Home

PS3, PS3! Wherefore art thou Sony PS3?

Char Ell

When will Sony release the PS3 in North America?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. When will Sony release the PS3 in North America?

• Q2 2006 (April-June)
    • Q3 2006 (July-September)
    • Q4 2006 (October-December)
    • Q1 2007 (January-March) or later
    • The PS3 will never make it to market

While Sony has maintained a stiff upper lip on when it will launch the PS3 at long last Sony today gave some updated information on the status of its next-generation Playstation 3 gaming console, probably due in no small part to a Merrill Lynch analyst report <link> that said it expected the PS3 to launch in autumn 2006 in Japan and late 2006/early 2007 in the USA.

As reported by MSNBC.com <link> Sony responded today that they were still expecting to launch the PS3 this spring but haven't announced which regions it will launch in. Apparently delays in PS3 production are the result of unfinished technology standards for some of the PS3 components, like the Blu-Ray DVD drive.

So what do you think people, when will the PS3 actually make it to the North America market so that it can take on Microsoft's Xbox 360? Obviously Japan will get first dibs but since I live in North America I wanted to limit the poll to ask when people think the PS3 will be available for purchase in Canada and the USA (and Mexico too if you want).

EDIT: Changed title from wherefore to where. Unfortunately it is too late to fix the actual thread title. :(

I think they know that Microsoft's built a superior console, so they're stalling in order to sabotage the Xbox 360's assembly line.

That made no sense at all XD

The reason why Sony is so quiet about the actual release date is because they're trying to figure out how they're gonna afford to produce the system. There is a lot of tinkering going on behind the scenes to try to make the system cost effective and I'm sure it's making everyone there go insane.

lolz.... what sony need is a working crystal ball to see how the format wars pan out :p

also @Hai-Wan... when Juliet Capulet was saying "Wherefore art thou Romeo", she was saying "why are you Romeo?", or namely, lamenting that he was from the rival family, the Montague.

thus, "wherefore" means *why* not "where" :)

[/end literature/grammar lesson]

mtfbwya

when Juliet Capulet was saying "Wherefore art thou Romeo", she was saying "why are you Romeo?", or namely, lamenting that he was from the rival family, the Montague.

thus, "wherefore" means *why* not "where"

Really? :doh: Well, I thought it sounded catchy and cool so that's why I used it. I will keep this information in mind if I try to use variations of this phrase in the future as I do like to use correct grammar. ;) So maybe I should have used "PS3, PS3! Where art thou Sony PS3?" and just dropped the -fore.

As far as the launch date of the PS3 goes I believe I've stated elsewhere that if Sony doesn't get it to the North American market by the EOY holidays then they will have a serious hole to dig themselves out of as XBox 360 will no doubt have taken a huge chunk of market share away from Sony by that time. This is critical for Sony and I think they know that so they'll get the job done.

Whoever said "The PS3 will never make it to market". Why not?
My guess? PS3 haters. I try to design a poll to cover all the possibilities and I figured the "PS3 will never make it to market" option would flush out all those who didn't give the issue serious consideration. ;)

I think they know that Micr*soft's built a superior console

:drop2: Have you even see the Xb*x360's stats compared to the PS3?? MICR*SOFT ARE SELLOUTS! They've just sold the same console twice. I have 2 friends with the Xb*x 360 and both say that its pretty much the same as the fist one but the controller wasnt made by the same guy (you know, the blind man with nine-inch fingers?). The only things they're boasting about is the fact that the console can be stored upright and horrizontaly (seen it before in the PS2) and the new controller (the Dual Sho-- I mean the Xb*x 360 controller)

@ Fealiks: Just because something has higher numbers in their stats doesn't necessarily make that console a weaker onsole. The PS3 is more powerful, let me make that clear, I'm just saying that raw power isn't everything. In this generation the GameCube's stats are pretty low, a little more than that of the PS3, yet the GameCube costs less to manufacter than a PS2 and it's so efficient that it's as powerful as the Xbox.

