Home

My Movie Night...

Aash Li

So the other day I rented 3 movies... Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, Constantine, and Kung Fu Hustle. I loved all 3.

Keneau Reeves actually looked badass in the movie instead of typically sucking, but he still didnt act. he mumbled for about 2 hours >_>

Kung Fu Hustle was just hilarious, I love a good satire, Stephen Chow has a warped sense of humour. ;) And I absolutely loved that phatom-blade zither/mandolin/harp thingy!

Hitch Hikers Guide had me rolling (almost literally). The whole thing was just cracked and demented. Loved it.

Discuss! hehe

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll say this first, I hated constantine, period.

Hitchhiker, had me doing my trademark snorting breathe in instead of out freaky laugh thing, that not many movie goers appreciated, quite excellent.

Kung Fu Hustle was more serious than I thought it would be, but it was great as well, if you haven't seen them already,

Kung Pow, and Kung Phooey are actually a little better, in that you'll probably roll a few feet farther when you do the whole ROFL deal.

After reading the wiki site about Flying Spagetti Monsterism, and having just watch Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, I have decided to create my own religion based on Frankie and Benjy (the two mice). :)

It will be called Mouseism!

Frankie and Benjy are hyperintelligent pan-dimensional beings, they paid the Magratheans to build the earth so that it could compute the Ultimate Question to the answer of "42".

The whole squeaking and cheese thing is just a front.

Now to figure out the tenets of the "religion"... and find converts... hehe.

Kung Pow was "stupid" humour (still liked it though), as opposed to the more subtle humour and puns like in Kung fu Hustle. Kung Phooey was hilarious as well.

Aww, I'm sorry Ashley, I just moved in and have (inadvertantly of course)

Annihilated 4 of your GODS, they don't seem to have the Ultimate Power required to combat the torque of a better mousetrap,

again, I'm sorry...

do we have to go to war or something?

if so I'll go with a standing army, that way I'll save money on chairs!

I really want to see Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I will have to rent it this week. I was told about the book years ago, but I never read it. I think it is part of a trilogy, because I seem to remember the name of another book in the series called "Truck Stop on the Edge of the Universe" or something like that.

As for Constantine, I loved it! Kinda reminded me of John Carpenter's Vampires. Despite what anyone says, I like Keanu Reeves. Sure, his delivery is a bit dry at times, but he sure lands the great roles! At one time, there was a class at a drama school in California called "The Films of Keanu Reeves." I don't know if they still have it, but you must admit that you are a success if someone dedicates a college class to studying what you do.

Are you sure, I didn't realize it for a few days, and I'm pretty sure I smelled their transdimensional selves as well, took a whole febreeze to get it out of my desk, THAT'S IT, WITH MY INFERIOR BRAIN I HAVE DEDUCED THAT FEBREEZE IS THE ULTIMATE INTERDIMENSIONAL TRAVEL AGENT, when applied with the proper towel of course, THE MICE HAVE BEEN HIDING IT FOR CENTURIES!!!

I just inhaled some, AND IT WORKS!!! THIS DIMENSION IS SO FREAKIN AWESOME, THERE ARE MICE FLYING EVERYWHERE, Sooooooooooo trippy....

To prove I've been there and back, I've brought you a souvenier Juicer helmet!

What, yes it's supposed to be made of aluminum foil...

@MD, bill and ted RUUUULE!!!

http://hhgproject.org/index.html

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Restuarant at the End of the Universe

So Long And Thanks For All the Fish

Life the Universe and Everything

Mostly Harmless

Its actually a "trilogy in 5 parts" lol

Other ridiculous books by Douglas Addams:

The long dark tea time of the soul

Dirk Gentlys holistic detective agency

The salmon of doubt

The meaning of Liff

Deeper meaning of Liff

last chance to see

lol capitalization.

Best movie to come out of Asia in a looonnnng time.

If you by this mean "best movie made to please the western audience taste, out of asia" then I would agree with you.

Constantine was **** and a disgrace to the Hellblazers comic.

Name a comicbook movie that wasn't a disgrace to its comicbook? Well, probably Fantastic 4, but that comicbook was a disgrace to comicbooks so the movie just capitalized on that and brought disgrace to the screens.

If you by this mean "best movie made to please the western audience taste, out of asia" then I would agree with you.

... Considering it was a huge hit in Asia well before it even made it's way to the west, I think that statement is a bit misguided.

Name a comicbook movie that wasn't a disgrace to its comicbook?

Batman Begins.

Edit: Road to Perdition as well.

... Considering it was a huge hit in Asia well before it even made it's way to the west, I think that statement is a bit misguided.

It was made as a western export. Thus, my statement stands and is unchanged by the fact that it made a buck in asia too.

Batman Begins
Batman Begins is not: "Let's take a cool comicbook and make it into a live-action movie". It's: "We have an established comicbook character with a couple of established movies behind him, now let's make a sequel in a new way".

Edit: Road to Perdition as well.

