Home

Could Lightsabers ever become reality?

Nedak

Could Lightsabers become a reality?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Could Lightsabers become a reality?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Fair enough.

But I can't imagine a whole lot of dedicated research and development on the lightsaber

Indeed, unless some eccentric Star Wars fan funds it. XD

Not a highly practical weapon technology,.. unless, like I said, you DO just happen to have Jedi reflexes.

Indeed, which is why I think if we had something even remotely close to a lightsaber, it won't be so much a weapon as it would be a nifty little tool.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im not saying it cant be done, but in the next 20 to 100 years, i extremely doubt that a lightsaber at least how we picture it will not be even close to being made. Maybe in like 2 more centuries or so, maybe...just maybe a lightsaber shall appear as if from nowhere and we wont be around to enjoy it in all its glory.

• 3 weeks later...
Maybe in the future they will have somthing that deflects bullets like a lightsaber shield but the shield can not hurt you in any way.

No, the bullet would just crumple and fall to the ground, like bulletproof glass, theres no way a bullet could be deflected like a blaster shot from a Lightsaber.

I decided to do some looking around to see if Lightsabres were possible, came up with this diagram.

http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/JOM/0505/figA-C.large.gif

This would show how to create a "laser" which traveled in a straight line, and ended at one point. Only problem is, it talks about the Blade core being an element call Metachlorium. Such an element doesn't exist. I tried to look it up, and failed. However, it's Atomic number is for a theoretical element called Untrioctium , which is belived to be the "final element". I don't know anything about "plasmons", although i'll try to find something on it.

Such an element could have some interesting properties, and would definatly generate a lot of energy of any light put through it. The Untrioctium laser would be bound to give off a lot of heat, and energy to "push back" anything it comes in contact with, or more likly, incinerate.

Such a "blade" could be wrapped in a force field with a Positive charge. If strong enough, this could deflect most bullets (the charge on an air-born bullet is Positive due to friction). If 2 of these blades were to come in contact, provided the charge was strong enough, they would repel.

We can easily Create a Negative field (EM field) and a positive field is a bit more difficult, but possible.

I don't think it's impossible to develop a Lightsabre like that in the movies. Just imagine what it would be like trying to tell Ancient greeks that you could split the atom, which they "knew" (note the "") was the smallest partical in the universe, they would never belive you. Yet it is common knowledge that you can. So who knows what we will be able to do in the next 100 years.

I haven't done much physics or chemistry in the last year, so feel free to correct any errors i have made. I'm not saying this is the way, just giving you something to think about. I will do some more reading on this, and correct any errors i think i may have made.

Of course, you could try to do what this Couple did...

I've always wanted to ask a reputable sci-fi nerd-gathering one question about light-sabers... Would not a modern (led-based) shotgun blast totaly own a lightsaber wearing fruitcake? (not Chuck Norris and/or Vader)

a jedi fruit cake or a normal fruitcake with a lightsaber?

if jedi they'd probably just use the force to slow the shot down

if it was a normal person well even a normal person couldnt block a blaster bolt with a lightsaber

they probably have them now governments wouldent tell us

Possibly, there are a lot of things the government doesn't tell us, like their plans for real life Star Destroyers, and Area 51. Oh yes, and I will post photos of my working lightsaber once I build it(have the amethyst crystal, need a flashlight).

• 2 weeks later...
they probably have them now governments wouldent tell us

I doubt it very much.

Possibly, there are a lot of things the government doesn't tell us, like their plans for real life Star Destroyers, and Area 51. Oh yes, and I will post photos of my working lightsaber once I build it(have the amethyst crystal, need a flashlight).

lol, you can see perfectly clear images of Area 51 on Google Earth.

That brings up an argument against real life lightsabers, what coloured crystal can withstand the energy of a lightsaber blade?

Archived