Home

A music game...

Lady Jedi

Here's how it works: Someone lists 1 - 3 artists and/or songs that they like and why. The next person picks 1 or more from the previous list and and says why they do or do not like them. Then they make their own list of 1 - 3 artists/songs that they like and so on.

NOTE: While you are allowed to explain why you don't like someone else's choice, there will be NO flaming of ANYONE for their preferrences.

I'll start:

Ryan Adams -

Albums: Gold, Jacksonville City Nights, and Cold Roses

Why: His music is very soothing. He's got a very different voice and his songs seem to span several genres from country to rock to blues, with a bit of that David Gray / Dave Matthews random quality. :)

U2 -

Albums: How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, and All that You Can't Leave Behind

Why: I like Bono's voice. Personally, I'm not a big fan a lot of electronica and the like, but their songs that don't have that aspect are just amazing, plus some of their others like, Vertigo and City of Blinding lights are good. :)

Johnny Cash -

Albums: Greatest Hits

Why: I just do. :D

U2 -

Albums: How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

Why: I like Bono's voice. Personally, I'm not a big fan a lot of electronica and the like, but their songs that don't have that aspect are just amazing, plus some of their others like, Vertigo and City of Blinding lights are good. :)

I didn't like it. They're all 40, and about all of their special tricks relied on the delay pedal; The Edge really didn't pick all those notes...about the only song I did like on there is Yaweh, actually. This is more or less a more detailed summary of what I thought, but be warned for bad language and suggestive themes!

Now my albums!

The Beatles

Album: Abbey Road

Why: Why not? It's kickass and everyone knows it. At least, everyone who matters. :indif:

Cream

Album: Disreali Gears

Why: Fairly good psychadelic playing. All of the songs are more blues based and Eric Clapton is good at blues guitar. Notably, the singer Jack Bruce is good and Tales of Brave Ulysses is like wine in sonic form.

Metallica

Album: Master of Puppets

Why: Yeah, I know. Among most of you death "Krug needs blood YARGDRIBL! BUDUDUDUUDUH" metalers, Metallica is a sham. But I like this album, paticularly the self-titled song and The Thing That Should not Be and Welcome Home. I liked the rythym section and singing, too, and I think it's one of the better metal albums without loads of screamage.

I didn't like it. They're all 40, and about all of their special tricks relied on the delay pedal; The Edge really didn't pick all those notes...about the only song I did like on there is Yaweh, actually. This is more or less a more detailed summary of what I thought, but be warned for bad language and suggestive themes!

I really didn't like Vertigo when I heard it the first time but it kind of grew on me as it was almost unavoidable to hear the stupid thing...I like All That You Can't Leave Behind a lot better. :)

Now my albums!

The Beatles

Album: Abbey Road

Why: Why not? It's kickass and everyone knows it. At least, everyone who matters. :indif:

I don't have Abbey Road, but as for the Beatles, I've always liked their music. They are one of the rare bands from the 60s that I can listen to and really enjoy. Let it Be is one of my fave songs of all time. :D

My new list:

3 Doors Down -

Album: Seventeen Days

Why: Because of that slow southern accent on the lead singer... And the fact that they have cool songs. :D I really like the guitar work that these guys do; it's very remenicent of Lynrd Skynrd, especially on the song, Behind Those Eyes. So cool. Landing in London is beautiful, and Bob Seger sings on that one. Yay!

Lynrd Skynrd -

Album: Greatest Hits?

Why: Why the heck not? These guys rock. See above comment about guitars. :D Plus Simple Man is one of the best songs ever.

Cream

Album: Disreali Gears

Why: Fairly good psychadelic playing. All of the songs are more blues based and Eric Clapton is good at blues guitar. Notably, the singer Jack Bruce is good and Tales of Brave Ulysses is like wine in sonic form.

Nobody addressed yours, so I'll do it ;)

Eric Clapton, while great, is one of the most over-rated guitarists in rock. And Cream is definitely over-rated. Their music has aged poorly (especially compared with the Beatles, etc), and is now just a tired nostalgia trip to a drug-laden bygone era. (and yes, I do still own this album ;) )

Lynrd Skynrd -

Album: Greatest Hits?

