Home

New Incentive to Post Mods at LucasFiles.com!

tk102

Thanks to Visac and Darth333, all recent KotOR/TSL mods submitted to LucasFiles.com are now listed at the top of Starwarsknights.com's News Page and on the Featured Mods page.

With a bit more of his magic, Visac will soon turn this dynamic list into an RSS news feed. News of your mod will travel to millions of computers around the world so they can all see the pink lightsabers, the new romance mod, or the wicked Sith mask you've been working on. It's free publicity from the only download site officially endorsed by LucasArts. :thumbsup:

Edit tk102: The RSS news feed is up!

Thanks to Visac and Darth333, all recent KotOR/TSL mods submitted to LucasFiles.com are now listed at the top of Starwarsknights.com's News Page and on the Featured Mods page.

With a bit more of his magic, Visac will soon turn this dynamic list into an RSS news feed. News of your mod will travel to millions of computers around the world so they can all see the pink lightsabers, the new romance mod, or the wicked Sith mask you've been working on. It's free publicity from the only download site officially endorsed by LucasArts. :thumbsup:

Sounds great now all we need is lucasfiles to support ".rar" :D

The only problem I see with LucasFiles is the rigmarole you have to go through to download a file.

I don't want to have to answer that agreement everytime I download a file, thank you. I just want to download the file, not sign my life away.

Other than that it seems to work alright. Could be better, IMHO, but that's me :)

Well, I've definitely taken advantage of LucasFile's ability to upload .rar files now :D

I've just uploaded my Kreia mod as well as some of my past mods and they posted it (them) in record speed :thumbsup:

and now since PCGM is still having problems, it's nice to have another hosting site available. Even when (if) PCGM gets fixed.. LucasFiles will always remain another destination for my mods :emodanc:

The only problem I see with LucasFiles is the rigmarole you have to go through to download a file.

I don't want to have to answer that agreement everytime I download a file, thank you. I just want to download the file, not sign my life away.

Regarding the LucasFiles terms and Conditions, there is nothing we can do about it. LucasFiles is a joint project with LucasArts. I know the T&C look scary but they are just normal. In fact, you do not have any rights to your mods (read the EULA that comes with your game) so you are not giving anything away. On the contrary, you are just regularizing your situation. It's the only place where you can upload LA game mods in a manner not in violation of LEC's policy.

In short, all this legal stuff basically says:

1. LFNetwork is the owner of the site and you cannot copy the site

3. LFnetwork is not responsible for errors in or omissions from the information on the site. There's no guarantee that there will be no interruptions in the access to the site.

4. You cannot post content that (a) infringes on the copyright or any other rights of any person; (b) reveals trade secrets or any information which you have agreed, expressly or by implication, to keep confidential; © includes sexually explicit images, depictions, or content; (d) is obscene, indecent, defamatory, abusive, or otherwise unlawful; (v) contains a virus or any other potentially damaging content; (e) constitutes harassment or stalking [...] (you don't have the right to do this anyways)

5. You made the mods and if any other party is involved, you have the proper authorization to submit the mods.

6. You won't ask LFnetwork to pay you, and you give LFNetwork the permission to use the submitted material.

7. The submission of mods has to be made by a private individual for personal entertainment and not for any commercial purpose.

8. Do not submit material and ideas directly to LucasArts or it will be discarted. Submit only through LucasFiles.

9. You recognize that your mods are in whole or in part derived from Star Wars or other stuff made by LucasArts/LucasFilms and that you have no right, title or interest in and to anything contained in or derived from such material. (They are just protecting what belongs to LA/LEC and telling you that you don't own StarWars).

11. What happens if LFNetwork gets into trouble because of the crap you posted. If LF gets sued because of you, you will be responsible (even without this clause, you are responsible).

12. If someone else steals your mods or part of your mods or ideas you won't sue LF Network or LucasArts or ask them to go after the person.

Oh, I wasn't disagreeing with the terms at all, I just don't like having to agree to it every time I download a file. Once would be enough, I think. If you were logged in properly, that is :D

Also, I wish it were a tad bit faster to upload your mods to the site.

But, I do like that rar files are accepted now, though :D

Regarding the LucasFiles terms and Conditions, there is nothing we can do about it. LucasFiles is a joint project with LucasArts. I know the T&C look scary but they are just normal.

