Home

Suggestion: Animated Series 2

kum0rin

I keep watching Adult Swim and wondering aloud why Sam n' Max doesn't get a series on there. It's such a good fit, and with the Venture Bros. coming back for a new season, it means CN is willing to get behind a traditional animated series. Since they have a show about talking fast food super heroes who don't save anything, I don't think a dog and rabbity thing crime fighting team is out of the question. I think whoever has Steve's ear needs to start whispering sweet somethings into it. A successful show would mean FINALLY Sam n' Max merchandise lines and a new game.

As wonderfully subversive as the first series was, I think Sam n' Max would really blossom if it ditched the kiddie vibe and stayed truer to the comic.

Make it so!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're dumb. These are the reasons why I think you are dumb.

1.Sam and Max stil isn't that "adult" in the comicbook

2.Sam and Max isn't anime. That's what stupid kids who watch Cartoon Network feed off of these days. Then their dads rape them in their sleep.

3. Sam and Max is also actually animated. Against everything else on their line up, it would look too good.

4. It would also have to live up among the stupid likes of Family Guy and whatever stupid sitcom shows that aren't really cartoons or fun, just awfully drawn animated people who make cool jokes a 14 year old nerd would. (Not that there's anything wrong a 14 year old's jokes, but casual parodies every second and fake outrageous situations is getting old.)

5. The show was pretty not good.

So anyways, Sam and Max wouldn't even belong on cartoon network unless they were a self-parody. For what they do, Saturday morning was the best for them. Only some of the subject matter would bother censors. Cartoon Network fans are different. They are usually fifteen year old jack-offs yearning for the next epsiode of their 98 episode saga of some Japanese show where a Shonan warrior battles in the future for the right for his oracle to be restored in present time. They also need it to be 2 frames a second apparently. So they like stupid bad ass effeminate human characters that they can wish they were in real life. Either that or they want cheap jokes like the Simpsons and it's zillions of wannabe shows, which have been old for about 14 years. Anyone ever felt like they could write a better show? Well truth is, you can.

I like Sam and Max because I don't want to be either of them in real life and I also don't want them to sit around the house and make fart jokes. TV is not ready for doing such a concept that is as ridiculously hard as making cartoon characters go on adventures that are somewhat edgy and let them carry a real gun. That's heavy shit! I figure most people who like Sam and Max are smart enough to avoid TV as much as they can anyways. So that leaves Sam and Max's television audience to be furries... and they are probably way to busy with the internet anyways.

And I'm sure as you guys know, even though Steve never says much to his fans, is that he was not responsible for such a bland television show. Check out what happened to Spumco in both Ren and Stimpy and Ripping Friends for writing what they want. Invader Zim had the same problem. I'm sure there's countless other shows. Truth is, if a cartoon isn't going to make great merchandise, no one cares. It's all because fucking corporations are stealing everything that might be creatively driven and there's nothing any of us can do because we are all consumer whores.

So bland television sells. I'm surprised along with that stupid cunt, The Geek, that they didn't require Steve Purcell to add a black, an asian, and a middle eastern friend, so they we wouldn't think it's some sort of Nazi propaganda. They did it with Candy Land. You used to be able to play as just blond haired white kids in the original. So? Well, maybe that's a bit suspect... but now you can play as asian, black, white, and other white. So Candy Land filled it's quota for being PC. Not that I have any huge problem with political correctness outside of entertainment, but if it wasn't designed for all the children and races in the world, then leave it that way.

That said, the Spumco people are my television heroes. I guess Steve Purcell is too nice a guy to deal with company executives. Cartoons aren't creator driven anymore. Corporate driven.

Stop with the negative vibe you're killing my buzz.

Seriously,

The Formula is easy.

Venture Bros. is good, decently animated and a success. Therefore, your argument is false.

I understand you've been spurned, but you have to learn to love again. And all that jazz.

