Home

Who Likes Anime?

Aash Li

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*went swimming, got geek cap wet, geek cap shrunk, tries on geek cap, fails miserably*:D

Could one of you nice people explain exactly what they are and the differences between them:confused:

I went straight from bugs bunny and batman to ESPN, so I don't know too much about this stuff.

But it sounds interesting, so do you offer a beginners suggestion packet?:D

(not joking, actually seriously interested):)

Anime is from Asia - most generally from Japan.

Cartoons are from the US, the US doesnt make anime.

What does anime mean, its just animation. There the similarities end.

Anime usually has a lot more content to it than western cartoons. This is because its used more widely than live action shows (from what Ive seen). Anime is used to sell stuff like the West uses sex(y women) to sell stuff. And not all anime if for kids, the majority of what Ive watched would make kids ask awkward questions (and not necessarily about sex).

When you think of cartoons BuggsBunny and Batman usually come to mind and GI Joe and Transformers, though the latter is actually imported anime. ^_^

When you go out searching for anime, dont judge the rest of it by whatever slop Cartoon Network is pushing off on us - like DBZ and One Piece.

And if youre going to be going back to dialup, I would suggest downloading fan-translated manga (not the lisenced stuff), which is always broken up into chapters that are easily handled on dialup.

^_^ Hope that helps.

Jedigoku, you could always stop posting on that other thread. I didnt even know it existed until you complained about this one, and it wasnt even at the top of the list time you or whoever posted on it again. :p

Yeah, what Prime said. Just check out any of the above anime (except for DBZ).

Some anime you can find on the net, animesuki is a good place for the non-lisenced stuff (they dont put up link to lisenced stuff).

Try the movies first: Anything by Hayao Miyazaki (spirited away, howls moving castle., princess mononoke). Ghost in the Shell... or you could turn on cartoon network at 11pm on saturdays.. they have alot of good anime on at that time.

Thanks, I guess I'll try the saturday night thing, but my favorite music video show comes on at 12am and we are supposed to be moving this weekend, so like everything I touch, that will probably be delayed for a litle while:D

Renting movies is insane around here, the only places where it's cheaper than going to the theater usually don't have much:D

Well, I don't care for anime. (As a result, I am not too terribly popular with many of the students in my art classes). Mainly because it has never really evolved. The only anime that I have ever liked came out in the late 70's - early 80's. Titles like Battle of the Planets and, my all-time favorite, Starblazers. They are what I believe to be the best that anime has to offer. Everything that has come out from the Japanese animators since then has been nothing but rehash of the same drawing style. Sure, they spiced it up with computer graphics, but if you look at the characters themselves, they are virtually the same. Every time that I see a tall and slender female, I see Nova (from Starblazers). Whenever I see a heroic, but average sized male, I see Wildstar (also Starblazers). I just think they need to move on and come up with something more original in the art of character development.

Just my 2 cents.

MdK

Originally posted by Aash Li

Jedigoku, you could always stop posting on that other thread. I didnt even know it existed until you complained about this one, and it wasnt even at the top of the list time you or whoever posted on it again. :p

Yeah, what Prime said. Just check out any of the above anime (except for DBZ).

I didn't post in it someone else did and redhalke said it first:xp:

Originally posted by MdKnightR

Everything that has come out from the Japanese animators since then has been nothing but rehash of the same drawing style. Sure, they spiced it up with computer graphics, but if you look at the characters themselves, they are virtually the same. Every time that I see a tall and slender female, I see Nova (from Starblazers). Whenever I see a heroic, but average sized male, I see Wildstar (also Starblazers). I just think they need to move on and come up with something more original in the art of character development.

Just my 2 cents.

MdK [/b]

Thats like saying all Asians look the same. Theres several different drawing styles, and even the ones that are similar have great diferences. Korean art looks alot more realistic the Japanese, not sure what Chinese anime/manga looks like if they have any...

I curious to know what series you have looked at to have come to these conclusions. Sure there are some similarities, especially in how faces are drawn, big eyes, small faces, tiny mouths and the like.

American comics and their cartoon version do however look basically all the same in the character department... they all seem to take their cues from Stan Lee, which is no big suprise really since he was a huge influence on american comic makers. But if you look at Hannah Barbarian cartoons every single one of them looked the same in basic design. They never changed their clothes, never did anything with their hair... nothing.

So you should if anything, check out other anime, and give it an actual chance. ^_^

Originally posted by Aash Li

Thats like saying all Asians look the same. Theres several different drawing styles, and even the ones that are similar have great diferences. Korean art looks alot more realistic the Japanese, not sure what Chinese anime/manga looks like if they have any...

I curious to know what series you have looked at to have come to these conclusions. Sure there are some similarities, especially in how faces are drawn, big eyes, small faces, tiny mouths and the like.

American comics and their cartoon version do however look basically all the same in the character department... they all seem to take their cues from Stan Lee, which is no big suprise really since he was a huge influence on american comic makers. But if you look at Hannah Barbarian cartoons every single one of them looked the same in basic design. They never changed their clothes, never did anything with their hair... nothing.

