Home

The so called persistence EAW

alfredo_p87

From the very beginning Petro and all the previews I read said that one of the main virtues of this game was the persistent characteristic of the engine. If well used, our units could survive entire battles and live to fight another day. I was really happy with their statement but i thought that persistence also include PERSISTENt DAMAGE and PERSISTENt NAMES as well as other minor persistences.

For example, if a fleet of 6 ISD are pulling out from hyperspace into a enemy controlled planet to start a massive assault in the area. 6 ISD is what I consider a horrible scene for almost any rebel pilot. Maybe the rebel player already knows that the battle is lost and a rather than run they decide to engage the imperial fleet hoping to slow down their offensive. This could be done, for example, if the rebel Y-wings are capable to destroy some of the ISD engines in order to prevent this ships to go deeper in the sector. Maybe the rest of the fleet can use their hyperspace but the strategy is done: 1 or maybe more ISD would have to stay in a planet until imperial engineers arrive to repair the ship. The empire would have two thing twice if going deeper in the rebel controlled planets and the alliance gain more time to gather ships, reforcing the planet, etc.

As far as I know (i have being here for a long time but just as a observer) there is no persistent damage and that is traduced in the decrease of the number of strategies that the player can use. I love SW and EAW (is like the rebellion 2 that i always want) and that is why I do this thread. I consider it like a positive feedback because even with EAW finished PETRO could use the critics to improve the game if an expansion would be made (I am 99% sure there would be one but thats another story)

again sorry for the bad spelling

Its that your reason, because it would be harder to program? Give the developers some credit here. If they wanted persistent damage, they are fully capable of adding it. It is obvious that they didn't include it for another reason
Sure they are capable, but is the investment worth the reward? Probably not, IMO.

becouse it would be harder to program, having the game remember every single unit in the galaxy's health.

Are you kidding? All the game would have to do is store one number for each active ship in the game. If Petroglyph already programmed the game to store each ship, it's no more difficult than adding another attribute to the ship objects. That's not very many extra numbers to a computer.

Frist post, so forgive me if i miss something. Assuming we don't get a damage renention type system then...

Considering the wonderful modding work already being done, surely some brilliant person could mod such a system into the game? Unless it's part of the hardcoding.

I cannot find anything on that nature. I am afraid it is hardcoded. But that is my skill limit.

The data is dynamicaly stored in RAM from the game engine itself.

Look at the savegame file. There is no data on the state of damage to a ship.

Opps..you guys do not have the savegame function enabled?

• 2 weeks later...

Hit and runs still work, you just have to go in and destroy ships to be able to do anything....

If damage was persistant we'd run into issues in multiplayer, for example, where people would send in say 5 squads of Y-Wings and tell them all to destroy hard points on ships and let them die or retreat... Then send in the SAME Y-Wings, or less, and do the same thing, then fade... You could have 10 attacks on the same damn planet in the span of just a few minutes of nothing more than "Hit and run attacks" which can become frustrating to some people... I mean really... If they come in to do damage, I'd just as soon they destroy a ship then weaken everything...

Dear Nakatomi don't try to defend undefendable. If you want to prevent rebels from doing such kind of tactics all you have to do is to group your fleet with the interdictor cruiser and few patrol ships. This will prevent Y-wings from jumping into the hyperspace and the patrol ships will kill them very easily.

Or have a gravity well genorator add-on to your star base/space station to prevent the y-wings form hyperspacing, another thing to do is similar to what sithman said, but you could, if your fleet is big enough, counter-attack at the planet the Y-Wings came from. Each auto-resolve, both forces get healed after a retreat or something like that, so you would have to destroy the capitol ship your attacking.

Whoopie if you have an Interdictor, if the enemy is an ass in multiplayer they could build a bunch of Y-Wings and send in a few squads at a time, even if they're Kamikaze squads if he sent them endlessly it would get annoying, even if all they did was destroy one hard point on one ship, it has the potential to get old really fast...

It's not that I wouldn't mind it, it's that it leaves the door open to asshat tactics....

becouse it would be harder to program, having the game remember every single unit in the galaxy's health. but if they can program that some day, then they can program multable battles at once. funny how a wined about this so long time ago.

They did it easily enough in rebellion, (you could build unlimited ships to.. just took awhile depending on how many yards u had on a planet) and it worked well, if a SD was heavily damaged IE-Shields and hyperdrive knocked out.. it took at lest a week to repair, and would only repair if it was in orbit over a friendly planet that had a yard in orbit. Which to me was brilliant, espeically if u r doin hit and runs attacks with the rebellion

fleets can traverse an entire galaxy within minutes. it takes 5 minutes to make a death star, start to finish. how long do you want your ships sitting around helpless in drydock for?

you make the trade off of hit and runs in the battles. you could go for the engines right away to cripple the ship, and lead the fleet off elsewhere. or you could de-claw enemy cap ships and immediately focus firepower on other ships w/o finishing the engines/shields/lasers. the downside being if you don't win the battle your opponent will have that ship fresh. however if you finish every single ship you lose precious seconds while the enemy's intact ships keep on broadsiding you.

Archived