Home

High Level Force Powers V2.1 released

stoffe

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are planning on updating this again, may I recomend a high level force power? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Skywalker. "In the New Jedi Order novel series, Luke uses a powerful and unique ability of the Force known as "Emerald Lightning" by fans of the series in the final battle against the Yuuzhan Vong. This technique has been described to look like "green sparks," which can instantly kill its victim. No other character can generate such powerful lightning."

Green lightning would make an ultimate force power. Lvl 26+ It would be obviously the light side counterpart to Force Storm.

~Frank

• 2 weeks later...

also Black spear of midnight or something like that could be added, or others...

Force Throw - Causes objects to be hurled towards a target. Darth Vader used this to hit Luke in The Empire Strikes Back, Darth Maul used it in The Phantom Menace in order to hit a switch and open a door while fighting, and Count Dooku used it in Attack of the Clones to drop part of a pillar onto an unconscious Obi-Wan Kenobi and an injured Anakin Skywalker. A skilled force-user can throw multiple large objects simultaneously at great speed, as evidenced by Darth Sidious during his duel with Yoda in the Senate chamber. During the same duel, Jedi Master Yoda himself hurled a spinning delegate seat back at Sidious.

Thought bomb - Perhaps the most destructive Force power ever displayed. Only known to be activated by Lord Kaan and members of the Brotherhood of the Dark during the Battle of Ruusan, the Thought Bomb exterminates all life within a large radius (known to be potentially as large as planets) by targeting the brain or nucleus (with one-celled organisms and such) and wiping out all information in it. Force sensitive beings are sucked towards the source of the bomb, as if by an immense gravity well. Ever since Lord Kaan detonated the Thought Bomb, Ruusan has been left uninhabited. The only people to ever escape a Thought Bomb were Darth Bane and the young girl he took as his apprentice.

If you are planning on updating this again, may I recomend a high level force power? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Skywalker. "In the New Jedi Order novel series, Luke uses a powerful and unique ability of the Force known as "Emerald Lightning" by fans of the series in the final battle against the Yuuzhan Vong. This technique has been described to look like "green sparks," which can instantly kill its victim. No other character can generate such powerful lightning."

Green lightning would make an ultimate force power. Lvl 26+ It would be obviously the light side counterpart to Force Storm.

~Frank

Or, you could have an LS Lightning power such as Electric Judgement, which I think is gold, more powerful than Force Lightning, and used by Plo Koon and possibly by Luke.

I currently have no plans for a new version of this mod since I have run out of ideas for Force Powers to add. Should I think of a few more, or if someone has reasonable ideas for powers to add, that might change though.

"Emerald Lightning" (snip) No other character can generate such powerful lightning.

If no other character can use it, and Luke isn't in the game and won't even be born for another 4000 years, wouldn't it be somewhat pointless to add that power to the game? :p

Or, you could have an LS Lightning power such as Electric Judgement, which I think is gold, more powerful than Force Lightning, and used by Plo Koon and possibly by Luke.

What happened to the whole "A Jedi uses the force for knowledge and defense, never to attack" dogma? Just a personal belief of Yoda and not part of the core Jedi teachings?

Granted, there are some semi-offensive lightside powers in the game already, but what's the point of a lightsider being tempted to use Force Lightning if there's a better lightside version of it anyway with all the benefits and none of the corruption drawbacks? :)

also Black spear of midnight or something like that could be added (snip)

Black Spear of Midnight? I've never heard of it before, sounds like something from a fantasy setting. What would this power do?

Force Throw (snip)

While telekinesis powers are fun and I'd love to have this one, I don't think it is possible to implement in KotOR in a believable way due to the lack of a physics/collision engine and movable world objects. (Throw was tons of fun when playing Dark Forces II:Jedi Knight ages ago though... :) )

Thought bomb (snip)

A Force Power that instantly kills everyone in the whole area while pulling their corpses towards the caster? Sounds like overkill even by my standards. :)

oh well and at least a removal of the "energy bomb" in the player's hand when they perform Force Crush, Pain/Choke/Kill, Force grip(?)?

also, as you look very able and skilled, can you make the Shock/Force Lighting/Force Storm look more like in the movies?

I'm talking about this... see the orb on the elbow? I would like, in your next update, to see it removed from FCrush, Pain, Choke, Kill and Force Grip (if you used it of course)

http://www.pcgamemods.com/core/11028/screenshots/b1.jpg

Black spear of midnight here

http://starwars.wikicities.com/wiki/Spear_of_midnight_black

sorry I misspelled the name

also there are 2 more things you should do (IMO): firstly, make the user of a DS force power be drawes of 1,2,3 points (depends on the level of the technique) towards the Dark side, it reflects the idea that it consumes you. Secondly, you should make Force Lightning a bit more similar to what stated here http://starwars.wikicities.com/wiki/Force_lightning

extreme agony.. hmm could you possibly add a temporary penalty to the stats of who is struck by force lightning? like -X points to all stats but CHA and WIS

• 2 weeks later...
oh well and at least a removal of the "energy bomb" in the player's hand when they perform Force Crush, Pain/Choke/Kill, Force grip(?)?