So you should if anything, check out other anime, and give it an actual chance. ^_^

I resent the statement that my opinion on Anime is in any way reflective of the racist comment "all Asians look the same." I simply meant that most (probably not all) anime that I have been exposed to has a very obvious formula and pattern to the drawing technique. You said yourself, "Sure there are some similarities, especially in how faces are drawn, big eyes, small faces, tiny mouths and the like" which is what I was referring to in my previous post when I talked about artistic character development. I am sure there are plenty of Asian artists who know how to draw differently.

Let me tell you a brief story. One of my former students who has stayed in touch since graduation is a huge fan of Anime. She has a large collection of DVD's that, according to her, are very rarely found in the USA. Many of them don't even have English dubbed voiceovers. After having seen a few of them, I still think it is highly unoriginal.

Hanna-Barbara cartoons are the same way, except for the fact that most of their famous titles that are still run endlessly today are from the 60's. Scooby Doo looked the same from its premier in 69 all the way through the late 80s. But the most recent incarnations look quite a bit different.

As for Stan Lee, I think it is a broadly inaccurate assumption that American cartoonists all take their cues from him. Stan Lee's original style of drawing is quite static. A far cry from the art of Todd McFarlane, Frank Miller, and Bill Sienkiewicz (another link for Bill).

All of these comparisons bring me back to what I think we are missing. Anime is a word that is derived from 2 words - Japanese and Animation. Dictionary.com defines it as "A style of animation developed in Japan, characterized by stylized colorful art, futuristic settings, violence, and sex" and "a style of cartoon or animation made in Japan that focuses on futuristic themes and robotlike characters; also called anime." For a while it was called Japanimation. Therefore it has become known as inherently Japanese. It is what the world thinks of when "Japan" and "cartoons" are mentioned in the same sentence. But if you mention American cartoons, there is such a variety that there is no one American way to cartoon. Sure, one could say that most Marvel Comics look alike, or most Hanna-Barbara cartoons look alike, or most episodes of the Simpsons look alike, but the fact of the matter is that when you compare them to each other, there is quite a difference. I can't say the same thing about Japanese cartoons. If there is a style of Japanese cartooning other than Anime, I don't know about it. And the reason that I don't know about it probably has something to do with the fact that Anime has become a monopoly and drowned out the more serious Asian cartoonists.

Another 2 cents. So 2 + 2 = 4 cents I guess.

MdK

^^^^^

I hate racist comments

second yes most anime is similar in appearance but to generalize all anime in to one group is IMPOSSIBLE since the variety of the actual TV rateings they range from G rated to X rated so NOT all anime is the same and if there wasn't some violence or some other thing it would be like watching an animated soap opera *shutters*ack:mad: and granted most are set in a futuristic time frames but keep in mind that most of the disigns from the matrix came from anime and manga:p there are anime that is set in modern time IE yu yu hakusho, or ancient times IE rurouni kenshin or samuri X. so you can't judge all anime by the ones you have already seen

And I wasnt saying that what you said was reflectiive of that, but it amounts to the same thing (and Im *not* implying you are racist!!). You said so yourself that you havent been exposed to much anime, so youre lumping all anime into the same category of it all looks the same because of what you have seen (or atleast thats how it sounds to me). Its not any different than the opinion I had of anime in general when i was a teenager due to my cousin's obsession with Ranma 1/2 (ugh). At the time I thought all anime sucked because I was sick of watching the junk he liked. But then I got into it because of Cartoon Network and was like, ok not all anime sucks, and now I think only certain anime sucks. ^_^

I apologize for the misunderstanding though, it wasnt intentional.

Not all comic artists have the same style as Stan Lee, but they are similar. If you compare the faces and body styles (objectively), you will note that they are all very detailed and go for an almost realistic, but still cartoony (I dont mean that derogatorily), all the guys are usually drawn with muscular bodies, and all the women are drawn with largeish breasts and curvey bodies - and by all I mean all the main characters, especially in super-hero type comics.

Anime is anime. If you go to Japan they will call anything animated anime, because that is their word for it. Just like alot of people here in the west call anything animated a cartoon no matter what country it comes from.

Not every series is set in the future, not every series has loads of violence, or revolves around robots or sex either. I can name several anime and manga that have none of those qualities but are just as good, well except for violence, though the type of violence in those shows are more akin to stuff like Buggs Bunny - comical violence, not warfare and atomic blasts and blood and guts type violence.

Again, if you take offence to anything I said, I mostly likely didnt mean it that, way, sorry. ^_^;

The drawing technique is similar BUT you are missing the whole point of Anime which purely focuses on storytelling rather then artistic development.

In Japan, anime is the same as live action shows or movies here.

I don't see nobody whining that the same actor plays 20 different roles in various movies and TV shows.

I find quite odd that dictionary.com would put such an innaccurate definition of what anime is.

I personnally love anime, but that doesn't mean I hate western animation.

Look, in all my life, I haven't heard a single anime fan saying that western animation sucks or that he hates western animation. But when it comes to western cartoon fans, its always:" Anime sucks because of "insert reason A" and ...."

It gets annoying.

you yup I get annoyed by that too but what there is something that almost made me cry when someones used the power puff girl and dragonballz in the same sentence:eek: I've found that most people who say anime sux have NEVER seen it i mean WFT they are judging something they have never seen:mad:

Archived