To add to that, Microsofts aren't the only sellouts selling the same consoles... Sony are just as guilty of that with the PS3. I don't care how much more prettier the graphics are, it's still a PS2 on steroids.

And finally, people shouldn't count Microsoft out completely, remember, they have Xbox Live and Xbox Live is superior to anything that Sony and Nintnedo have at the moment. And I don't have much faith in any online network created by Sony since they have such a bad track record already.

About the only faction who has the balls to bring anything new to the table is Nintendo.

....About the only faction who has the balls to bring anything new to the table is Nintendo.

Trueism. As much as I pine for the ps3, it cannot be denied that Nintendo as always they are indeed striving to be innovative. I hope it eventually rubs off on M$ and $ony...but I doubt it

mtfbwya

One thing is for sure, you're going to get some damn kickass Star Wars games on the PS3, simply because it's the console most likely to get you movie style graphics with your gaming experience. They'll play exactly the same as previous Star Wars games on the PS2, etc, but with a Star Wars game, I guess the gameplay takes the back seat to the actual experience.

.... but with a Star Wars game, I guess the gameplay takes the back seat to the actual experience.

indeed, with the possible exception of XWA, of course :)

awesome ext gen SW games = droolism

but what's left to do Lynky ??? Theyve pretty much covered every SW time period and every single genre !!!

mtfbwya

but what's left to do Lynky ??? Theyve pretty much covered every SW time period and every single genre !!!

mtfbwya

How aboyu those new legacy comics? Now That would be an exciting/potencially dangerous area for game developers to venture on to.

@Lynk: Yeah I definately agree with you about Sony's online play. Me and about a googol other people bought the online play doo-dar for PS2 only to see that it completely fails to work. Apperently they have something suspiciously similar to XB*x Live up their sleeve...

Have you even see the Xb*x360's stats compared to the PS3?? MICR*SOFT ARE SELLOUTS! They've just sold the same console
To add to that, Microsofts aren't the only sellouts selling the same consoles... Sony are just as guilty of that with the PS3. I don't care how much more prettier the graphics are, it's still a PS2 on steroids.
:confused: I don't understand what you people are saying here. How are Microsoft and Sony sellouts for making their next-gen consoles?

About the only faction who has the balls to bring anything new to the table is Nintendo.
The way I see it Nintendo doesn't have much choice. Success breeds complacency. Nintendo had their time on top of the hill and then lost it. Now they're at the bottom and they've got to do something to get back into the game. I haven't heard much solid info about the Revolutions h/w specs so I don't know what they're bringing to the table other than their new fangled controller. I wouldn't mind at all if Nintendo set Microsoft and Sony on their ear with the Revolution. :brow:

And as far as the gameplay vs. graphics, I think people get geeked over graphics but when all is said and done the game content has to be good otherwise people won't play it all that much even though the game has great graphics.

:confused: I don't understand what you people are saying here. How are Microsoft and Sony sellouts for making their next-gen consoles?

Xbox360 = Xbox, but more power. PS3 = PS2, but more power. Nothing new. They are sellouts because they know that they can continue to make what is essentially the same product but faster and prettier and the masses will flock to them. They're not bothering to push the envelope and to really explore what could be done with videogames.

The way I see it Nintendo doesn't have much choice. Success breeds complacency. Nintendo had their time on top of the hill and then lost it. Now they're at the bottom and they've got to do something to get back into the game. I haven't heard much solid info about the Revolutions h/w specs so I don't know what they're bringing to the table other than their new fangled controller. I wouldn't mind at all if Nintendo set Microsoft and Sony on their ear with the Revolution. :brow:

And as far as the gameplay vs. graphics, I think people get geeked over graphics but when all is said and done the game content has to be good otherwise people won't play it all that much even though the game has great graphics.

Nintendo's profits have remained pretty much steady over the years and they have a lot of cash in the bank and they suffer no losses. Nintendo doesn't need this huge change in the way videogames are played, the Videogame industry itself needs it. You either try to change the way things are done or you sit back and wait for Halo 5 to come out and GTA 7 and Medal of Honor: Vietnam War (if there already isn't one XD) and of course Madden 2007...