While a fairly minor modification to spells.2da should take care of the visual "cast" effect (set the casthandvisual column to **** for the rows of those powers), it falls a bit outside the scope of this Mod. The HLFP-mod doesn't modify any of the existing force powers, it just adds new ones.

Black spear of midnight here

http://starwars.wikicities.com/wiki/Spear_of_midnight_black

sorry I misspelled the name

There aren't any "throwing" weapons in the game except grenades (or rockets I suppose), and I'm not good enough at modelling to make a new visual effect for a spear from scratch. The best I could do with what's available would probably be a "Black Rocket of Midnight". :p

also there are 2 more things you should do (IMO): firstly, make the user of a DS force power be drawes of 1,2,3 points (depends on the level of the technique) towards the Dark side, it reflects the idea that it consumes you.

I prefer the "Kyle Katarn" style of thinking, that force abilities are tools, and that it is what you do with them that's potentially good or evil, not the tool itself. "Intent" is a key word here.

While you may draw power for the dark or light, and may have a greater affinity for one side due to your own alignment or mindset, I don't think merely using a power at your disposal, regardless of the circumstance, makes you any more good or evil either way.

I don't think it would make you any more inherently evil to fry someone with lightning than it would to lop someones appendages off with a lightsaber or burn someone to death with a blaster, for example.

Hypothetical(1): You are out for a walk, unarmed, and come across a gang of muggers attempting to rob an innocent civilian. You force choke the muggers for a while to incapaciate them (not enough to kill them), allowing their victim and yourself to escape unharmed. Have you just done an evil act?

Hypothetical(2): You are out for a walk, carrying your lightsaber, and come across a gang of muggers attempting to rob an innocent civilian. You draw your saber and attempt to intervene, but the muggers are foolishly thinking they can take you with strength of numbers numbers and attack, forcing you to cut them down with your saber, still saving their victim in the end. Have you just done an evil act?

:)

I think the game's alignment system is broken at any rate. If Palpatine was playing KotOR1 or TSL he would probably end up grey/neutral with perhaps a slight tilt towards the dark. To be a Darksider in the KotOR games you either need to be pointlessly rude and cruel to everyone, a petty thug or an insane murderous psychopath.

Secondly, you should make Force Lightning a bit more similar to what stated here http://starwars.wikicities.com/wiki/Force_lightning

extreme agony.. hmm could you possibly add a temporary penalty to the stats of who is struck by force lightning? like -X points to all stats but CHA and WIS

The Chain Lightning power already does this, pretty much, temporarily inflicting slow and ability penalties to the victim and throwing them back. Only difference is that it hits more than one enemy if more are nearby. Though Lightning is never used against more than one opponent simultaneously in the movies so I don't know how it would work against multiple foes. :)

stoffe, I completely agree with your "Kyle Katarn" style of thinking, as well as with your opinion of both Kotor and TSL's alignment system/force power relations. I guess the developers of both games should have given this part of the games more thought, for smoother gameplay. Also, I think I am speaking for everyone here at the forums by saying a BIG Thank You! for a great mod and for making Kotor/TSL better and better.

P.S. Also a very big Thank You to all the other modders for your dedicated support and for making Kotor/TSL awsome (instead of just good or mediocre). Well thats my two cent, keep up the good work guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Just registered for one question! :D

I noticed I can see all the force powers in my force power window once I gained a level... with the exception of all those that require a class like marauder etc. Did I mess it up with another addon/conversion or does it work the way it should? Thanks in advance :)

I noticed I can see all the force powers in my force power window once I gained a level... with the exception of all those that require a class like marauder etc. Did I mess it up with another addon/conversion or does it work the way it should?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean? Where do you see all force powers? What do you have problems with?

Sorry, I was somewhat in a hurry and my english suffered from it... more clearly:

When I level up (around lvl 14 right now) I can see all the force powers available EXCEPT those that require a prestige class chosen (Force Destruction for example). As I am not yet high enough to choose a prestige class I wonder if having chosen a prestige class is a requirement to see the force powers which are only available to characters with a prestige class.

When I level up (around lvl 14 right now) I can see all the force powers available EXCEPT those that require a prestige class chosen (Force Destruction for example). As I am not yet high enough to choose a prestige class I wonder if having chosen a prestige class is a requirement to see the force powers which are only available to characters with a prestige class.

I think so, at least that's how it was meant to work. :) Though as I always tend to play as a Sentinel/Jedi Master I don't have much experience how it looks from another point of view.

The only power that should be available to pick before reaching character level 20 should be Force Pull. The rest should be dimmed/red and unpickable at levelup until then.

• 1 month later...

Hi Stoffe. Let me start by saying I have both KOTOR and KOTOR II on Xbox and have beaten them without cheats/mods and now I just bought KOTOR II for PC so that I can increase the replayability of this game through mods. I also think this is an awesome mod but I do have a problem...