Comparing "Lone Wolf and Cub" with "Road to Perdition" is a disgrace by itself.

http://hhgproject.org/index.html

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Restuarant at the End of the Universe

So Long And Thanks For All the Fish

Life the Universe and Everything

Mostly Harmless

Its actually a "trilogy in 5 parts" lol

hey, nice link Aash. I love HHGG. The new movie was cool IMO. I loved the 1980 BBC series as well, Marvin the Robot/Paranoid Android in the old series is just absolutely awesome.....it was nice to see him make a cameo in the new film :)

As much I as am weary of superhero movies, Batman Begins was cool, but mostly because I kept thinking Bruce Wayne was Patrick Bateman(especially that scene at the party..hehehe) :D

mtfbwya

It was made as a western export. Thus, my statement stands and is unchanged by the fact that it made a buck in asia too.

Not really, it was made as a film to be enjoyed by all. Your baseless accusations aren't welcome in mature discussion.

Batman Begins is not: "Let's take a cool comicbook and make it into a live-action movie". It's: "We have an established comicbook character with a couple of established movies behind him, now let's make a sequel in a new way".

...Did you even see the film? It's not a sequel. It's erasing the existence of the past films and doing the story correctly. I suggest you not talk out of your ass and actually know what you speak of.

Just a friendly suggestion.

Comparing "Lone Wolf and Cub" with "Road to Perdition" is a disgrace by itself.

... When did I compare Lone Wolf and Cub with Road to Perdition?

As much I as am weary of superhero movies, Batman Begins was cool, but mostly because I kept thinking Bruce Wayne was Patrick Bateman(especially that scene at the party..hehehe) :D

Heehee, I was half-expecting him to tell them "I have to go return some tapes".

I loved Marvin!! He was so funny in his morbidly-depressed manner! lol And Eric Idle (I think that was him), was pretty cool too, and if its not him, he did a great job! But I think calling it a cameo appearance is a bit like calling the 5 books of the series a trilogy lol.

And you two need to stop arguing! In my thread no less! If anyones gonna be arguing its me! lmao :p:D

Not really, it was made as a film to be enjoyed by all. Your baseless accusations aren't welcome in mature discussion.

I see, Kung Fu Hustle as a hong kong movie run through the americanisation process, made for a broad international audience. If you see Kung Fu Hustle as "a movie", then I understand why my accusations seem baseless to you.

In order for me to get my point across I must break down hong kong moviemaking, from script to acting, directing, scoring, pacing, shooting, wireworks, camera movement, post processing and special effects additions. Then I must do the same thing for american movies, to show that there is, quite a difference and what that difference is. But it seems as an exercise in futilty right now.

This is my opinion and I'd appreciate if it is respected as such.

...Did you even see the film[batman Begins]? It's not a sequel. It's erasing the existence of the past films and doing the story correctly. I suggest you not talk out of your ass and actually know what you speak of.

I never wrote that batman begins as a sequel is continuing the already established story. You just assumed that through my use of the word "sequel". I presumed, that through context of my wording I was pretty clear, that I meant the movie continued an already established (in the mind of the audience) hero-character.

Nevertheless, my point was: batman begins already had several movies before it, that established the character to the audience. Thus the makers could afford to ignore some bits and push the envelope in a different manner from other comicbook movies. Movies like: League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Hellboy, The Shadow or even Sin City. They are based on more adult-oriented comics, but in the transition to the screen they got softer and more mainstreamed (yes, even Sin City although it is the most succesful transition) in their first movie - but when they get to movie #5 (as batman begins) then it is quite possible that the makers can afford pushing the envelope differently than in movie #1.

... When did I compare Lone Wolf and Cub with Road to Perdition?

Well, Road to Perdition is based on Lone Wolf and Cub and I wouldn't say that movie does justice to its comic... manga... whatever.

I loved Marvin!! He was so funny in his morbidly-depressed manner! lol And Eric Idle (I think that was him), was pretty cool too, and if its not him, he did a great job! But I think calling it a cameo appearance is a bit like calling the 5 books of the series a trilogy lol.

hehe, I think I mistook you for a crazed HHGG fan :p

The Marvin that was in the original 1980 BBC TV series looked like this:

marvin1.jpg

He made a cameo in the recent movie. He was in the queue in the Vogon building when they had to fill those forms to release Trillian. If you still have the DVD, check it out, Arthur even gives him a strange look, this was quite deliberate and a nod to fans of the old series :)

Yes it was Alan Rickman that did the voice in the movie, but if you can gets your hands on the old series or radio drama, you'll hear that Marvin sound infinitely more depressed !!!!

mtfbwya

lol. 1980, I was 7, we didnt have BBC tv back then (Im in the US). So I should be excused for not seeing the series... and I didnt know there was a tv show until recently. You should have said the original or tv marvin, and I would have known you werent talking about the alan rickman-marvin. ;)

Im 50% crazed Hitchhiker fan. If I was able to go see the movie in the theaters I would have taken a towel with me, but I didnt have the money, so I just watched the movie on dvd with a towel. :D hehe.

Archived