Originally posted by SyntheticGerbil

You're dumb. These are the reasons why I think you are dumb.

1.Sam and Max stil isn't that "adult" in the comicbook

2.Sam and Max isn't anime. That's what stupid kids who watch Cartoon Network feed off of these days. Then their dads rape them in their sleep.

3. Sam and Max is also actually animated. Against everything else on their line up, it would look too good.

4. It would also have to live up among the stupid likes of Family Guy and whatever stupid sitcom shows that aren't really cartoons or fun, just awfully drawn animated people who make cool jokes a 14 year old nerd would. (Not that there's anything wrong a 14 year old's jokes, but casual parodies every second and fake outrageous situations is getting old.)

So anyways, Sam and Max wouldn't even belong on cartoon network unless they were a self-parody. For what they do, Saturday morning was the best for them. Only some of the subject matter would bother censors. Cartoon Network fans are different. They are usually fifteen year old jack-offs yearning for the next epsiode of their 98 episode saga of some Japanese show where a Shonan warrior battles in the future for the right for his oracle to be restored in present time. They also need it to be 2 frames a second apparently. So they like stupid bad ass effeminate human characters that they can wish they were in real life. Either that or they want cheap jokes like the Simpsons and it's zillions of wannabe shows, which have been old for about 14 years. Anyone ever felt like they could write a better show? Well truth is, you can.

I like Sam and Max because I don't want to be either of them in real life and I also don't want them to sit around the house and make fart jokes. TV is not ready for doing such a concept that is as ridiculously hard as making cartoon characters go on adventures that are somewhat edgy and let them carry a real gun. That's heavy shit! I figure most people who like Sam and Max are smart enough to avoid TV as much as they can anyways. So that leaves Sam and Max's television audience to be furries... and they are probably way to busy with the internet anyways.

And I'm sure as you guys know, even though Steve never says much to his fans, is that he was not responsible for such a bland television show. Check out what happened to Spumco in both Ren and Stimpy and Ripping Friends for writing what they want. Invader Zim had the same problem. I'm sure there's countless other shows. Truth is, if a cartoon isn't going to make great merchandise, no one cares. It's all because fucking corporations are stealing everything that might be creatively driven and there's nothing any of us can do because we are all consumer whores.

So bland television sells. I'm surprised along with that stupid cunt, The Geek, that they didn't require Steve Purcell to add a black, an asian, and a middle eastern friend, so they we wouldn't think it's some sort of Nazi propaganda. They did it with Candy Land. You used to be able to play as just blond haired white kids in the original. So? Well, maybe that's a bit suspect... but now you can play as asian, black, white, and other white. So Candy Land filled it's quota for being PC. Not that I have any huge problem with political correctness outside of entertainment, but if it wasn't designed for all the children and races in the world, then leave it that way.

That said, the Spumco people are my television heroes. I guess Steve Purcell is too nice a guy to deal with company executives. Cartoons aren't creator driven anymore. Corporate driven.

I think YOURE dumb.

1. Sam and Max is more "adult" in the comic book than the gay ass saturday morning cartoon show was.

2. Sam and Max isnt anime, and neither are the funny shows on Adult Swim. Just cuase your dad touches you in your "no-no place" when youre sleeping, doesnt mean ours did.

3. Sam and Max isnt animated, its drawn well, the show wasnt, thats why they would need a good one, and Adult Swim wouldnt be a bad place for it just because you think your opinion matters.

4. Family Guy rocks, once again, just because you think your opinion matters (which it doesnt, and neither does mine) doesnt mean that what you say goes.

5. The show was pretty not good.

So yeah, I like Adult Swim, I also smoke pot and like alcohol. Do any of these things make me a loser? Thats a matter of opinion, and once again, no ones opinion matters. You have to rant about why you dont like adult swim and anime, to make yourself feel like youre better than the people that do like anime and adult swim. Just like the jocks that play football like to talk **** about me and my nerdy friends that liked Sam & Max comics back in high school.

