Home

Crashed computer blues.

El Sitherino

So I've managed to crash my system again. Chances are however within 12 hours (sleeping included in this time) I should have it up and running.

However, it's still distressing when you watch you system slowly lose life. All those days, weeks, months, years spent customizing and optimizing, and you see it die. Watching it fade, literally fade away, down the drain in one moments slip of the mind, . It's like a crazy cyber child in a way, all that slaving over what is eventually nothing. It just makes you want to kick the **** out of your case, but you know it'd only add to the repair/restoration work.

Anyway, anyone else decide to go extreme with the internals of their computer to see just how much customization and optimizing you could do, and crash your system?

PS: Don't mess too much with process of an OS startup, it only ends in pain.

And I think after I bring it back to life this time, my system will have earned it's name as "BothanSpy". It dies to bring me information.

I'd thought you drive Linux? How the hell'd you crash that to this extend 'cept you caused *hardware wreckage*??

The one fatal flaw of linux, there's a point where too much changing can cause complete and utter instability. I found that point, and crossed it about 4 times over.

Anyway, I slept a little longer than I wanted, and I still don't feel like going and doing what I can to fix it. But I'll have to work at it eventually.

Right now I feel content just eating all of my friends raisins. I'll probably have to leave his wife a note at the bottom of the thing.

I've replaced system files, used a resource hacker to modify my Windows shell, f***ed with my TCP/IP settings (registry tweaks), set group policies (not really a major customization), modified Windows policies (memory management, polling intervals, and classes), and overclocked the hell out of my CPU, RAM, and GPU/VRAM. The only time it's died is when I mess around with the BIOS settings or MBR.

The other night I was on the livingroom XP compy (now that it has the new GPU and RAM that's basically the only computer I'm on), just talkin with a friend on myspace (because he refuses to get aim, msn, yahoo, etc), when all of a sudden a pr0n ad popped up and locked up the system for a good 20 seconds. When it finally closed I had warnings from AVG coming out the wazoo and so much bull**** on the desktop that it aint even funny. After a day of trying to get rid of whatever virus plagued the computer, it finally gave in to the virus and wouldn't boot to windows, or even safe mode. So a fresh install of XP (minus hard drive wipe) is giving me time to back up all the files.

That's what I get for not having a firewall on my high speed connection I guess :(

My desktop likes to freeze every half second. Literally im moving the mouse and every half second it will stutter. Ridiculous.

My fragile reality is now in shambles. I am a shell of what I once was.

internets0es.th.jpg

Is that Tezuka???

PS: Don't mess too much with process of an OS startup, it only ends in pain.

Boy do I know! I remember a few years ago when I tried to edit my Windows XP Start up screen or whatever.... somehow I messed up and got locked out of my computer for like 3 days. Really scary thinking you've lost everything on your computer.

And then like a few months later I DID lose everything on that computer. :p Of well, win some lose some.

The one fatal flaw of linux, there's a point where too much changing can cause complete and utter instability. I found that point, and crossed it about 4 times over.
Oh, didn't know this is impossible in Windows. Must have been something else back in my screw-the-ms-os-days. XP

Also, unlike Windows, you can easily return from that point to a most stable setup, and you are able to repeat that process as often as you want. Since I run Debian it never took more than one hour to get my system where it was before I put it it went down. And as long as you don't **** with the hard disk, you're not even going to lose any data (err.. almost). :p

I think I just ****ed with too much stuff.
That's why you should do one **** after another, just so you don't get confused while doing it, huh?

So..

'No boot' like no boot menu or like kernel panic? X]

Does it reach any runlevel?

However, I'm not sure if the Ubuntu setup offers an option to boot a rescue system, so maybe you should try a Live CD/DVD. I think Ubuntu has one too, but Kanotix *is* ter rul!! :]

I know, because I used it at least half a year due to me being all too lazy setting up a system.

I'm most probably not telling you anything new here, though. But you know me. I talk too much. ;~~~

I'm most probably not telling you anything new here, though.

Nope, nothing new. And if it was a kernel panic I would have fixed it in a faster time than it would have taken me to post. It can't read the OS on the boot menu.

Doesn't really matter, I'm going to take this chance to make my data and OS independent of eachother. OS disk will only contain things for the OS, my other HD's will hold my data (music, movies, pictures, etc.).

Nope, nothing new. And if it was a kernel panic I would have fixed it in a faster time than it would have taken me to post. It can't read the OS on the boot menu.
You ruined your MBR (Master Boot Record). I've only done it once when I installed some Linux distro on my 3rd HD, but accidentally had it write an entry for itself in the same MBR as my Windows installation. Neither Windows nor Linux booted. You must have completely deleted it though... that's the only reason I can think of as to why it wouldn't show up in the bootloader.

Archived