What console will you be getting?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. What console will you be getting?

• Xbox 360
    • PS3
    • Revolution
    • I'll stick w/ the PC
    • None of the above?

What about extra hardware? Sure you might have a sweet PC right now, but when those next gen systems come out game makers are going to be pushing games further and further...
Game makers continuously push the games further and further. If you don't see that because of the particular limitations of consoles, well...

and the revolutions online service is free. Individuals may, or may not be however.
I'm already going have internet access - it won't cost any more to play online more than is already being shelled out. For people without internet, though, I guess that would be good point (no internet!? For shame!).

My only gripe about PCs is the constantly changing hardware, required to play games, and the constant crashing that occurs systems that are equivalent, or are alienware quality, or some that are better. There is always something to interfere with something else, causing a bug or crash. What do you have to worry about with consoles? The occassional disk read error... or scratched up CDs, which is usually easy to prevent.
Thing is, we're geeks. We like buying awesome graphics cards. We like having bragging rights because our PCs are so powerful. :)

On problems: I rarely have them, I've never had one that I couldn't fix fairly easily, and when it takes longer than a few minutes, it's almost as fun figuring out what the problem was as it is playing the game for the first time. I know I probably have issues, but there it is. :)

EDIT: Hmm. I think I am instigating rivalries. I shalt post no more! :D

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As for the 360 I heard that their loading times suck, which is a big minus in my opinion.

I don't notice loading times when playing the demos. As long as I don't notice them and that they aren't as frequent as HL2's or long as BF2's.

And I believe that the loading times on the PS3 will be even slower, because the reading speed is slower on the Blu-ray drive than the xbox's.

And about people who complain how the Xbox's discs are too small, no one really complained about the GC's tiny discs, "But ooooh God! Lets not let this one slip! What else can we point out is wrong with the 360?" 11crazy_smilie.gif

What about extra hardware? Sure you might have a sweet PC right now, but when those next gen systems come out game makers are going to be pushing games further and further... and the revolutions online service is free. Individuals may, or may not be however.

My only gripe about PCs is the constantly changing hardware, required to play games, and the constant crashing that occurs systems that are equivalent, or are alienware quality, or some that are better. There is always something to interfere with something else, causing a bug or crash. What do you have to worry about with consoles? The occassional disk read error... or scratched up CDs, which is usually easy to prevent.

:wstupid: Don't forget a life time's supply of mods and patches. Most remember when I first joined here, I was strictly PC, because I got sick of hearing about console wars. Although, about 3 years ago, you didn't need 2+ gigs of hard drive and these thousand dollar graphics cards to play this stuff either. Now, I just can't keep up with it. I can't see forking over thousands of dollars in upgrades each year, just because a bunch of software designers want to brag about how far they pushed the specs on the latest and greatest games.

I used to be a full time PC gamer... for years asnd years, and i only finally got a console when i picked up a 2nd hand gamecube around 2 years ago. I've since also bought a 2nd hand modded xbox.

Over the last year or two i've found that the cost and hassle of keeping a gaming pc up to date, and the growing complexity of games, along with having a full time job, life etc, and the speed and convienience of console games means I use my pc almost exclusively for internet, p2p, etc..

(Even Microsoft admit pc gaming has suffered majorly over the last few years, and a lot of that has to be the insane cost of staying on the cutting edge).

One thing I can say for sure is I won't be buying a 360 on launch. I think its far too early to tell whether it will be worth it, its price will drop hugely when the others get close to launch, and by that time it will have a decent catalogue of games.

And to be honest, i'm much happier sitting behind the cutting edge, picking up consoles and games 2nd hand, once time has told which ones are true classics and which were just hype. SO i think its very likely i'll do the same this time as last time.

The Revolution is the wild card in the pack though, its reported cheap price means that (like the GCN) its a good one to pick up as a complement to other systems, and its posibilities with the controls mean that it COULD be really different and worth getting. Even that I won't buy on launch though, as i think it will take time to see if its true genius or just a gimmick.

