Home

My Movie Night...

Aash Li

I see, Kung Fu Hustle as a hong kong movie run through the americanisation process, made for a broad international audience. If you see Kung Fu Hustle as "a movie", then I understand why my accusations seem baseless to you.

In order for me to get my point across I must break down hong kong moviemaking, from script to acting, directing, scoring, pacing, shooting, wireworks, camera movement, post processing and special effects additions. Then I must do the same thing for american movies, to show that there is, quite a difference and what that difference is. But it seems as an exercise in futilty right now.

This is my opinion and I'd appreciate if it is respected as such.

Except your opinion is wrong, and I'm going to debate it. Kung Fu Hustle went through the same process every other Stephen Chow film went through.

I never wrote that batman begins as a sequel is continuing the already established story. You just assumed that through my use of the word "sequel". I presumed, that through context of my wording I was pretty clear, that I meant the movie continued an already established (in the mind of the audience) hero-character.

Use the correct wording then. It's not a sequel. It doesn't even acknowledge the presence of the previous movies. They laid down all the character groundwork themselves. Just because you're ignorant do not assume others are.

Nevertheless, my point was: batman begins already had several movies before it, that established the character to the audience.

See above.

Well, Road to Perdition is based on Lone Wolf and Cub and I wouldn't say that movie does justice to its comic... manga... whatever.

Road to Perdition is it's own comic.

In the end it seems you let your ignorance get the best of you.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know I rented Constantine last month with mediocre expectations and was quite surprised at how much I liked it. I even watched it a second time with commentary turned on and enjoyed it all over again. I never read the comics so my predisposition was just based on Keanu Reeves and the trailers.

I honestly think Alien Vs. Predator is a pretty good movie, I only say this because im a fanatic of the Yautjan race [Predators]. Although, there were TOO many plotholes and stupid things in the movie I still like it anyway, but the best movie IMHO would be Coach Carter. Even if you don't like hoops it's still a great movie to see..

Kung Fu Hustle went through the same process every other Stephen Chow film went through.

No.

They laid down all the character groundwork themselves. Just because you're ignorant do not assume others are.

The character groundwork was done in the 4 films that came before it. Everyone knew who Bruce Wayne was and what batman does when they walked in to see Batman Begins. Just because you're too narrowminded to accept that, do not assume others are.

Road to Perdition is it's own comic.

Based on...? Hmm... could it be Lone Wolf and Cub I wonder? Probably only my ignorance again. Yeah.

Despite his inability to actually speak intelligibly, I thought he did a fairly good job in the movie too. Now to go find a Japanese dub of the movie! lol...

heh...You'll have to let us know if the Japanese dubbed Keneau is any more understandable than the real thing... :D

No.

Yes.

The character groundwork was done in the 4 films that came before it. Everyone knew who Bruce Wayne was and what batman does when they walked in to see Batman Begins. Just because you're too narrowminded to accept that, do not assume others are.

But they didn't have the story and character development that Begins did. And none of that even matters, as that wasn't even what the discussion was about.

Batman Begins wasn't a disgrace to the comics because it actually followed the comics that inspired it's story, and it didn't fall into some self-parodying crapfest like the Schumacher films.

Based on...? Hmm... could it be Lone Wolf and Cub I wonder?

Does it matter what it's based on? You're the only person talking about that.

MOD: Could we have this thread split please? The arguement and the discussion of the three movies. :) Please, thanks.

We are discussing the movies.

@Ashley, I'm pretty sure the guy from the new one was also in Galaxy Quest, if you haven't seen it it's pretty good, he's "almost" as depressed there:D

*grabs a bag of popcorn, orders a pizza, and cracks open a can of mountain dew, while kicking back in comfy chair to watch Montoir vs IS vs Godzilla vs whoever else* :D

While I don't know to much about it, Montnoir's statements make more sense,

but AGREE TO DISAGREE, I see a flame war brewing :(

RJM: Yes I believe Snape was in Galaxy Quest as well, I loved that movie! :)

Seems more like youre arguing about the wether or not KFH was made to appeal to the westerners or not... and not really discussing the movie. But whatever.

My 2 cents, then I think Im gonna label the thread abandon-ware and you can "discuss" all you want. :p

If KFH was intended to appeal to english speaking or westerners more than asians, then they would have made the movie elsewhere. It wouldnt have been set in a totally chinese setting (note the absence of any white people). It wouldnt have been released with a chinese audio track only, and would have been released with audio in english (the movie I mean, not the DVD - which has Spanish and French as well as English). There would have been a hell of a lot more jokes in there that white people would get more readily. There would have been white people in the movie... remember the Kung Fu movies/series from the 80s/70s with David Carradine? He wasnt even part asian, but he played an asian... if they were trying to do a satire that appealed largely to white people they would have done something like that (a la Kung Pow).

Do I doubt that they intended to market the movie to westerners? No. Do I doubt that they made the movie to rake in all the foriegn money that the westerners would spend to see the movie? Yes. If you show me a transpcript of an interview with the director, producer, or the script writer, where they admit this, then I will concede to you. ;)

And with that, Im leaving the thread, have fun! :)

lol. 1980, I was 7, we didnt have BBC tv back then (Im in the US). So I should be excused for not seeing the series... and I didnt know there was a tv show until recently. You should have said the original or tv marvin, and I would have known you werent talking about the alan rickman-marvin. ;)

GOOD! There's someone older than me around here ! I was 5 in 1980, and remember watching the series and loving Marvin because I understood his humour more than anything else :) That was also the year I first saw SW ANH....twas a good year...

*cries nostalgically*

Sithy and MontNoir, let me quote Grand Moff Wilhuf Tarkin,

"This bickering is pointless...."

So what, MNoir has some facts mixed up, Im sure we've all had things mixed up before. This is Aash's fun thread, have fun dammit !!!

mtfbwya

I'm having fun correcting mistakes, making sure people don't go around giving misinformation. I value education, facts, etc. ;)
hmm, that reminds me of a great quote from one of my t-shirts:
People that think they know everything annoy those of us that do.
and as personal request: please quit the bickering. its quite annoying. :dozey:

I have returned!! lol.

I know I said I was leaving the thread, but only because of the bickering, as it seems to have stopped now...

Bickering is when a debate goes from healthy discussion of a topic to "Yes it is because I say so!" and "No it isnt because IM right and YOURE wrong!" Which is basically what was happening. Now if we could all just mature a little? :p (j/k)

I explained my 2 cents on why KFH wasnt a made-for-westerners... but anyway, enouh on that... how about this:

Who wants to see the following movies:

Exorcism of Emily Rose

Serenity

Corpse Bride

I want to see Emily Rose, but Im NOT going alone! lol. I still cant watch the Exorcist and not get creeped out, so theres no way Im seeing that one alone. lol

Serenity is the movie version of Firefly, the awesome scifi western-ish series that the idiots at Fox cancelled.

Corpse Bride is another great stop-motion-animation movie by Tim Burton - the guy who did Nightmare Before Christmas. <3

Cool, movies are back on the agenda.... Am I the only person over 12 that is interested in seeing "The Lion The Witch & The Wardrobe" ?? I loved the Narnia books, but apart from seeing the trailer dont really know much about what Disney are doing to this beloved series... I hope they do it justice

mtfbwya

oooooooh!! I loved that series! Even if it was a christian oriented book. ;) Yeah, but seeing that Disney is doing the movie, they will probly fail at doing the movie correctly. Id have more faith if Pixar was doing it... but Disney has a horrible track record. But still, Id probly go see it. :)

Archived