Home

Palpatine/Sidious appearance

rut-wa jodar

I would think he was waiting for the right time to show his real identity but his connections with the republic and confederacy he had to keep up his relations with both sides. I also think the dark side alters apperance of people but like count dooku probly uses the force to keep him looking good, this has an effect on skywalker as well just look at him in the trailer in the end he hides his uglyness with his suit.

from the sidious/palpatine profile in the (leaked) visual dictionary ...

Unmasked by deflected lightning during his duel with Mace Windu, the Sith Lord's true face is revealed to the world. But for the Senate, teh Jedi could not damage Palpatine's reputation.

what EXACTLY that means is beyond me ... his face turns grotesque because he gets nailed with his own lightning? hmmm ...

the key word there is 'unmasked'

meaning the face of Palpatine isn't his true face, but rather a very elaborate disguise. and somehow that disguise becomes no longer useable after being hit by lightning during the Mace duel.

Originally posted by Sivy

the key word there is 'unmasked'

meaning the face of Palpatine isn't his true face, but rather a very elaborate disguise. and somehow that disguise becomes no longer useable after being hit by lightning during the Mace duel.

That explains the sudden change from a rootin' tootin' senator to a old leper warding off pidgeons with a glowing red stick.

*remembers when everyone heard the first time Sidious laughed in the Teaser*

Getting struck with his own lightning? Hmm... Didn't that happen once already? ;)

I think the original concept (at least back when EpII came out) was that the dark side caused Palpy to age a lot faster than normal but then Lucas changed his mind, which would account for him looking younger in ROTS than he did in AOTC. I had always figured, however, that he hid his true appearance from the Jedi but something would happen that would prevent him from doing that anymore.

Originally posted by DarkStarMojo

I think the original concept (at least back when EpII came out) was that the dark side caused Palpy to age a lot faster than normal but then Lucas changed his mind, which would account for him looking younger in ROTS than he did in AOTC. I had always figured, however, that he hid his true appearance from the Jedi but something would happen that would prevent him from doing that anymore.

That's still the case. Lucas still says that the dark side eats away at whoever uses it. So Sidious hides his true deteriorated face using his powers.

• 2 weeks later...

WAYYYY back during conseption and design the idea was to have Sidious use an ancient darkside "cloaking" technique to "hide" his true form from those who would do him harm or undo his plans. I moved on after that to another dept. so I'm anxious myself to see how they boys and girls ended up pulling it off. That's one part of the final movie I've not seen yet. :rolleyes:

quote directly from the ROTS novelization (it should be noted that sometimes the novelization of the movies and the movies themselves differ slightly)

"'And so the mask becomes the man,' he sighed with a hint of philosophical melancholy. 'I shall miss the face of Palpatine, I think; but for our purpose, the face of Sidious will serve. Yes, it will serve.'"

and later (a speech to the senate as a whole by Palpatine) "'These jedi murderers left me scarred, left me deformed, but they could not scar my integrity! they could not deform my resolve! The remaining trators will be hunted down, rooted out wherever they may hide, and brought to justice, dead or alive! All collaborators will suffer the same fate. Those who protect the enemy are the enemy! now is the time! now we will strike back! now we will destory the destroyers! death to the enemies of democracy!'"

what an opportunist.

Originally posted by Darth Talliusc

what an opportunist.

Also, a genius. He made the galaxy hate the Jedi and revere him. It's crazy how well that worked out.

I give George Lucas props for thinking that up. The rebellion would have been a lot bigger if he just took the galaxy over.

Archived