I downloaded 2.0 and then 2.1 and installed them both. Every power from the new power list appears except Spirit Exodus (I checked over them several times). I am useing another mod which summons 3 floating lightsabers. ( http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=144073 ) Seeing as these both summon pets I was not sure if this was the reason Spirit Exodus did not show up. I would really love to have this power Pls help!!

-THx

Darth Caleb

• 2 weeks later...
Every power from the new power list appears except Spirit Exodus (I checked over them several times). I am useing another mod which summons 3 floating lightsabers. ( http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=144073 ) Seeing as these both summon pets I was not sure if this was the reason Spirit Exodus did not show up.

Sorry for the late reply, I must have missed the post when I was browsing the forums for new posts.

Anyway, I don't think there should be any incompatibility if you installed this Mod after the Floating Sabers one (or if that one use a similar installer, I don't remember).

Does your character fulfill the prerequisites for the power? You must be either a Jedi Master or a Sith Lord, and level 30 or higher. Rather draconian requirements, but it's a pretty powerful ability since it gives you another you as a meatshield who has the same offensive capabilities and equipment as your character. (You can always change the requirements yourself if you don't agree with my balancing.)

I finally finished doing the installer I was planning that will automatically install the Tweaked Combat AI I did and adapt it to use High Level Force Powers to make it more like a Mod.

It will, among many other minor and major changes, make your party members (or any other NPC for that matter) use any of the powers from the High Level Force Powers mod, that they know, in combat. It will also give the major force using potential opponents (The Sith Lords, Atris, the Jedi Masters) a set of High Level powers they may use in combat (unless you kill them too quickly). :)

As far as I can tell the installation works as intended, but like with anything I do use it at your own risk as there are probably bugs and things I've overlooked. It can be downloaded from here for now.

If I remember correctly nothing major has changed in the AI itself compared to the tweak I posted earlier in this thread, it's just been packaged so the scripts automatically get compiled with the correct Spells data for the HLFP mod, saving you the need to manually have to recompile the scripts.

(At least so long as you aren't already using a mod that modifies the k_ai_master.ncs script. Then you'll still have to manually merge them, or choose what mod you like the most.)

Haven't tried the latest version yet, because I was too busy trying to handle problems with another mod, but I did try the second one, and I loved it. Combined with another mod that increases the number of Force powers gained at level up, I turned my most recent characters into walking arsenals. Loved them all, especially Force Strike. Grip, Incinerate and Freeze were some of the powers I used just for the heck of it, and along with Hurricane, they humiliated a lot of Sith. Drain Life Force is also an interesting choice. When I was feeling evil, I finished off some enemies by using it until their maximum hp dropped to lethal levels. Even my Guardian/Weapon Master character had a truckload of Force Points near the end of the game, so it's Chain Lightning away!

• 2 weeks later...

hey, im trying to install and use Stoffe's High level force powers v2.0 (and v2.1) mods, but the installer wont install. it gives me an error saying "cannot create file "E:\programs\kotor2\dialog.tlk.

it does this on the first step of installation, when it is attempting to "append strings to TLK file."

anybody have any ideas?

thanks

~djacuan~

• 3 weeks later...

I have a lot of favorite mods for both 1&2, but this one gets top honors. I LOVE IT!!! Goes great with Beancounter's Hardcore, Achilles' Game Balance, Prime's Dark Jedi Conversion, and Shem's Sith Assassins with Lightsabers. With the HCM cranked, this mod is the difference between

life and death. Thank you, Stoffe!

The easy install is a real bonus.

hey, im trying to install and use Stoffe's High level force powers v2.0 (and v2.1) mods, but the installer wont install. it gives me an error saying "cannot create file "E:\programs\kotor2\dialog.tlk.

it does this on the first step of installation, when it is attempting to "append strings to TLK file."

Sorry about the late reply, must have missed your post earlier when it was posted. Anyway, make sure the dialog.tlk file located in your game folder isn't write protected. Also make sure you have no other application (the game itself or some modding utility) open that accesses this file.

Also, if you aren't using an account with Administrator privilegies on your computer, make sure you have the permissions set to allow you to modify files in the KotOR2 game folder and subfolders.

• 1 month later...

Stoffe utilized a newer form of .zip file called .rar ;) It compresses better than normal zip.

Just do a google for WinRar and it's afree zip program much like WinZip and will open your new rar file toot sweet ;)

Hope that helps a bit,

:ben:

General Kenobi

EDIT: WELCOME TO THE FORUMS :waive1:

hey stoffe every time i try using your program to install a mod it says, • Error: Error! Invalid game folder specified! (GEN-6), do you know why?

Edit: never mind i fixed the problem

Stoffe states you must point to a specific folder if Remember correctlyand if you don't that's the error you'd get for the wrong one. ;)

If I'm wrong Stoffe or someone will correct me but I believe that's it.

Hope that helps a bit,

:ben:

General Kenobi

Archived