Point being the bitter rants on this forum from regulars like you that used to once be capable of human interaction is getting more boring than same jokes you say you see on Adult Swim (which you also say you dont watch....so im not sure how you know its all the same jokes...) and its dumb ass **** like that makes me stop posting on forums usually.

This forum is starting to look like a black hole in the asshole of the internet, and thats kinda sad cause I used to like it here.

See you guys around,

Tom

Sharmaging, I don't think you fully understood what I was saying. You have a couple things backwards. You should reread what I posted and why I posted. Don't be such a fucking baby. You've got to take an edgy stand if you are going to shun off the American way.

I'm far from a high school jock. I don't even know how you could get that. I'm the most harmless guy ever. I'm not going to give you noogies and then stick my helmet tape over your asshole in the locker room. The only reason you are pissed is because you felt attacked because you buy into the capitalist machine. I think judging by everything you just spilled about your personal life, people tell you what to like.

And to a basic point, what would this post have been if I didn't reply?

SMNMX: "yah I love adult swim dude"

Hitman006xp: "were can i get epiosodes"

Jolly.

And hey, guy who thinks he could actually say something I said was false:

Venture Bros stars manly men. What did I say about people wanting manly characters? Ties in with the anime factor. You think Sam and Max would make you look cool for watching it? No casual guy gets it really. And also you said "decently animated."

Hah.

(Maybe it would help everyone if I posted disclaimers saying most of the arrogance is just a joke. I do make fun of myself a lot in shitfuck, but no one ever gets it. Except RayJones, he gets everything. Nothing over that guys head.)

i wasnt saying you were a jock. I was saying your stupid rants against people and their opinions are on the same level as dumb jocks.

You can say I buy into the capitolist corprate america all you want, but the truth is far from it. If you can read between the lines, and past the bull****, its got some funny stuff in there (AdultSwim that is). Its better than watching re-runs of Home Improvement or some crap like that.

What angered me and prompted my response was your attitude more than anything else, and your attitude is yours, and you can roll into whatever kind of ****ball you like, but it just makes you look like an ignorant jerk, and im sure thats at least partially the internet image youre going for.

Theres alot of dumbass little kiddies here, and im sure alot of their dumbasses like adultswim too, so fukcing what, good for them, learn to ignore them, talk to skinkie, get em banned, whatever, why sit here monitoring the board just to slam every opinion that you read on here?

You think this place is ever gonna get more members if you attack everyone that says something that they think would be a good idea? Or maybe thats what you want, the same, what, 8 members or whatever posting here over and over again about random shlt that has nothing to do with Sam & Max?

Hey, guess what, I think a new show that doesnt suck donkey balls would rock. I think it would rock if it was on Adult Swim, and I think it would rock if it was on FOX after The Simpsons, it would all depend on how it was written.

Basically man, I just think your whole persona on this forum is crap, just cause youve posted here for who knows how long, its like it gives you some sort of permission to be an asshole, and I dont buy into it, and I dont think it helps this little "community" (if you could even call it that) here at all.

Now you go ahead and type your pre determined reply, putting down what i said here, and making some comments that sound funny in your head when you picture me getting my feelings hurt by them, and declaring you the winner, then ill come back and read it, and just say something along the lines of "yeah whatever" and this forum will continue going on like this until Jake loses interest and we all have to go sit around some other forum doing who the hell knows what, talking about how "Anime sucks." and "No you suck."

Maybe it would help if you weren't being obtuse for the sake of making yourself giggle in delight. Oh, I knew you were putting on. That doesn't change the fact that I think you're doing a piss poor job of making your argument.

Let's take a step back in time.

"Truth is, if a cartoon isn't going to make great merchandise, no one cares. It's all because ****ing corporations are stealing everything that might be creatively driven and there's nothing any of us can do because we are all consumer whores."

