Home

Star Wars vs. Star Trek: THE MOD!

Kurgan

Well, what do you think?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Well, what do you think?

• Great idea!
    • Crappy idea!

Please, please tell me somebody is interested in doing this!

Just imagine, the ultimate battle of franchises! The mighty Galactic Empire vs. all of the fleets of Star Trek, in a battle to the death!

Imagine commanding a small but elite Imperial Expeditionary Force into the Milky Way Galaxy, hopping from planet to planet invading this mysterious "Federation." Fight the Klingons, the Romulans, Cardassians, the Dominion, the Borg! Since the Empire has hyperdrive they could even explore the far reaches of Trek space, and encounter the Hirogen, the Voth, and Species 8472!

Maybe an alternative scenario with the more war-like "Mirror Universe" of trek, with the Terran Empire (the evil version of the Federation). Then you could combine tech from the various factions and give them new weapons and things.

Or perhaps another scenario, you're an Alpha Quadrant alliance force making a desperate manuver against the Empire's elite scout ship. Destroy them and steal their technology! (imagine a Trek version of the assault on the Death Star or the first encounter with the Borg) Maybe something can be learned about this new enemy before it's too late.

It'd be a lot of work, and you'd probably have to make up crap to fill in some of the gaps (Star Trek is pretty skimpy on ground units), but I think it would be worth it, if the right modding tools are released for this game (and it doesn't suck!).

If only I had the time... but feel free to steal my idea! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think it would be a good idea...however the Star Wars physical weapons will pass right through the defenseive weapons of the Star Trek Universe and the energy weapons of Star Trek will bounce off the shields of the Star Destroyers. I play ST games and their shields are designed to protect from energy only weapons. There are no physical (i.e. Proton Torpedo) in Star Trek.

• 4 weeks later...

There are conventional weapons in ST, but they have become quickly superseeded by Quantum, Energy, Phase and Temporal weapons. Melee combat would be great - Klingons with Bat'Leths and various other things, like from Klingon Honour Guard (old, pretty crap pre Elite Force game). Ground units could be built-upon those ideas from Star Trek New Worlds, a seriously failed ground-based late-TOS era RTS. Space combat would be a bit unmatched in some areas - Victory Star Destroyer would only be able to be taken down by the Kremin Timeship, the Wells Class Timeship, or a combined Borg Tactical Fusion Cube, Prometheus, Soulwolf, D'derex, Akira, Defiant, Qo'Nos class armada (think Borg Incursion from ST:Armada 2 ;)). Then you get the problem of the Force vs Telepaths/Telekinetics (Betazoids, and the Telekinetics I think were those strange people from TOS) and the Prophets/Pah'Wraiths (DS9) - and lightsabers vs Bat'Leths. :) Just throwing a few ideas into the pan.

I personally think that ST vs SW has been done to death a bit, especially in the ST gaming circuit. There have been many great ST vs SW TCs, but to have another one would require an immensly dedicated team from before EAW was released. (And as already pointed out, we don't know the modding capabilities yet, but my hope is that they will be great because of the C&C background most of the developing studio has).

I hope I didn't sound to idea flattening...

Condor out.

Star Wars vs Star trek would be good but you need to define a few things like the time frame.

Me personally I think the Movie era star trek would be better, their more military in their design and planning. I know DS9 had a huge war but the federation was not even close to ready for it. They cought a bunch of huge breaks in that war. Kirks age was ready for a fight on two fronts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hmmm.. I still have alot of resources in this area... and a group of people scattered around the world who'de be willing to take a project like this on.

This might be fun in a new game engine.... I'll check and see if anyone from the old STvsSW team for ST:Armada is interested and wants to take it on.

• 4 weeks later...
For the purposes of a mod, there's no reason they just can't make Wars/Trek roughly on equal footing to each other for the sake of gameplay.

The minute this is done, it takes away one of the base premises of a mod. The ability to put units into a game without having to worry about sacrificing "realism" for "balance" is something modders can do but companies can not, or will not.

Archived