Why: Why the heck not? These guys rock. See above comment about guitars. :D Plus Simple Man is one of the best songs ever.

I didn't like Skynard in the 70's and still don't. It always came across to me (as a New Englander) as overly simplistic redneck rock that was generally formulaic and lacked any of the inventive spirit I heard in the prog rock groups of the same era.

Artist: Miles Davis

Album: Kind of Blue

Why: Once again at the forefront of a new genre, this time pioneering the modal jazz scene, Miles constructs a great group that takes the simplicity and openness at the heart of modal music and churns out some of the best songs in all of jazz.

Artist: Ornette Coleman

Album: The Shape of Jazz to Come

Why: The first shot in the avante garde revolution is still one of the best. Pushing harmonic boundaries while remaining thoroughly musical, this is a testament to Ornette as perhaps the greatest composer of long-form melody since Beethovan

Artist: Pat Metheny Group

Album: The Way Up

Why: The best album of 2005. Combining some of the best long-form melodic composition heard in many years with open improvisation and constant genre-shifting across the vast landscapes of this 68+ minute song.

Mike

Artist: Miles Davis

Album: Kind of Blue

Why: Once again at the forefront of a new genre, this time pioneering the modal jazz scene, Miles constructs a great group that takes the simplicity and openness at the heart of modal music and churns out some of the best songs in all of jazz.

I bet you thought you could kill the thread with your list, didn't you Mike? HAHA! That's my job buddy. Needless to say, I pretty much agree about Clapton, and while I'm not a fan of Skynrd, even you can't deny the impact they've had on modern music, from southern metal, to contemporary country, to pop, blues, etc... They definately have influenced alot of musicians. Formulaic? Sure. Boring, and predictable for the most part, sure. But they had the ocassional catchy tune. Anyway, yeah Miles Davis. Who in their right mind can bad mouth that guy even if they despise jazz? The only negative I can come up with is that alot of the songs weigh in at nearly the ten minute mark. Not that length is a bad thing when it's good music, but sometimes I just don't have the time. Jazz is definately not a genre for a person in a hurry. Flamenco Sketches is probably my favorite on the record though. I'll get my jazz from Disco Volante era Mr. Bungle, and Dillenger Escape Plan though. Which brings me to my list.

Artist: The Melvins

Album: Stoner Witch

Why: While not the schizophrenic masterpiece that was the follow up album, Stag, Stoner Witch is definately The Melvins heading into what would become their signature sound. Experimental metal at its best, but not to the point of putting off the casual listener. Also on that album is the song At The Stake. And while it has the length of its jazz counterparts that I mentioned, it's catchy and repetitive enough to hold ones attention. Great song. Doom metal may have got its start with Sabbath, but At The Stake perfected it.

Artist: General Patton vs The X-ecutioners

Album: General Patton vs The X-ecutioners

Why: To be honest, it's just because I'm a huge fan of pretty much anything Mike Patton has ever done. A short description of the music from the labels site: "Mike Patton has taken on a lot of different musical styles over the years, but what about hip-hop? Now before you start having nightmares of Mr. Patton dressed up in his own designer clothing line with gold chains, and spouting off about 'representing,' relax - he's still the same old loveable vocal terrorizer that we all know and love. It's just that now he's hooked up with one of the world's most respected DJ groups, New York City's The X-ecutioners, for their first ever collaboration together, GENERAL PATTON VS. THE X-ECUTIONERS.

Best known as the front man for Faith No More and Mr. Bungle, Patton has long been considered one of the top (and most versatile) singers in all of rock. Additionally, Patton is the co-head of Ipecac Recordings (along with partner Greg Werckman), and is a member of various other bands - Fantômas, Tomahawk, and Peeping Tom - in addition to appearing on countless recordings by other artists. Patton has also recently branched out into other areas as well, including acting (playing two separate roles in Steve Balderson's 'Firecracker'), and scoring the music for a videogame for Rockstar Games. The X-ecutioners on the other hand, have long been one of the most respected DJ crews in all of hip-hop, issuing albums both on their own (including 2002's 'Built From Scratch,' which peaked at #15 on the Billboard Top 200), as well as with others (Organized Konfusion, The Beatnuts, Artifacts, etc.). The trio also was the opening act on Eminem's 2002 Anger Management Tour."So yeah, this is something I'd probably never listen to if Mike Patton wasn't on it. But it's suprisingly good.