This is based on the assumption that Sam & Max would make less appealing merchandise than The Venture Bros. or Sealab. Where is the truth in that? You position this statement to support the idea that Sam & Max wouldn't work as an animated series on Adult Swim, but the facts don't back you up.

"Corprorations are stealing everything that might be..." Look at those word choices. "stealing everything". They aren't buying or investing. They're stealing. I'm not trying to be a PC bitch but

this just makes you sound bitter and it hurts your credibility.

"So anyways, Sam and Max wouldn't even belong on cartoon network unless they were a self-parody. For what they do, Saturday morning was the best for them."

False. FALSE. F-A-L-S-E. How is Venture Bros. self parody? Or even Aqua Teen Hunger Force? What about itself is it parodying exactly?

Why do you think Saturday Morning was the best place for them, they were never meant for kids. The comics aren't, the game wasn't. What changed?

"They are usually fifteen year old jack-offs yearning for the next epsiode of their 98 episode saga of some Japanese show where a Shonan warrior battles in the future for the right for his oracle to be restored in present time. They also need it to be 2 frames a second apparently. So they like stupid bad ass effeminate human characters that they can wish they were in real life."

THEY ARE USUALLY... you are basing this on what ? I get the humor in this statement. But as you proved in your last post, you're presenting it as fact. It is anything but. Futurama was number one on Adult Swim unopposed for some time, does that mean a bunch of 15 y/o wanted to be one-eyed cyclops women, bad mouthed robots, or poor crab creatures? Or sticking with humans, an intergalactic pizza boy? Does anyone really want to be Dean Venture? Or Doctor Venture? You're only talking about one character when you say Manly Men: Brock. He may be a break out character but so is the Monarch, and he's far from a "manly man"

"I figure most people who like Sam and Max are smart enough to avoid TV as much as they can anyways."

Enjoyment of Sam & Max is predicated on a knowledge and appreciation for trash, for pop culture and for art. eliminate one or the other and it's not as funny. Believe me.

Venture Bros. has decent animation as in its not Harvey Birdman Attorney at law. Characters move with fluidity, it is not stylized to hide its shortcomings.

Now, you said one very interesting thing in that statement. "TV is not ready for doing such a concept that is as ridiculously hard as making cartoon characters go on adventures that are somewhat edgy and let them carry a real gun. That's heavy ****!"

Now if this is what you meant by "Saturday morning was better for them" I understand your point but I still don't agree. The reason I bring this topic up at all is to say "hey! the timing looks right. Maybe TV IS ready for this." Regardless your opinion of South Park it's stayed consistently popular despite not always going for the easy gag (ala The Simpsons, Family Guy as defined by you). It's also featured animals that worship Satan, and go to school to learn to abort a fetus. A cartoon dog carrying around a gun is small potatoes next to that.

"And to a basic point, what would this post have been if I didn't reply?"

You know, it IS possible to discuss things without being a total drag.

Now, if you were to make the statement:

"There is a history of animated shows geared towards a mature audience featuring anthropomorphic animals flopping because the audience failed to connect" you might have a point. But like I said, I think Adult Swim has slowly acclimated its audience to quirky different shows. And there ARE real people in the Sam & Max world. Plenty of Fodder for their violence.

Pluh, you think corporations aren't ruining animation? You're just another product if you don't even agree with that. If you are going to argue that point from the beginning, you are blind.

"This is based on the assumption that Sam & Max would make less appealing merchandise than The Venture Bros. or Sealab. Where is the truth in that? You position this statement to support the idea that Sam & Max wouldn't work as an animated series on Adult Swim, but the facts don't back you up."

