Home

Star Wars: Knowing too much takes away from the fun?

The Source

Star Wars: Knowing too much takes away from the fun?

Like every genra, there is a fine line between fun and knowing too much. Do you believe that knowing too much about Star Wars takes away from the fun? Otherwords, do people become so stricked to the rules and laws that book writters create that it spoils the imagination?

From my experience with Star Wars my imagination has been spoiled by other people telling me, "Hey that can't happen, for it is not cannon!" This brings up another question: Do you believe that people follow cannon too liberally that it narrows their vision of the future? Otherwords, the possibilities of twists and turns?

I think that some cannon is necessary just so people don't go about speculating that Luke probably turned to the dark side, ate Han and remade a universe-spanning empire (and so such). It's good to have structure, but you're right to think that too much EU is a bad thing. Because it is (though prequel EU is arguably better, since it doesn't change the movies all that much).

Yeah, knowing too much can ruin the fun. Basically, if I like what I read (and I don't read much) I just pick and choose what to accept.

Yeah, I know what you mean! I usually read novels based upon Star Wars characters that don't get indepth attention in movies. For example: Boba Fett, Mara Jade, and Prince Xizor. If the original creators keep writting stories about them, then I can see the importance for their consistantsy. However, if more than one author writes about a character, I usually take the story like a side adventure.

I know Boba Fett has more stories, in novel form, than most characters. His fate was determined so many times.

Not really. There always needs something to be true, something to be untrue.

But we all know what happens when some people have a bad imagination. They put on paper and suddenly, the Yuuzhan Vong were created...the world then started a steady decline...

Yuuzhan Vong!? Are they in the 'New Jedi Order' series? I try to stay clear of that novel set! Are any of them good?

Never liked the Yuuzhan Vong... just... thought it was dumb. However, I don't mind Boba surviving the Sarlacc pit though. I also don't mind Luke heading up the Jedi Academy... and Coran Horn wasn't too bad. But some crazy stuff started happening afterwords.

Like I said, if you like it consider it to be true. If you don't, then forget it. I like to think they all just lived happily ever after...

Archived