Artist: Soilent Green

Album: Confrontation

Why: They're my favorite band, and they solidify their hold in that spot with each release. With a sound that hard to genre-fy, even for the likes of Pie, Soilent Green are easily one of the fiercest bands in metal today. Their music is never repetitive, unpredictable, complicated, and throat punching badass all at the same time.

Artist: Metallica

Albums: Master of Puppets, Metallica (Black album), St. Anger

Why: They're my first taste of Metal and are extremely skilled at their job. They have great songs that have theme and are good at the guitarwork.

Artist: Sentenced

Album: The Cold White Light

Why: They're a cross of Death Metal and Heavy Metal. Not only are they gothic, they are also good at creating the sort of atmosphere that bands like Metallica create. Excellent.

Artist: Nightwish

Album: Wishmaster, Century Child, Once

Why: Nightwish is opera-like and are experts at rythmic melodies with their guitars. The female vocals are also great and they create a great environment of Fantasy, Gothic-ness and such...

I'm just gonna keep ignoring CapN's post...

Artist: Metallica

Albums: Master of Puppets, Metallica (Black album), St. Anger

Master of Puppets is Metallica's career climax, there's no denying that. A good album with some great tracks, that most metalheads can admit liking without getting their asses kicked. The Black Album, on the other hand, has some repetative and/or boring songs (Enter Sandman and Nothing Else Matters to name two), but still has some good songs (My Friend Of Misery and Sad But True). While the album in itself isn't directly bad, this should have been the bands swansong. Which brings me to the utter crapfest that is St. Anger. This album is basically just some old buggers trying as hard they can to be "cool" among the "kiddies", and failing miserably. Or maybe not, they must have gained a lot of non-metal fans after this release. And don't get me started on the garbage drums (literarily) and Bob Rock's bass playing. Ick.

Artist: Sentenced

Album: The Cold White Light

While I agree that this is a good release from the gloomy Finns, I disagree with most of your comments. Firstly, this release has nothing to do with death metal. Sentenced basically left their death metal roots behind back in 1996 with the release of Down, and the addition of vocalist Ville Laihala. This album can barely be fit into the heavy metal genre, but is probably best described as "gothic metal". On to the actual music, this album is full of catchy and well composed tunes, mostly with depressing themes, the way only Finns do it. Take the track title 'Excuse Me While I Kill Myself' for example. The only real downside of this album is that some of the slower songs (like Guilt And Regret and Everything Is Nothing) can get a bit too whiny. If you like this album I recommend the preceding album, Crimson, which has stronger tracks and better lyrics, even though it is laden with even more depression.

Artist: Nightwish

Album: Wishmaster, Century Child, Once

These Finnish power/symphonic metallers were, like many other bands, better in their early career. While Wishmaster used to be among my favourite albums, with many good songs, Century Child is only an average performance. With MTV hits like Nemo and Wish I Had An Angel though, the Once album really brought Nightwish to the mainstream. None of those tracks are great, and Nemo is very repetitive, but they are still par-average on the album. With few memorable songs, Once doesn't really grow on every listen. With the musical diraction they were taking, I suspect that the eviction of vocalist Tarja Turunen might be a good thing in the long last.

Now, let's take a look at my three albums, and see if anyone has any comments.

Artist: Bathory

Album: Twilight of the Gods

Why: This album concluded Bathory's 'Hammerheart Saga', which consisted of three albums dedicated to norse (viking) culture and mythology. Not as great as the preceding Hammerheart album, but TotG is still worth a place among the best epic albums since the old classical composers. With inspiration from the likes of Gustav Holst and Wagner, Bathory's sole member Quorthon (RIP) put together a masterpiece with one bombastic song after the other. It kicks off with the 14 minute long title track, which is so powerful that it might knock you off your seat, and somehow manages not to become repetitive. Then follows several great songs, until the absolutely amazing Under The Runes. This song starts of with a simple acoustic intro, and then blows into a war march of vast proportions. Quorthon later stirred a lot of controversy by the lyrics for this song ("I die to go on, by under the great hail I go"), but the sheer power of this song ranks it amongst my favourite songs ever. The whole album rounds up with the ballad Hammerheart, which is a sad song based on Holst's The Planets piece. This song was used for Quorthon's memorial, and just holds a really sad power. All in all Twilight Of The Gods is one of my most-played albums, and is recommended to anyone who's a fan of viking metal and/or classical music.