No see, here's where you don't even understand the point in the first place. Sam and Max shouldn't even have to be based on merchandise? You think Steve Purcell is interested in a plush doll? You think a creation for the sake of creations sake? Anything can be sold with with enough promotion, because people WILL buy what you tell them. Who owns promotion? Who can flood the market with their billions? Corporations. If Sam and Max were to not be corporate owned, then they simply couldn't exist. If you read anything about any cartoons behind the scenes, this stuff would make sense. Sam and Max would make appealing merchandise for kids because of their image. That's the conflict. Regular television world can't understand that kiddy looking animals can be screwed up. And if a corporation thought it would sell, would you have any respect from Steve Purcell if he made Max into Spongebob Squarepants? Are you saying that you want Max pencil sharpeners, backpacks, and shampoo? Well that's really the only way to keep the show going. Invader Zim merchandise did not sell too well until way after it was cancelled. Why is this do you think? Ren and Stimpy's creators were fired from the show so that they could keep a good image for the show to sell more product. So look up cancelled cartoon shows you loved. Why were they cancelled? Look up cartoons in the past 25 years, why were they sucessful? Corporations didn't start to take hold of markets until late 70s. Same thing happened to the music industry. But I'm sure you're a slave to Clearchannel radio also.

Okay and I'll keep the rest short.

"Look at those word choices. "stealing everything". They aren't buying or investing. They're stealing. I'm not trying to be a PC bitch but

this just makes you sound bitter and it hurts your credibility."

Okay, there are obvious wormholes. I'm calling it what it is. If they have the money, like I said, to flood the market with their bull****, who's going to be successful? The corporation. Everytime. Nothing independent or sefl-produced will ever be funded by a corporation giving them full creative control and independence of their creation. This is because, it's the corporations product, they decide. It if sells they keep it and exploit it themselves. I'm not trying to be a PC bitch, but have you ever heard of mass advertising?

"False. FALSE. F-A-L-S-E. How is Venture Bros. self parody? Or even Aqua Teen Hunger Force? What about itself is it parodying exactly?

Why do you think Saturday Morning was the best place for them, they were never meant for kids. The comics aren't, the game wasn't. What changed?"

Venture Bros. is a parody of Johnny Quest and 80s action cartoons. No denying, read what the creators say. Aqua Teen Hunger Force is a parody on even being a cartoon. They don't even try. It's just clip art made by some DJ guy. Sam and Max isn't that cheap. Adult Swim caters to that kind of stuff. If Adult Swim did pick up a comic related Sam and Max show, it wouldn't be outrageous or stupid enough to last one season. It has too much adventure going for it. I would watch it, and you would watch it, but how many of your friends would?

"But as you proved in your last post, you're presenting it as fact."

I said USUALLY. Besides, you are presenting yourself as a fact against a fact.

"Enjoyment of Sam & Max is predicated on a knowledge and appreciation for trash, for pop culture and for art. eliminate one or the other and it's not as funny. Believe me. "

What? How is Sam and Max a pop culture comic? Most of it has to do with tourist attractions and general knowledge of dumb stuff in our world. Stuckey's doesn't count as pop culture to me. That counts as backwater funny. It ISN'T Shrek, man.

"Regardless your opinion of South Park it's stayed consistently popular despite not always going for the easy gag (ala The Simpsons, Family Guy as defined by you). It's also featured animals that worship Satan, and go to school to learn to abort a fetus. A cartoon dog carrying around a gun is small potatoes next to that."

Reason anyone started watching South Park, no matter how bland it was the first couple of seasons, is that Kenny died, kids said bitch, and there was vomit and shit. It set the bar high. Sam and Max will be inbetween the adult spectrum and the kid spectrum. That makes it an all ages sort of outing. All ages are difficult to truly make them live up to the standards of the name sake.

I don't know, I'll try not to be a drag, but there's a lot of **** wrong with American television. Two biggest things, merchandising and censorship. Tex Avery never had to deal with this sort of thing in the 1940s. They say Hanna Barbara is responsbile for the onslaught.

this argument is based off...

o·pin·ion n.

1. A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof: “The world is not run by thought, nor by imagination, but by opinion” (Elizabeth Drew).

