Home

[FanFic]Shortie Fics!

Hey guys,

I've had this bouncing around in my head for a while, and I finally decided to write (or rather, type) it out and get it out of my head. Then I thought to myself, why be selfish like that and keep it all to yourself? :xp: So, I figured I'd start a thread and post it. Don't expect it to be continued. At least, not yet.

Enjoy! :D

Reviews are, as always, very welcome.

The rain drizzled down, blurring the sight of the dismal sky overhead. The lights of the Enclave provided a dull, yellow glow to those who were still up, despite the lateness of hour and the enforced curfew the Masters had placed for all under the age of fifteen.

One boy sat up still, in the library of the Enclave, his face illuminated by the blue light projecting off one of the several datapads scattered around him on the table. He half read the white lines of information, watching rather as the sheets of ice-cold rain pressed the green grasses of Dantooine flat against the dirt. In the corner of his vision was a smaller building of the complex, where most of the students resided. He had heard plans of the Masters having the buildings renovated and connecting the main building and the dorms once the winds and rains died down.

“Padawan?”

The boy looked up hurriedly at the woman approaching him. Her white hair gleamed in the faint light, and her matching robes glistened as she moved. The ice blue of her eyes locked with his emerald. “What are you still doing up?”

“Oh…I was just finishing up some research, Master Atris.” he said, making a show of organizing the mess of datapads. “I’ll be done soon, honest.”

“I would hope so, Revan. Master Zhar is worried about your apparent lack of sleep.” she turned from him, returning once more to the entrance of the library. “I’m putting the lights on timer,” she called to him, “Once they go out, I want you to go straight to your dorm, understand?”

“Yes, Master.”

As he heard the hiss of the door slide shut, the boy leaned forward, an elbow on the table and his head in his hand. He ran his fingers through the spiked, brown locks of hair as he picked up one of the datapads. What he was looking for had to be here somewhere.

The past couple of days, one of the more annoying padawans of the Enclave had taken ill, and neither the healers, nor the Masters could quite figure it out. She was stabilized, as of late. Either what she had was far from life-threatening, or she was a true fighter. Whatever the case, the padawan was still far from healthy, and Revan, though seeing her as more of a rival than a friend, worried for her. The disease was still unknown, which meant that anything at all could aggravate her condition.

He scanned the lines of text with a stronger determination and fervor, running through the unimportant details, searching for anything that might sound like it could be her illness. Earlier, several different infirmities had caught his attention, and he had copied the details onto a blank datapad for future reference.

Glancing out the window, the padawan noticed that her window was still yellow with light, meaning that she was still up. Good. Hopefully she would stay up until he was finished, and then his discoveries wouldn’t have to wait until morning. He bent back over the datapads, both elbows now firmly planted on the table, his fingers interlaced behind his neck. This was going to be a long night.

As the hours of the night dragged on, the rains increased and the winds picked up, as they often did. Every once in a while he’d copy some notes before moving on, but he was making slow progress. Noting the time on his datapad, he yawned extensively, stretching his cramped limbs. His elbows and fingers popped as he stretched, trying to work the pins-and-needles feeling out of his legs. No amount of the Force was going to help him finish this work, he mused before setting back to work.

While in its early stages, Dictliphia induces a strong feeling of nausea, enough to keep its host bedridden from most all activities. However, as the disease progresses, pain in the limbs may surface, followed by a feeling of weakness and deep weariness.

Revan leaned back in the chair, kicking his legs up on the table as he read. It was one of the most-fitting articles he had seen as of yet. Surely this is what he’d been looking for! It was a hard disease to detect and was hardly ever diagnosed anywhere in the galaxy, according to the data. It also appeared to be hereditary, though it surfaced more often in mature adults and the elderly than in younger children or teens. He was halfway through the long set of data when the lights of the room went out. Letting out an annoyed groan, he hit the LED light, and continued reading. He only stopped when he heard footsteps outside the door and sensed someone approaching ten minutes later.

“Oh shi--” the rest of his curse was lost as Revan grabbed his datapad, notes, and the one with the info on Dictliphia stored on it. He grabbed the others and quickly chucked them behind a bookcase that would have hidden from view. He too dodged behind a bookcase and fought to control his quickened breathing and to hide his presence in the Force. He figured that if Atris decided to scan the room for Force signatures, he’d be done for. However, if she didn’t see anyone and had noted that the lights hadn’t been activated since the time she had set them to do so, maybe she would leave without further investigating, believing him to have already returned to his dorm. He hoped.

A moment later, he heard the hiss of the library doors sliding open, and caught the light spilling out through the corner of his eye. He could see the Master’s figure silhouetted in the light. He hardly dared to breath as he watched the shadow of Atris’s head swing back and forth, probably searching the room for potential clues that he was still here. In the dark, he hoped she’d find none. He had flung the datapads safely behind one of the bookcases, which would hide them from her view, and she’d hopefully believe he’d put them away. He didn’t move or make a sound, and pleaded with the Force to mask his presence, so she shouldn’t suspect him to still be there…

After five, tense minutes for Revan, the doors hissed shut, and Atris left. He breathed a sigh of relief, starting forward as he felt as if his shaking limbs would give out on him. The wind howled loud and high outside, making him jump. He slowed his breathing, settling himself down as he bent down to retrieve the other datapads, which he quickly replaced in their original spaces. Then, checking the hallway for Force signatures, he darted out the door.