Artist: Burzum

Album: Filosofem

Why: Filosofem is the insane mastermind Varg Vikernes last genuine black metal album to date (even though most of it was recorded at the same time as his first albums, but released while he was in prison), and might just be his best. BM classics as Dunkelheit and Jesus Tod is to be found here, and creates a unique cold and gloomy atmosphere only Burzum can reach. All the instruments and vocals are as usual done by Varg himself, something which just understates what a musical genius he is. The only drawback of this album is the 25 minute ambient track 'Rundgang um die transzendentale Säule der Singularität', which is really as drawn-out as it sounds. This track contains the same quiet melody over and over and over and over and over again, until even the worst cases of insomnia is cured. The track sets a great melancholic and dark mood, but 5 minutes would have been long enough. Still, Filosofem is a icy cold and grim album only a Norwegian could have produced, and well worth a listen if you like raw metal.

Artist: Wintersun

Album: Wintersun

Why: This is the newer project of the ex-mainman of better known Ensiferum, and they play a great mix of folk and viking metal. The album contains four ballads and four fast tracks, perfectly balanced to create a enviable mood for the album. The general theme for this album is winter, the night sky, and hallucinations, and the lyrics are so expertly written that images form in my head every time I listen to the songs. The vocals are also a great mix between sneers and chanting, and again the perfect balance is maintained. My favourite track on this album is the epic Starchild, which is divided into five different segments, all with a unique style. This is an album that grows with time though, and gets better on every listen. Definately a great album for both old-school extreme metal fans and newer "recruits".

And thus ends my longest forum post ever. <_<

Artist: Bathory

Album: Twilight of the Gods

Why: This album concluded Bathory's 'Hammerheart Saga', which consisted of three albums dedicated to norse (viking) culture and mythology. Not as great as the preceding Hammerheart album, but TotG is still worth a place among the best epic albums since the old classical composers. With inspiration from the likes of Gustav Holst and Wagner, Bathory's sole member Quorthon (RIP) put together a masterpiece with one bombastic song after the other. It kicks off with the 14 minute long title track, which is so powerful that it might knock you off your seat, and somehow manages not to become repetitive. Then follows several great songs, until the absolutely amazing Under The Runes. This song starts of with a simple acoustic intro, and then blows into a war march of vast proportions. Quorthon later stirred a lot of controversy by the lyrics for this song ("I die to go on, by under the great hail I go"), but the sheer power of this song ranks it amongst my favourite songs ever. The whole album rounds up with the ballad Hammerheart, which is a sad song based on Holst's The Planets piece. This song was used for Quorthon's memorial, and just holds a really sad power. All in all Twilight Of The Gods is one of my most-played albums, and is recommended to anyone who's a fan of viking metal and/or classical music.

Having not heard much Bathory, only the bits you sent me, I can't comment much one way or the other. I can say the songs I heard weren't my thing.

I'd have to say my most listened to albums would be the following.

David Bowie: The Man Who Sold the World.

Why: From "Width of a Circle" to "The Supermen", I can't stop listening to this ablum, especially on my way to work. It's heavy (in a classical stoner sense, not "zOMG TEH METAL") but relaxing. Only thing I can think of wrong with it is Running Gun Blues doesn't hold up well by today's standard. Many people tend to miss the reference and subtle political jab and just view it as racist. The guitar work to me is some of the best (aside from some of his best of albums featuring guest work by Stevie Ray Vaughn.) on any Bowie album. It's not so much musical to me as it is an effect. Almost in the same light as Hendrix using distortion and many other effects to create sounds reminiscent of machine guns and planes diving to drop bombs. The title track is definitely the biggest hit on the album, but it's far from the showcase. I think Black Country Rock and She Shook Me Cold hold the title as the most exercising tracks, a wide range of sounds and mood, they drift in and out of genres at amazing speed. This is something many bands have tried to achieve, but failed at miserably. Bowie has accomplished something few artists could ever say, he's stayed relevant, entertaining, and invented/re-invented genres for nearly half a century. Whether or not you've liked all his persona's, you can't deny Bowie is a legendary rocker that has outlasted and outrocked the Stones, Aerosmith and even newer bands.

Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon

Why: Doesn't get any better than lighting up and listening to Time and Money. Don't get me wrong, the entire albums is great. But those two tracks alone are solid ****ing gold.

Bad Religion: All Ages

Why: Bad Religion is probably my all time favorite band. I first saw them in concert long, long ago and have shaped my life.

A very influential band in punk rock, they have stayed relevant for over 20 years. Helping spawn the political punk scene and pushing punk to what it is today. And their lives sets with the likes of Bad Brains and Black Flag are brilliant. A literal ****storm of political satire and jabs at extremist punks.

But anyway, about this album. It features some of Bad Religions top entries in their catalogue. From "I Want to Conquer the World" to "21st Century Digital Boy".

Bad Religion: All Ages

I'm truly not much of a Bad Religion fan. I saw them in concert when they were touring with Less Than Jake, and I left halfway through their set. They have a few good songs, but overall it all ends up sounding the same to me.

Top 3 albums for me would be..

The Postal Service: Give Up

Why: The Postal Service is great. I really like their style, and they have some great music. Some of the songs on this album are just plain awesome.

Cake: Comfort Eagle

Why: I like all of Cake's albums, but comfort eagle has Comissioning a Symphony in C...and I can't stop listening to that song ever.

The Shins:Chutes Too Narrow

Why: The shins are abotively one of my favorite bands around. I'd never really listened to them until I saw Garden State..and since I'm a Zach Braff-aholic I decided to give them a listen, and I haven't regretted it for an instant. Chutes Too Narrow has Pink bullets, Young Pilgrims, and Saint Simon, so it really has some solid sounds on it.

Nobody addressed yours, so I'll do it ;)

Actually I commented on one of his... *shrugs* *mutters about old people* :p

The Postal Service: Give Up

Why: The Postal Service is great. I really like their style, and they have some great music. Some of the songs on this album are just plain awesome.

I listened to a bit of their stuff a while ago, but it didn't really make an impression on me. I just took a listen on bestbuy.com, and I just don't care for their style very much. It's something that I might leave on if it was on the radio, but I'd never buy an album.

Cake: Comfort Eagle

Why: I like all of Cake's albums, but comfort eagle has Comissioning a Symphony in C...and I can't stop listening to that song ever.

Despite people telling me I should check out this band numerous times, I never did until tonight, and I've gotta say that these guys have some decidedly catchy tunes. They are a bit similar to The Postal Service but they have a more endearing quality that I like. Still not quite purchase worthy for me though. :) EDIT: I just listened to some of Motorcade of Genorosity; there's some good songs on there. I can only describe them as catchy. :D

Another list:

Nightwish -

Albums: I honestly don't know. I've only heard two songs - Bless the Child and Nemo.

Why: The lead singer has an amazing voice. I forget her name atm (Tarja something?). Anyway, I listened to a some Nightwish a long time ago, but you really can't get the full effect from 30 second clips. When I heard these two songs on pandora.com I was surprised. I really like the way the instruments build so high throughout the songs; it's a great compliment to her voice. :)

Evanescence -

Album: Fallen

Why: Well, despite the fact that they aren't really 'goth' and that they're 'just posers', I happen to like their music, and don't care what makeup or clothes they wear. Granted Amy Lee sounds like someone is choking her when she sings live, but that doesn't make this a bad album. The instruments are very cool; I always like it when a song kind of gives the sense of a cold fantasy world, and Evanescence acheives that well. And Amy Lee can sing in a studio, so that works for me. And while some of you may thoroughly disagree, the instrumental arragements are very similar to those of Nightwish. :D

Evanescence -

Album: Fallen

Why: Well, despite the fact that they aren't really 'goth' and that they're 'just posers', I happen to like their music, and don't care what makeup or clothes they wear. Granted Amy Lee sounds like someone is choking her when she sings live, but that doesn't make this a bad album. The instruments are very cool; I always like it when a song kind of gives the sense of a cold fantasy world, and Evanescence acheives that well. And Amy Lee can sing in a studio, so that works for me. And while some of you may thoroughly disagree, the instrumental arragements are very similar to those of Nightwish.