To be honest the 360 and ps3 right now aren't appealing much at all, the games look pretty identicl to existing games, just with slightly higher poly counts and better lighting. I'll be happy surviving with cheap xbox and gcn games for the next 6 months or so, then see.

I think the most likely console for me to buy in the next 6 months will be a ps2 to be honest. I should be able to get one dirt cheap soon, and Ico, Disgea, Rez, Shadow of the Colossus and Guitar Hero are all games i really want to try...

Interesting and fun comparisson between the Dreamcast and the 360:

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3145154&did=1

Some of us don't have all that money to keep upgrading and so on though. :dozey: They really should consider a bit of scaling on software so that games can be enjoyed on mid and lower end systems further and they can still brag how far they are taking them. Besides, they have to scale a bit for consoles and they still look just as good as it is anyways, so why not do so for PC too?
I agree that they should scale their software. Half Life 2 did a good job in that regard, I thought, and I was very happy with it.

But when I see a console port, there's often some big parts left out. For example, in Splinter Cell, and entire mission was dropped because Xbox couldn't handle it. That's the kind of scaling I most definitely do not want to see. Restricting things to the lowest common denominator is not cool; they should have it scale up when you have a more capable machine/console. I certainly wouldn't want my experience or the dev's ability limited by what amounts to outdated hardware. If they tried foisting off a straight up port of SC with the more demanding levels missing, simply because "Oh, Xbox didn't have it, why should you?" I would be most irritated.

PS3 is pointless

What do you mean? Sure all the extra formats and such are a waste of money, since at most I will use the bluray (for games) and DVD for movies (maybe, I have a DVD in my PC, with a res monitor... rather than a PS3 with a low res TV...)

Well actually, another point for the HD consoles- they can plug into your computer monitor (so can the rev) but since these support HD, and a monitor is like a HD TV, there you go. I have my 17" monitor, and I'll probably be using that rather than my 19" normal TV for gaming.

The thing about the PS3 is, I know Sony is going to continue paying companies to put their games on the PS3 exclusivly, like MGS and possibly another Soul Calibur. Next thing you know a bunch of other amazing games will be PS3 exclusive, which is why I know I will want one. I just wish they would cut the crap out of that system and fix the controller...

Personally I don't have a problem with not having the latest and greatest hardware. I don't NEED to play things at the highest possible settings. Nor am I the type of person who is constantly buying new games and has to have a new one each month, heck, I still play WarCraft III hours a day and it never gets old.

I got to bust on Nintendo for the creation of the Gameboy Micro. Why pay $20 more for a system that has all the exact same features as the SP? Nintendo did virtually nothing to promote it, and these systems are not selling at all in my store even though we have marketing for them in all the sections. Actually I STILL prefer the SP because you can fold it up to protect the screen/buttons. Nintendo bothers me with some of it's logic from time to time.

It's for people who don't have a GBA but want one but don't want to own something that looks like a toy. It sold very well in Japan, it's more of a collector's item though, there is a Famicom version about to come out in the US, and maybe a NES version as well and I'm sure collectors will go for it.

Nintendo has been pretty open about the fact that this is just an extra money grab and have said the Micro will sell for as long as anyone wants it and then after that they'll discontinue it. Like I said before, and according to Nintendo, it's really for collectors and people who want a GBA but don't want to own something that looks like a toy.

Also, the Micro's screen is protected, the faceplates have a clear plastic part on it that go over the screen.

I got to bust on Nintendo for the creation of the Gameboy Micro.

The micro isn't aimed at the kind of people who buy things i games stores, the SP is supposed to be for them. Hte Micro is aimed at being sold to people who like gadgets in gadget stores alongside ipods and other such things. In that context it should do quite well.

YOu just have to look at the mp3-player style plastic packaging to realise they are aiming it in a different direction.

:)

PC gaming USED to rock. No question. IN certain genres it still does. But PC gaming has faltered badly over the past year or two (partly because of MS not concentrating on it, partly because games stores (at least in the UK) don't sell good selections and partly because the cost of continually getting these damn $400 graphics cards is getting stupid.