The rain was still falling as he stood at one of the permi-glass entrances of the Enclave’s main building. He looked across at the smaller building of dorms. His dorm was down the hall and up a flight of stairs from where he stood at the door. Problem was, his destination was in the adjacent building, which was locked down tight by now.

Watching the sheets of rain flash down warded off the prospect of stepping outside, but he wasn’t to be deterred. With a deep breath, he keyed the door open, and slipped outside.

Two seconds after he had first exited the building, his robes were soaked through, and the rain was driving the wind from his body. His hair was matted down to the top of his head as he pushed his way through the weather, determined not to be driven back.

Finally, he reached the shelter of a small group of trees that stood just below her window. Looking up, he blinked through the rain that fell on his face and spotted the faint, yellow light that gleamed through the shades over her window. He looked back to the trunks of the trees, discerning which one would best serve his interest. After a moment, he chose two standing near the base of the structure. Running a hand alone the knotty bark of one, he braced himself for a run. Taking in another deep breath, he ignored the water that flew from his drenched clothes and skin as he ran up along the trunk of one, using the Force to help him jump to the next, and then back again to the first, where he grabbed a branch and swung himself up. He was now just outside her window.

He peered through the thin fabric, and discerned a shadow inside as her. The silhouette showed an attractive figure, with curves that perhaps were too mature for her age, and hair cascading down her shoulders, a change from the normal triple ponytail she wore for training.

He tore his eyes away from her movements, and placed the datapad with the needed information on her windowsill, leaving it leaning against the glass. He then bounced from branch to branch back to the ground. Searching the ground, he grabbed a slick stone, and chucked it up at her window.

- - - -

Bastila sat back on her bed, a leg propped in the air. She had been trying to get some studying done, but she felt so blasted weak! And those foolish healers couldn’t even figure out what was wrong with her! She pounded a fist on her blankets, sliding her other hand under her hair and behind her neck as she recited the Code. There is no emotion, there is peace. There is no chaos, there is harmony. These doctrines had been one of the few things that had allowed the young Padawan to retain her sanity over the past few weeks of being confined to her dorm.

She rolled on her side, her hands under her pillow and head, her legs folded close. She felt so tired, and yet couldn’t sleep. So hungry, but couldn’t eat. So bored, but couldn’t hold her attention on something for more than a few moments. She closed her eyes, thinking that, maybe, the sleep that had eluded her all day would finally come.

Clunk

Her eyes shot open, and she propped herself up on her elbows, glancing around. What was that?

Clunk

Now she stood, striding to the window, where two rocks lay on the sill outside. She opened the latch, and swung the pane out, searching the dark ground below. Though, after a moment, it was obvious that trying to discern someone from the shadows would be futile. It was too dark. She was about to pull her head back inside and shut the window again, when she noticed a datapad, its screen flashing, leaning on the glass. She cocked an eyebrow, and nabbed the pad, withdrawing back inside. She hit the blinking link that announced a personal message had been recorded, and quickly scanned the few words that were there.

Hey Bas,

Hope this helps.

Rev

She scanned the attached data quickly, and held the datapad against her chest. This would be her key to getting healthy again! She leaned against the window, smiling broadly. But, who was Rev? It couldn’t be Revan…could it?

- - - -

Back in the rain, Revan looked up at Bastila’s dorm window, a smile playing across his lips, even as his limbs were weighed down with what felt like gallons of water. His job done, he turned from the shelter of the trees, and returned to the main building, ready for a warm shower and his dry bed…

Mission Accomplished.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice little vignette you have here! Like the part where he's hiding from Atris, too. Tense, but totally believable! Used to do something similar when reading in bed with a flashlight, then panicking when I heard my mom coming up the stairs. ;) No need to add to this. It's perfect just like it is!

^Hai Wan, why'd you do that? We need a counter-LIAYD and here you are telling folks Forcefight's a she. :disaprove:lol:

Forcefight, this is a great fic, but I think there are other, more important things your need to focus on. Like a certain plight we all knows and loves. About darkness.

The 's' was put there on purpose

:lol: Well, Hall, I got a custom title, and I don't think too many people will be mistakening me for a 'dude' anymore :xp:

Thanks, guys, I'm glad you liked it! I did actually have fun writting this...a bit of it was from my own experience :xp:

And don't worry, Hall, I haven't forgotten about PoD...I just wrote this to blow off a little steam and to help me work things out for the next chapter. So...yeah...

I outta hit you ;)

Can I help? I've always wanted to give Hall the old smackdown :)

The Fic was nice, and I think that you should turn it into something bigger. Though, you might want to use a different screename, 'cause everyone would flock to it once they noticed the ForceFightWMe12 author thingy :)

^I wouldn't kill you.

>_>

<_<

I'd lock you in a room with a laptop, and the only programs on the laptop would be Microsoft word and a dictionary. Every night I would go into the room, read what you wrote that day, and put enough food to last a day beside the door. Muahahaha!

Archived