Home

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (The Movie)

RpTheHotrod

Originally posted by RpTheHotrod

Well, I saw this last night. Honestly, I havn't really laughed at a movie for a long time, was good to have a few good laughs. :D

Really liked it. Think Monty Python, but in space.

Anyone else watch it, yet?

The question is if it's truthful to the spirit of the book. Is it?

Originally posted by Tyrion

The question is if it's truthful to the spirit of the book. Is it?

I never read the book, but here's what I heard about the movie.

That it's not true to the book itself TOTALLY, but it's true to the whole idea.

I am HUGE HHGG fan.... Ive read the book(s)several times, the first time in 1983 when I was 8 years old :D I have the radio dramas and TV series, and have been waiting forever for this production to finish :) Friends that have seen it that are big fans have been overall pleased. Most fan reviews I have read have been positive, except for a coupl of notable exceptions...

I am seeing it this coming tuesday, and I am just looking forward to seeing how it pans out. Douglas Adams was involved in its creation of course, adding some new scenes that havent appeared in any other incarnation of the series... It's sad he wont be around to see how it all panned out :(

mtfbwya or in this case 42 ;)

Saw it. Liked it. Would see it again.

It wasn't perfect, but pretty good.

My biggest complaint was how rushed everything felt. I guess that's part of cramming everything into a 2-hour movie... but I would have liked a bit more of a relaxed feel.

Also... I thought Zaphod was made a bit too dumb.... but that's a small complaint. It's still a far step above the TV series.

I still think the books are still the best part of the H2G2 universe however.

with vague refs to the spoilers above...

Im interested in seeing how they do "deep thought" That is one arrogant compy :

-"Are you not a greater computer than the Milliard Gargantubrain of MaxiMegalon, which can count all the atoms in a star in a millisecond ?"

-"A MERE ABACUS!! MENTION IT NOT !!"

:p

mtfbwya

It was, erm. ok.

I haven't read the book for at least 10 years and i can only remember vague details, so i can't comment on the accuracy. Most of it seemed familiar though.

I agree on the "feeling rushed" comment. It felt almost like a cross between farscape and 10 red dwarf episodes... but all crammed into slightly too small a space. Especially as they kept shooting into flashbacks and so on. Gave it a chaotic, sketch show feeling.

I wasn't particularly blown away by the script, or any of the actors... but none of them were terrible either.

The guy who played Ford Prefect was fairly unmemorable though. And, much as i like Alan Rickman, i thought his Marvin was fairly poor (though he still got most of the laughs).

Hell, my MUM does a better Marvin impersonation than he does!!! :D

It also wasn't hugely funny. It was mildly humerous throught, but not really side-splittingly funny at any point. People in the audience seemed fairly unimpressed by the whole thing, as there wasn't much excited chatter on the way out (except about the ep3 trailer).

The one thing i did think was really cool was the graphic design. The designs for the space ships, the vogon home world, earth, deep thought etc... were all really cool and weird. That was the best bit for me... the sureal design and landscapes.

Oh, and seeing the original Marvin in the queue on the vogon homeworld

They also didn't finish a number of plots

John Malkovich wanting his gun, the vice president suddenly joining them, etc..

All in all, like a big budget version of a middle of the road Red Dwarf episode.

I saw it earlier today...

overall enjoyable. I can see how some very anal hardcore fans may not like the changes, but they really need to get over it. The spirit of HHGG is there, definitely. Adams, wrote the script after all :) I loved Sam Rockwells Zaphod, I always saw zaphod as an arrogant egomaniac with a sense of humour and intermittent air of stupidity..

wow, deep thought was a bit different than I imagined....and that banter which I hinted at above is gone... no biggie tho :p

I liekd Mos Def as ford too, and arthur was OK...

like Toms, I agree that the look was excellent :)

Stephen Fry did a great job as the voice of the diary, though Rickmans Marvin was a bit stange. I think it was mad elike that so kids can understand too ?? The BBC Marvin was hilarious, but so droning that only a more mature mind would appreciate the humour in it...

Im looking forward to the DVD with extra bits hopefully :p

mtfbwya

Originally posted by Chase Windu

What I want to know is if

Zaphod ever got the gun to Humma Kavula and get his head back.

The movie just left it up to speculation and we're supposed to think he did. But did they ever say what happened in the book?

That plot, and Malkovich's character, are totally unique to this movie, and never appeared in any of the other versions AFAIK... so your guess as to how it turns out is as good as mine.

That brings up a good point: My favorite parts of the movie were the parts that never appeared in any of the other Hitchhiker's versions so far. I suspect it was the element of surprise, since I know the story so well otherwise.

I wasn't thrilled with the love story element... that seemed too "Hollywood"-ish for me.

It still really bothers me how dumb they made Zaphod. He's actually one of the most clever characters in the other versions of the story, he just acts dumb most of the time, (although there are some very complex reasons why he does...) but those are pretty small complaints.

Originally posted by Alegis

Heard a lot of good comments about the book, waiting till it hits theaters here... In a month or five. Damn french people and their dubs.

arent there independent theaters that show subbed version in the original english ?? If not, go for a good asian bootleg :) JK

mtfbwya

Archived