If there is a chance that Nintendo with its new control interface could start a trend that leads to NEW games with NEW concepts and NEW ideas. Then I'm all for it. It's been 20 years and although we've moved from a 2D environment to a 3D environment, we're still playing games as if they're 2D.

....although we've moved from a 2D environment to a 3D environment, we're still playing games as if they're 2D.

lolz...doesnt matter whatD what the environment is in or how fandangled the controller/interface is, as long as you're still playing on your monitor/telly it will always be 2d. Considering even the atari 2600 plugged into the same display, this just shows how this element of gaming really hasnt come along much at all. Some people are lucky to have larger screen TVs/monitors, but the resolution output of the console is limited anyway :(

!! thats why we need 3d projection damnit !!! :D I've read the whacky rumours about the N-Rev and 3d projection (for example), but I am old enough to remember the Virtual boy *giggles* and hope it isnt anything like that.

I was moreso thinking along the line of REAL 3d image projection(not the type that currently exists, requiring the geeky glasses etc). Real 3d image projection, like you see in SW, ST or Serenity, simply does not exist atm

mtfbwya

Like I said before, we are working with 3D environments in videogames. Whether they are virtual or not isn't the issue. My point was that it's time we took another step forward and introduced a device that allowed an actual three dimensional interface because we're capable of that technology at the moment. Just look at your mouse right now. It's evolved a hellova lot over the years but it's still a mouse. An outdated tool that should've been replaced by now by something better. And there are better devices that are in the works which are capable of doing things a mouse could never achieve...

3D projection on the other hand has a long way to go and isn't even worth mentioing at the moment ...

Market share and financial statistics say otherwise.
I haven't paid much attention to the console makers' financial statistics. However I am only talking strictly about game consoles, not the portable game devices like the PSP and DS as Nintendo does quite well in that market segment.

Found the following information about 2005 game console sales and market share numbers on a Mercury News Blog <link>

Sony PlayStation 2 5.51 million 55 percent

Microsoft Xbox 2.40 million 24 percent

Nintendo GameCube 1.56 million 15 percent

Microsoft Xbox 360 607,343 6 percent

Considering that the Xbox 360 was only available (relatively speaking of course :D) for about 2 months of 2005 then I don't think that the Xbox 360 really counts.

Xbox360 = Xbox, but more power. PS3 = PS2, but more power. Nothing new. They are sellouts because they know that they can continue to make what is essentially the same product but faster and prettier and the masses will flock to them. They're not bothering to push the envelope and to really explore what could be done with videogames.
OK, I get it now. To me that's only to be expected from publicly owned companies so I don't really consider it "selling-out." Companies like Sony and Microsoft are looking to maximize profit and only take risks that they think will help them in this effort. They're not thinking from a perspective of pure innovation. That risk has to be taken by an underdog like a private company or small group of individuals with some financial resources to back them. Seems to me, Lynk Former, that you're a gaming purist so I can understand your frustration in not getting much in the way of new ideas from the existing console manufacturers.

Gaming purist? Depends on what your definition of that is I suppose.

YES! I just heard some great news. News that I've been hoping to hear since the Revolution was revealed... There is heavy indie developer support for the Revolution and it's growing... recently it has been revealed that the devkits for the NRV are extremely cheap, 2000USD each in fact. That along with an easy to program console and a brand new interface that allows people to expand their ideas is a great platform for people to create new genres and gameplay methods.

If the trends continue like this we're gonna see a lot of very interesting games soon.

If the trends continue like this we're gonna see a lot of very interesting games soon.

great stuff :)

It's good to know there's something new on the horizon, Not just Halo V, NFL/NBA/NHL 2015 and Final Fantasy XXIII :p (though you'd need a shotgun to prevent me from playing any new FF game at least for a week's evaluation) :p

*waits for 3d projection, practises saying "Red 5 Standing by" for MP online co-op of Rogue Squadron 4* :p

mtfbwya

Archived