I'd suspect that with the rise in the internet and broadband as the major uses for PCs, and with smallness and style becoming more important, a lot of people are going for cool looking laptops instead of monster desktops. And its much more expensive to buy laptops capable of gaming and keep them up to date.

PC games are great at deep gameplay... but are often longer term commitments, can't be played in such small (life fitting) segments and are becoming more and more of a hardcore market.

I'm halfway through Farcry (which is an excellent game) but i haven't played it in months.. I keep meaning to, but when it comes down to it its much easier to just grab a controller while you are sat on the sofa and have a blast at SSX3 than it is to make time to sit down at an uncomfortable desk and play farcry.

:(

MS do say they are going to try and revive the PC games market once the 360 launch is out the way though...

looks like it might be hard to get your hands on a 360 in time for christmas.

shortage of xbox 360s

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) – Getting your hands on one of this holiday season's hottest gifts might be even harder than you think – and it might get even more expensive.

While Microsoft has still not given precise shipment numbers for the Xbox 360, two sector analysts say the numbers seem to be slipping. That could lead to even higher priced game sets in a market that already seems to be on the verge of price gouging.

Wall Street has been expecting Microsoft to deliver more than 2 million of its next generation consoles to retailers worldwide this year. On Monday, though, P. J. McNealy of American Technology Research lowered his expectations to the 1.8 million – 2 million range. Friday, Banc of America's Gary Cooper said he believes the company will ship just 1.4 million – 1.6 million.

There was never any question that the first 'next generation' video game machine would sell out this holiday season. A cocktail blend of enthusiastic players and Santa's helpers virtually guarantee that demand for the machines will outstrip supply. It happens with every major holiday gaming hardware launch. (Skeptical? Think back to last year's desperate hunt for a Nintendo DS.)

Complicating matters is Microsoft's plan for a worldwide launch of the 360. That means those initial shipments, whatever they turn out to be, will be split between North America, Europe and Japan. McNealy said he expects Microsoft to send roughly 900,000 to 1 million units to North American retailers, 600,000-800,000 to Europe and another 100,000-200,000 to Japan.

Cooper's prediction is more dire, saying there will only be between 300,000 and 350,000 units available in the U.S. on Nov. 22, when the system launches. (Cooper, in a note, said he expects two shipments from Microsoft (Research) this year – one before launch and another in December.)

"Concerns about shortages, parts problems and other associated inventory qualms are typical of any console hardware transition," wrote McNealy.

Microsoft representatives were not immediately available for comment.

The expected shortages could prove beneficial to entrepreneurs and select retailers. Officially, there are two price points for the Xbox 360: $299 and $399 (one bare bones and one tricked out). And while you might be able to buy just the machine if you're willing to camp out at your local Wal-Mart (Research) or Best Buy (Research) the night before they go on sale, many retailers are only selling their allotted units in outrageously expensive bundles.

GameStop (Research), for example, offers five different pre-order packages for would-be owners of the machine, ranging in price from $700 to $4,500. That $4,500 bundle, for those of you gasping for air, includes (among other things) 20 games, three extra wireless controllers and a 42-inch plasma TV.

It's eBay (Research) where I suspect the real fortunes will be made, though. Already, those lucky enough to receive early accessories for the system have been making tidy profits from selling that merchandise to enthusiasts. The faceplate given out at the E3 press conference, for example, has fetched as much as $306.99 – more than the basic version of the machine itself.

How far will bid prices go for an actual Xbox 360? It's anyone's guess. But if you're planning to pad your bank account by flipping one, you'd better hurry. January will bring a new round of shipments and a likely drop-off in demand.

and i heard all gamestops are only gonna have 18 of them max on the 22nd. ah well.

I posted a link in another thread about how MS are only giving about 20 consoles to each retailer, and mmaking them promise that they will "sell out"... this is so they can artificially make the 360 seem really popular and drive up demand for it.

I think everyone at Lucasforums should club together and buy a 360 for a childrens hospital through Child's Play. That way they'd have kids falling over themselves to get into that hospital to play it. literally.

Archived