadn't happened to me in a long time. I couldn't get enough of HL2 from the moment I booted it up. I have no real complaints, as the first time I played it through I met no bugs, no AI defects, no graphics gliches. In fact, as I've never played doom 3, it's the best graphics i'd ever seen. I was not dissapointed at the story, or how it played out, all of the gameplay was as fun as anything up to the very end. In response to Mike: I liked the fact that gordon freeman was you, not another character, he thought what you thought, did what you would do. I liked how the game was so linear, to me it was better than getting utterly lost and not getting enough power-ups or whatever to finish the game, like has happend to me so many times before. And because it was so linear it played out just like a movie, and being so linear even tied in at the end. All of the nit-picks i've heard I never even noticed or cared during gameplay. And since I beat it i've been using mods and cheats and seeing all what this great engine can do.

You may call me a fanboy, but what i've just said is the absolute truth.

So I say, get HL2 if you haven't already got it. My brother played HL1 recently and said it was crap so if that was what you were talking about then dont get that. KOTOR is great but not for one like me who sucks at games. CoD was also good but I lost interest in the middle of the game.

theres my 2 cents, or with my ramble at HL2, it's more like 5 cents :p

Originally posted by jon_hill987

I say skip half-life because of steam, It's evil.

@IG

Half-life 1 crap!?!? dated maybe but never crap!

Steam is an annoyance that lasts for about a couple hours before gameplay but by the time i started playing it I had forgotten about it by then.

We played HL1 pushing the fact that it was dated aside, as we've played many great games that had come out in that time. But it was crappy nonetheless, it just plain wasn't very fun. Everything in it kinda sucked in it's own way. I was going to play it instead of my bro, but I lost intrerest quick.

Here are my reasons to dislike HL2:

The textures are incredibly low-res. Compromising for the slightly detailed architecture? Who knows. Can't be technical limitations though, just look at D3 and UT2, those had some damn fine textures.

The weapons. I have yet to find ONE weapon in HL2 that's actually effective enough to use. If it were for me, I'd mod in some decent M-16, gah. Only the grenades and shotgun were any good.

Ammo. Or, rather, the lack of it. Whenever I found an interesting weapon, I was forced to make only headshots, or I'd run out of bullets in no-time. Big no-no for a shooter game there, methinks.

The over-emphasis on the physics. Sure, we know it's the best part of the engine, while it's not even all that original. However, the fact that you're often FORCED to switch back to the gravity gun is extremely annoying, especially because it's pretty useless without razorblades or explosive barrels near you.

The vehicles.. Yuck. If I needed vehicles, I'd go play a racegame or something. And really, the vehicles maps weren't that impressive.

*puts on flameproof vest*

Originally posted by GothiX

*puts on flameproof vest*

No need, or at least from what I saw of it, less shooter and more physics puzzles and driving game, which is sad coz the engine was good and I loved the first game (whatever IG says it is not crappy) and was expecting good things of a sequal)

That said I wasn't impressed with the design of doom III the levels were too dark and repettative. and so closed in you couln't dodge the attacks of the demons as well as in the origonal, the shotgun and plasma rifle were ruined... well, the list goes on.

Get KoToR II, and if you want an older game defintely go for CoD. Remember that there's also a Half-Life source; the old game in the new engine. You might want to check out some more info on the latter.

Tssk, it was obvious he was talking about HL1. Try glasses :)

Buy HL2 simply put...why?

Mod-ability.

HL2 modders are able to make hundreds of mods that are very fun to play, and a few stand-alone.

This also means a lot of potential for world war II mods....

so if you buy CoD...you are getting one game.

HL2, you are getting hundreds of games, including several WW2 games.

Originally posted by GothiX

Here are my reasons to dislike HL2:

The textures are incredibly low-res. Compromising for the slightly detailed architecture? Who knows. Can't be technical limitations though, just look at D3 and UT2, those had some damn fine textures.

The textures were only bad on outdoor levels when you stared at the floor, otherwise it was the best looking game, eva!

The weapons. I have yet to find ONE weapon in HL2 that's actually effective enough to use. If it were for me, I'd mod in some decent M-16, gah. Only the grenades and shotgun were any good.

Yah, I felt the need for a good mid range gun, it need a M-16 like gun. The only long range guns were the .357 or crossbow (sucky)

The vehicles.. Yuck. If I needed vehicles, I'd go play a racegame or something. And really, the vehicles maps weren't that impressive

Not as cool as the Halo vehicles. The driving controls were horrible.

Ammo. Or, rather, the lack of it. Whenever I found an interesting weapon, I was forced to make only headshots, or I'd run out of bullets in no-time. Big no-no for a shooter game there, methinks.

Yah, I was out of ammo for the good guns like the AR2 and .357.

The over-emphasis on the physics. Sure, we know it's the best part of the engine, while it's not even all that original. However, the fact that you're often FORCED to switch back to the gravity gun is extremely annoying, especially because it's pretty useless without razorblades or explosive barrels near you.

It wasn't very good for battle, yah.

TiE

Archived