Amy Lee's voice annoys me. It drops down and up again for absolutely no reason other than to make it sound weird. Instrumentals for most of the songs are ok I guess, standard issue there... and the Daredevil theme that was played like 5000000 times. Nnnnnnnng... :p

Well uh... guess I'll go...

Outkast - The Love Below/Speakerboxxx

I like The Love Below way more than Speakerboxxx because it's a better album on the whole. Andre 3000 grows as both a rapper and a musician and offers some good variety on his tracks. Big Boi does what he does best and throws down some his raps. But what makes Outkast different from other hip hop artists is that they do it with style. They've got the funk, baby. Evidence? Listen to Love Hater from The Love Below or Bowtie from Speakerboxxx. Pure awesome.

Jay-Z/The Beatles - The Grey Album (by DJ DangerMouse)

Holy crap, this is awesome. Jay rapping over a mix of Beatles' instrumentals... I suggest you all listen to it. Jay-Z's style of rap is on the whole a lot better than most other hip hop artists, from lyrical wordplay, similes, etc. His lyrics are pretty damn clever, and he delivers them well. The mix of Beatles' instrumentals backing him are well done, too. I don't listen to the Beatles too much, and I know some are like "OMG BEATLES HOLY DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING OMG YOU CHANGED IT BASTARD!!1111" but whatever. It works, and I feel that this is a great album. Download it. (cause it's not in stores)

The Killers - Hot Fuss

Yeah, so they're emo. Whatever. But damned if they don't have good catchy music. Good synth in their music, what they're known for I guess.Mr. Brightside is nice, was better before it was played everywhere, but still a good song. All the Things That I've Done is one of the better songs on this album, taking up about 5 minutes. Plus, it has the coolest line ever "I've got soul but I'm not a soldier" I mean c'mon, it's awesome. This album is good for just having fun, probably going wild at a dance or whatever. Yay High school rock!

So yeah, my list is probably more easily followed than the rest of you folks <_< (lawlz CapN)

The Killers - Hot Fuss

Man, these guys bothered me so much when Mr. Brightside was on all the time, but now they've kind of grown on me. I just can't help but turn up the radio a bit when one of their songs comes on. They're so very catchy with the repetitive lyrics and constant rhythm. Somebody Told Me is way addictive, and I totally agree with you about All the Things I've Done. Unfortunatly, I've only ever heard that one once, but the "I've got soul" line really stuck with me. Sweet.

So yeah, my list is probably more easily followed than the rest of you folks <_< (lawlz CapN)

Well, I've been deliberately making mine easy to follow, but because you're being smug...

Uncle Tupelo -

Albums: Anodyne

Why: They have that alternative country sound that you just don't hear on the radio. Jay Farrar has a great voice and he's been in several bands, all of them great. This band brings in the nice blend of modern country with a bit of the older sound without having the tinny classic country vibe.

The Gourds -

Albums: Shinebox, Blood of the Ram

Why: Because they're cool. I like bluegrass, but not too much at a time and The Gourds do a nice mix of bluegrass instrumentation without the fast pace of most bluegrass, plus they throw in some good classic 'down home in the holler' type tunes. Dooley being one of these; AFAIK this is one of the songs that the 'band' would play on the Andy Griffith Show. Good song. Some other good ones are Everybody's Missing the Sun and Two Girls. And there's always their classy remake of Gin and Juice. :D Lower 48 is extremely addictive.

Calexico -

Album: Hot Rail

Why: Half the songs are instrumental, they use a mariachi band, and they have a great country-esque background in each song. Why the heck not? :D

I bet you thought you could kill the thread with your list, didn't you Mike?

