Home

The Official Next Generation Videogame Console Thread

The Doctor

Okay, after reading some of the stuff in Link's Lynk (couldn't resist)

One thing stands out to me,

It seems most of the trouble occurs when you tip the equipment while it's running.

Have you ever had a gyroscope?

Ever got it up to speed and then tipped it sideway?

What's the RPM on these drives now?

Physics?

I'm not saying that this is the cause of every problem associated with them, just a more likely result of tipping it over while the disc is rotating at a high rate.

So what was the point of all of that? Physics, yes, apparantly physics affects a lot of things in the world, including the Xbox360, not even Microsoft is as powerful as to bypass the laws of physics. And even then, Microsoft kinda needs the laws of physics ;)

But anywayz, it's not my article, the PS2 suffered the same problem where disks were damaged simply by the console sitting vertically, without tipping the console over. Obviously if you tip the console while it's running it may do harm, but sorry, these things are happening even without doing that. I don't recommend that you place a GCN on the side either, and eventhough the Revolution is gonna be able to sit on its side I'm still not gonna try to with THAT either. It's not just a 360 thing, it's the fact that I wouldn't trust ANY drive sitting vertically, so get over it ;)

Can't wait to see what happens when nintendo goes overboard on their design and wants you to wave the revolution around just like the controller:D

Okie dokie :p lol

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, it appears that there are ports on the side of the Revolution for Game Cube controllers (or controllers with wires: I presume that they'll be plain old GC controllers). Does this mean that the "motion controller" will be optional for the games that aren't designed around it?

No, it's been made clear that the Revolution freestyle controller will have a traditional controller addon shell. The reason why the Revolution has the GCN ports is purely for backwards compatibility to the GCN, some people may not want to sell off their old GCN controllers n stuff, ya know. Also it gives Nintendo 4 controller ports for, say recharge ports or perhaps Nintendo will release... no, RErelease older generation console controllers for the Revolution to give your legacy gaming a more authentic feel.

But then again this isn't a Revolution thread XD probably best to ask questions like that in a Revolution thread...

Did you have any trouble getting it?

And have you moved it around a lot?

The guys I chat with at wal-mart said the demo box fried a disk because someone moved it.

No, I had no problem getting the 360, and have been moving it around my house constantly(from bedroom to living room, etc). I have never moved it while the xbox was running, and have had no problems running it while oriented either vertically or horizontally. It isn't the best DVD player, however; a dedicated player will return a better quality movie than the XBOX.

@Lynk, I was simply stating that rotating a disk along another axis while moving could shift it out of position, causing it to scratch and burn.

I also said it was only one possible scenario;)

And it's not just waving the Rev, you're actually going to wear it on your head (inspiring a crazy new japanese fashion trend) and interface it with your gameboy for on-the-go fun...so you've got a revo on your head (with integrated motion sensor) a touchscreen gameboy in your hands, and the motion sensitive controllers duct taped to your shoes, wrists, and boooty...JUST PICTURE IT!:lol:

nintendo takes no responsibility for damage done to the head-based revo unit by bouncing to the hardcore

.... you're actually going to wear it on your head (inspiring a crazy new japanese fashion trend) and interface it with your gameboy for on-the-go fun...so you've got a revo on your head (with integrated motion sensor) a touchscreen gameboy in your hands, and the motion sensitive controllers duct taped to your shoes, wrists, and boooty...JUST PICTURE IT!:lol:

you been drinking Mike ?? :p

Back to the 360, Ive been reading a bit more about Mass Effect - its looks like its going to be just awesome :) Damn you BioWare for getting into bed with M$ !

mtfbwya

interesting... yet another bit of evidence to put you off buying consoles on release.

no amount of crappy fake "banned" ads can downplay the simple fact that M$ quality assurance standards were thrown out the window with this one :( its sad for XB fans who have been eagerly anticipating the 360 and saving their $$$ for it...

mtfbwya

^

|

|

|

That's my conclusion, too...

What i've read about Nintento, the fist NES had problems too.They retook them all and replaced them. They learned from that.

Also, playstation was tested much too. I've seen pics of it's early stage when it didn't even wa s complete thing.

All i mean to say, like with Windows 98, M$ overrushed, and didn't take the time to do it properly.

my only question:

ffs WHY? The PS3 and Revolution are like...a half away? :s

I know they were aiming for the holidays, but i think this will turn out to be fatal in the upcoming console wars.

And no, i'm not anti- X-Box, i'm just anti money-fetishists.

Just so y'all know, the xbox 360's 20GB hard drive comes preloaded with music and movies(i.e. how to use the xbox, the process behind it, etc.) that eat up the difference. Mine actually had around 12GB usable space. The plus side is that the save games take up kilobytes of space, so if you don't rip your entire music collection to the hard drive there will be plenty of space left. The xbox recognizes my iPod when it is plugged into the 360 via USB cable, so if space is an issue, any USB device should be recognized.

Oh- and the 'backwards compatibility' the article claims is false. The 360 comes backwards compatible for Halo 1 and 2, and to get it to work for anything else you need to download an emulator(free) from xbox.com or through xbox live(don't need a subscription to dl it). The emulator is all of a 5MB download, not the 7GB claimed in the article. It is annoying, don't get me wrong, but it is not that big of a hassle to deal with.

• 3 weeks later...
It's not a gamble: it's a penetration pricing strategy. They're entering the market with a low price to attract a consumer base, then they'll raise it steadily to increase and maximize profits.

Wow that would be a very stupid thing to do, low price initially, then once everyone's interested, jack up the price... No one has done that kind of thing for a videogaming console in a long long time, and for good reason.

The 360 is the first next-gen console out of the gate, which means once the PS3 and NRV are in the game the 360 won't be able to do anything with its price but try to make it lower.

What Microsoft wants to occur are lots of third party support because as you should know the more third party support you have the more funding you get through licenses. This is where Sony is the strongest since at this point in time they are the ones with the most third party support.

And this is also where the original Xbox failed (well one of the reasons). Despite attracting some good third party support, it just wasn't enough and Microsoft suffered losses, of course this was due to other factors as well.

The point is that Microsoft needs to come out in the #1 position far far in front of everyone else if they ever want to think about seeing any real profits from the 360.

(edit: note: not calling you stupid, calling the idea of hiking up the price stupid, just thought i'd let you know)

Archived