(snip)

In short, all this legal stuff basically says:

(comprehensible bullet points snipped)

Dare I suggest putting such a Layman Version of the agreement on the site along with the Lawyer Version, so that those of us who are not lawyers, or feel like hiring one for the occasion, might know what we are expected to agree with? :)

It would hardly be unheard of, I've recently noticed a trend with providing simpler, more readable terms/licence agreements to encourage people to actually read them. Not many people would read through all that legalese anyway. I tried but gave up halfways, after reading for more than an hour. Most people would either ignore it and proceed, or ignore it and get scared away from the site/product. :)

(By the way, since you didn't mention it, have then since removed the part about it being forbidden to upload material depicting violence? I didn't upload my force power and arena mods there since they are, at their core, all about violence.)

Oh, I wasn't disagreeing with the terms at all, I just don't like having to agree to it every time I download a file. Once would be enough, I think. If you were logged in properly, that is :D

While I do agree that it's a bit annoying, on the legal side it's better that way ;)

Dare I suggest putting such a Layman Version of the agreement on the site along with the Lawyer Version, so that those of us who are not lawyers, or feel like hiring one for the occasion, might know what we are expected to agree with? :)

I'm all for this but I doubt it will happen for various reasons, of them being a matter of interpretation . The current T&C use pretty standard legal wording and if something happens it's much easier that way. I imagine LEC certainly would have a word to say in this.

(By the way, since you didn't mention it, have then since removed the part about it being forbidden to upload material depicting violence? I didn't upload my force power and arena mods there since they are, at their core, all about violence.)

If you are talking about this part:

do not include excessive violence or graphic depictions of blood, etc

KotOR is a PG-13 game which allows some violence. Trust me, your mods are ok (if they were not, they could not be posted on these forums either). Excessive violence would fall in the Mature category. You can use the ESRB rating as a guide: http://www.esrb.org/esrbratings_guide.asp

I'm all for this but I doubt it will happen for various reasons, of them being a matter of interpretation . The current T&C use pretty standard legal wording and if something happens it's much easier that way. I imagine LEC certainly would have a word to say in this.

If you say so, though I can't see what the problem would be to provide a "lawyer readable" and a "human readable" variant on the same page.

(But what do I know, since it seems rather pointless to begin with to force people to agree to a long text you know 99.9999% of them won't read anyway :))

If you are talking about this part:

"do not include excessive violence or graphic depictions of blood, etc"

KotOR is a PG-13 game which allows some violence. Trust me, your mods are ok

I guess my definition of "excessive" violence (i.e. killing hundreds of sentient beings for sport) does not match the legal definition then. :) I suppose I should upload my mods there too, even though they are a few months old, in case PCGM decides to break down completely.

If you say so, though I can't see what the problem would be to provide a "lawyer readable" and a "human readable" variant on the same page.
Problem is, which one supersedes the other if there is an issue.

I guess my definition of "excessive" violence (i.e. killing hundreds of sentient beings for sport) does not match the legal definition then.

Legally speaking, even a horse can be a small bird (fictious case) :)

Problem is, which one supersedes the other if there is an issue.

Logic suggests that a "human readable" sysopsis of the terms should match the "lawyer readable" version, merely summarizing the important parts so people can understand them. Common sense would dictate that a comprehensible overview would be better than nothing at all for people who can't understand the detailed version. The risk of people unknowingly violating the Terms would be lower if they actually know what the terms are, no? :)

Though I have noticed that Law often has little to do with common sense and logic. :)

You certainly are more knowledgeable about this kind of thing than me, so I'll take your word for it and won't question this any further. I merely thought a summary like you posted above might be useful to people who are not reading this topic, too. :)

Legally speaking, even a horse can be a small bird (fictious case) :)

Sounds like a Chewbacca Defense to me. :)

How can I delete a mod from Lucas Files?

I wanted to delete my BloodRayne mod.

I have it available from my own site now, and

I only want it to be available from there.

Thanks!

I'd use the contact form here:

http://www.lucasfiles.com/index.php?s=&action=contact

and just tell them you'd like them to delete it :)

Though as a site owner myself, sometimes it's nice to have alternate download site(s) in case your site goes down or bandwidth allocation, etc.

But that's not for me to decide.. hehehe.. just contact them and I'm sure they'll comply with your wishes :)

I like this idea. More of my mods will eventually get posted at Lucasfiles. I'm glad to see an alternate site to post our mods (I was worried about this not too long ago) since PCGM is still having its problems. Hopefully Sergio will come through, but until then this will work.

• 1 month later...

Archived