urluckyday

What handheld is better?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What handheld is better?

• Nintendo DS
    • Sony PSP
    • They both rock!
    • They both stink!

At the moment, I like the DS more because it's something new, and doesn't cost $300 dollars.

It's really a matter of tastes. I'd get a PSP if it wasn't $300, but at that price, it's stupid. Sure the PSP can play music, movies, and stuff... but that's all useless extra features I don't need. Plus, the battery life for the PSP has to be horrible... not very Portable is it?

Originally posted by Chase Windu

I've heard a lot of negatives about both. The Nintendo DS still used carts and has suckier graphics than the PSP. The PSP may use discs and has better graphics than the DS but it's built poorly and can break easily. I'm just going to wait and see what the next wave of handhelds brings.

speaking of carts and discs brings up a good point, in a console, yes i want discs. On my computer, i want discs, but in a handheld? i want something durable enough to carry all over the place without worrying. carts are durable, discs scratch...sure, the graphics are a poorer on carts, which is why modern consoles use discs, but if they are being jostled around in your pocket, or backpack, etc, the graphics aren't going to be the problem if the disc gets scratched or broken, both of which are a very plausible possibility when they are being ported (couldn't think of the present tense of portable:D )

The biggest problem I have with the PSP is that it's going to kill 2D gaming. The handheld world is the last refuge for old skool 2D gaming and encouraging more 3d over 2d is gonna kill old skool gaming once and for all.

But of course no one cares, if a 2d Metroid game comes out on the DS all those gamers out there who don't like Metroid will critisise it just cause it's 2d and just plain all out say it's crap because of that reason.

Originally posted by Lynk Former

The biggest problem I have with the PSP is that it's going to kill 2D gaming.

thats crazy talk. People always have a softspot for retro stuff, thus the releases of classic anthologies :)

I think the psp is costly, but since Im getting one disrt cheap, I would would pick it over the DS any day... It already has ports of alot of the games I play on my ps2...soccer/golf, dynasty warriors, final fantasy title on its way :D All iam making sure I get is one of tjose cases that has extra battery in it, as well as helping to protect that huge a$$ screen during downtime :D

mtfbwya

I'm not that much happier with the NDS. The best launch title they had down here was a port, a very fun port with great mini games, but a port no less. Nintendo really should've rethought their stance there and released a completely original Mario game to launch the DS. Other than that it has a whole flood of fun lil games, but most are not what I'm looking for. I'm waiting for those 2D RPGs and such XD

There aren't many games I'm waiting for, a 2D Metroid game, a Zelda game or two, Another Code and anything else that catches my eye.

Anywayz, I think the general idea with the NDS and PSP is... if you want to play games that you can get on your console, but on a handheld. Get a PSP.

If you want to play the kind of games that has been released on the Gameboy series for many many years but with different controls, get a NDS.

After seeing them both in person, they're both mighty impressive!(curse my rich asian friend :fist: ) I was also surprised to see him watching anime on the PSP...

But the price of it, plus the cost of the memory stick...:wornout:

XD Yes, your PS2 and big TV isn't good enough to play those games. Get a PSP so you can play them on a smaller battery powered version!

I like how some ppl are saying "OMG why get a PSP if you can play ps2 at home !!" this means they are either school-aged or unemployed... Some people actually leave the house, go on alot of trips. Interstate and overseas. Long drives and plane trips. A PSP would be awesome to take along, along with my pocket pc which I use for music/books/movies....

I have a GBA emu that works a treat on my pocket pc... I have no need for my GBA SP anymore..

mtfbwya

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

I like how some ppl are saying "OMG why get a PSP if you can play ps2 at home !!" this means they are either school-aged or unemployed... Some people actually leave the house, go on alot of trips. Interstate and overseas. Long drives and plane trips. A PSP would be awesome to take along, along with my pocket pc which I use for music/books/movies....

I have a GBA emu that works a treat on my pocket pc... I have no need for my GBA SP anymore..

mtfbwya

whoah, they have emulators for Pocket PCs!?!?!?! i was thinking about getting one.... but with emus.... WHOAH!!!

Originally posted by Lieutenant_kettch

whoah, they have emulators for Pocket PCs!?!?!?! i was thinking about getting one.... but with emus.... WHOAH!!!

werdage they do...

Morphgear is the proggie you need. It emulates : GB, GBC, GBA, sega master system, sega genesis, sega game gear, NES, SNES ....

ive been playing all my odl school faves, chrono trigger, sonic etc ....se pic below... PM me if you want more info :p

Only problem with that Astro is that a small percentage actually get a handheld for that reason, the rest are just convinced it's cool to own one.

hmm ? well people who do that are damn silly and are indeed wasting their, or their parents $$$ :p

The only person around here I know has one is Old Mike(txa) and I know that he is out and about just like me for work etc..

mtfbwya

Ive said something similar elsewhere but I was at a Lan earlier today where I ran into some international students showin off a cpl of psps.... I had my first hands on play with a psp today !!! Ok, Im a sony fanboi, but the graphics...the size of the screen..... I played GT4 and FIFA soccer and it is truly like having a portable ps2.... awesome....

*cant wait to get one later this year*

mtfbwya

• 4 weeks later...

Hand helds suck, get a console.

PS3 is comming out, so I'd suggest waiting till then. But it's well worth the wait.

a) not only are these consols great for giving the game an atmosphere but,

b) they have an inbuilt DVD player, which means you can play DVDs if either your main DVD player is stuffed up or you don't have one at all.

Archived