Well, all this talk about a new animated show when the last one sucked...I guess honestly it would just be alot cooler if Purcell would just draw and release a new Sam & Max comic book....

Which I think, deep down inside, is what Synthetic was trying to say.

It is. I don't want them in show form.

I think he should do colored ones like the Toybox comics or the Sam and Max shorts. I think they're beautiful. Where is Spudvision? Fuck the movie Cars,

One of my fears is that what happened to Ren & Stimpy will happen to Sam & Max, they come back 'edgier' and homosexual.

That's funny, because that's how the creator really meant them to be. In fact I think he wanted them to be even gayer than they were in the new series but stopped because it was making everyone too uncomfortable. How do I feel about homosexual jokes? I don't know man!

Along the topic lines, that NBC show Father of the Pride which was a computer animated and starred the lions of Sigfreid and Roy flopped pretty instantaneously. It was about a bunch of messed up cartoon animals too. I thought it was pretty funny, but I could see how it could have similar problems finding a good audience.

Although the best part of the show was just how gay Sigfreid and Roy were.

Yeah, full length, color Sam & Max would be awsome.

Once long ago ( or about a year or so ago) I started working on coloring some S&M comics, just to see how good I could do and how it would come out, I dont think I have them laying around anymore, didnt really ever plan on human eyes ever seeing them, but when I saw "color" and "Sam & Max" in the same sentence it reminded me of that, and I forgot why I stopped. I know why I started, because I've never been as good at coloring in artwork then I was at drawing it, maybe I'll look into again someday, or maybe I'll just nail stuffed animals to a wall or somethig, who knows.

i second that.

As an animator i can't stand anime. It's basically a style of writing and drawing which requires no skill. But the shows are flashy, cheap to produce, and have a built in subculture or losers who will watch anything adverstised as japanese. Thats why Cartoon Network and other stations love them.

As far as the comedy on Adult Swim goes, i will say this: Random does not equal funny.

Originally posted by sheaday6

As far as the comedy on Adult Swim goes, i will say this: Random does not equal funny.

my only gripe with adult swim cartoons. the randomness in Family Guy is funny. It is pulled off very well. Sealab 2021, is, in my opinion, the biggest contributor to "random, its funny!" I hate when things in Aqua Teen just 'blow up'.

I'll stop now.

Man, you guys are the coolest. You got the anime hatred, the respect for gay Ren and Stimpy, and Evan Dorkin. That's going pretty far.

Hey Sheadey, I'm trying to become an animator. One day we should make a studio that enslaves television and its mama's pussy.

I remember the Eltingville pilot. Eltingville isn't my favorite of Evan Dorkin. Maybe, I hate to say this, I'm not nerdy enough to appreciate a lot of crap, especially crap that makes references to crapier shit.

He should have made a Hectic Planet pilot. Hectic Planet is my favorite. The Devil Puppet eats Jesus also. In fact, a Murder Family pilot probably would have had the most success.

Originally posted by SyntheticGerbil

Man, you guys are the coolest. You got the anime hatred, the respect for gay Ren and Stimpy, and Evan Dorkin. That's going pretty far.

The hatred for anime has gone way back... friggin' dragon ball z. THAT'S NOT ANIMATION. Anime is just some japanese guy who drew 5 pictures then stuck them together to make a 15 minute crap-fest. That's not even the worst part about it though, I can live with that crap being made, it's nothing new. What REALLY bothers me is those stupids kids AND adults who dress up and take an unhealthy interest in Japan. Don't get me wrong, I like Ninja's and Samurai as much as the next guy, but these kids are taking Japanese classes, and using that "san" suffix at the end of people's names. And don't get me started on J-Pop...

As for gay Ren and Stimpy, gay humor does not bother me, in fact, it's quite funny. I'm one of those firm believers in the saying "You can't catch gay."

And I don't know who Evan Dorkin is, but his last name has intrigued me enough to punch it into google.

There's my rant for the day.

Archived