Actually, no I didn't, which is why I chose (1) the best selling jazz record ever (2) the most famous 'revolutionary' or jazz and (3) one of the most famous current jazz artists who has sold millions of records and has a very popular (for jazz) record now. Would it have been a 'thread-ender- if I cited Beethoven's 9th recorded by Leonard Bernstein (which is the standard for how the length of a CD was originally determined) or Vivaldi's the Four Seasons?

OK, a new set:

Artist: Rush

Album: Moving Pictures

Why: Just emerging from their 'art rock' stage, they were still edgy and full of musical fire and not so AOR yet. This record took the excellent combination of catchy and highly musical songwriting from Permenant Waves and cranked it to 11. Their finest hour. I lost track of them in the mid-80's, but everything I've heard through snippets or radio play sounds like retreads and uninspired stuff.

Artist: The Police

Album: Zenyatta Mondatta

Why: I had seen the police prior to this in Boston when they were still largely a pop/punk group, and they were amazing. Regatta de Bland hinted at where they were going, but was a pretty mixed effort - but this was brilliant. My least favorite song is the popular one.

Artist: The Who

Album: The Who by Numbers

Why: Leaving behind the huge bombastic efforts such as Tommy and Quadrophenia, as well as the high-concept Lighthouse which spawned (IMO overrated) Who's Next, this one was pretty raw - intimate songs fueled my musical power - the ever great drum & bass work is some of the best in all of rock, and there is some particularly gritty guitar work from the typically understated Townsend. Again, my least fave is the most popular song.

Mike

You're kidding yourself if you thought that the majority of the people here had even heard of, much less actually listened to "(1) the best selling jazz record ever (2) the most famous 'revolutionary' or jazz and (3) one of the most famous current jazz artists who has sold millions of records and has a very popular (for jazz) record now." And no, it wouldn't have been a thread ender to cite Beethoven, because he is just slightly more popular than even the most popular American jazz musicians.

In respone to Mike Windu and his comment regarding the obscurity of the music I selected, I thought I'd use the thread as a chance to mention something people don't hear every time they get in a car, or go to a store. I thought maybe somebody might want to read about something they didn't already know, as apposed to reading my bull**** opinion about something they could just as easily flip on an FM radio at all hours of the day and hear for themselves. Foolish, I know, to make the assumption that someone might have grown weary of reading about pop music. I'll make sure to only mention multi-platinum selling artists in the future.

You're kidding yourself if you thought that the majority of the people here had even heard of, much less actually listened to "(1) the best selling jazz record ever (2) the most famous 'revolutionary' or jazz and (3) one of the most famous current jazz artists who has sold millions of records and has a very popular (for jazz) record now." And no, it wouldn't have been a thread ender to cite Beethoven, because he is just slightly more popular than even the most popular American jazz musicians.

I have Kind of Blue and Autumn Leaves, actually. I think most people who actually like music at least have had a listen to Miles Davis. Beethoven is fairly well known, but Vivaldi is obscure to the majority, and that's sad.

Edit- Mike, it's because we non-asians have emotions. :indif:

Stay on topic. Comment on a list, make a list, comment, make. 'Round and 'round it goes. Understand?
OK, I'll repost mine, since I think that each could have detractors and enough listeners amongst this crew ...

Artist: Rush

Album: Moving Pictures

Why: Just emerging from their 'art rock' stage, they were still edgy and full of musical fire and not so AOR yet. This record took the excellent combination of catchy and highly musical songwriting from Permenant Waves and cranked it to 11. Their finest hour. I lost track of them in the mid-80's, but everything I've heard through snippets or radio play sounds like retreads and uninspired stuff.

Artist: The Police

Album: Zenyatta Mondatta

Why: I had seen the police prior to this in Boston when they were still largely a pop/punk group, and they were amazing. Regatta de Bland hinted at where they were going, but was a pretty mixed effort - but this was brilliant. My least favorite song is the popular one.

Artist: The Who

Album: The Who by Numbers

Why: Leaving behind the huge bombastic efforts such as Tommy and Quadrophenia, as well as the high-concept Lighthouse which spawned (IMO overrated) Who's Next, this one was pretty raw - intimate songs fueled my musical power - the ever great drum & bass work is some of the best in all of rock, and there is some particularly gritty guitar work from the typically understated Townsend. Again, my least fave is the most popular song.

Mike

Archived