Home

Learning the ways of the force [WIP]

Darth333

Yes, it will use the installer. The mod should be compatible with other mods. When npcs/placeables have to be spawned in an original game module, I use scripts and I try to plant them in locations that are not normally used by other modders. Area transitions shouldn't pose any problem either: when travelling from an existing module, the transition script is attached to a custom invisible plabeable. I try to make it as little "intrusive" as possible and I will not repack existing modules.

That is what I have to do in four locations. Do you think you mod will work with repacked modules?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cool! I only added and slightly edited some items. Is there anything that you have added to the 'Journal Entries', which I can make mine compatible with this one?

If you only added some items and modified existing items, there shouldn't be any necessity to repack the entire module. For the journal entries, I'll be using the patcher or a datapad of my own ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I'm working on it but at a very slow pace these times as I am quite busy with work, house stuff, etc...

Edit: btw, instead of using global.jrl and adding journal entries, I was thinking of making a custom datapad that would provide you with the quest information for this mod. It's a simple issue of mod compatibility. I don't know if people would find having to consult a datapad annoying or useful...What do you think?

I've always been a big fan of the journal myself. I love how handy it is where each step within a quest can change the entry so you can quickly see where you've made some progress and then when you finish a given quest line it goes into the big completed pile.

That said however, if a quest was contained within a datapad and still provided all the needed information I'd think that'd be an excellent alternative. Being that the last time I did any modding we couldn't even do 20% of what's been sorted out now I'm sorta stabbing in the dark here, but it would seem to me that keeping the DL smaller, not having to worry about cross mod compatability issues, and a few other various benefits would far overshadow the potential minor annoyance of having to look for a datapad to see the quest info. Especially assuming it's flagged as a quest item so it's easy to find in the lists.

Just my typically verbose two cents anyways ;)

-Kitty

Yes, I'm working on it but at a very slow pace these times as I am quite busy with work, house stuff, etc...

Edit: btw, instead of using global.jrl and adding journal entries, I was thinking of making a custom datapad that would provide you with the quest information for this mod. It's a simple issue of mod compatibility. I don't know if people would find having to consult a datapad annoying or useful...What do you think?

Cool! I am using extensive Journal Entries. This will prevent some of those compatibility issues. :)

You mentioned that you are working on this mod in a slow and steady pace. Don't think twice about your pace. Some of the greatest mods created come from long hours, patience, and extensive testing. Take it from someone who had to revise his own work, for I felt I was just out of time. :)

Your work has allways been of exceptional quality, and you have helped so many others with their mod. Take your time and 'Be Well'. :)

instead of using global.jrl and adding journal entries, I was thinking of making a custom datapad that would provide you with the quest information for this mod. It's a simple issue of mod compatibility. I don't know if people would find having to consult a datapad annoying or useful...What do you think?

It can take a bit of work to keep track of datapads in your inventory since you usually end up with lots of them. Not naming them all "Datapad" like Bioware/Obsidian seems to prefer would probably help with that though :)

Personally I prefer the journal for quest-related things since that's how quests are handled in the rest of the game. It might stand out a bit to be introduced to a second quest-tracking system briefly all of a sudden. Or it could be combined, so that reading the datapads add new journal entries. :)

As for compatibility issues, if you are already using TSLPatcher for other things you could use it to insert new entries into global.jrl (in the players' override folder) instead of overwriting the file. That should help with some of the compatibility problems at least.

Datapads are opened to read when you pick-up but not when are recived from another npc. However, I think using datapads is best and safe way to control storyline. Maybe I'm wrong but I think game engine skip some scripts to keep a decent frame rate (once I was get 2 handmaidens on Dantooine after jedi masters dead).

Edit: It's not my place to make suggestion but I really want to play this mod. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived