Home

DS Better on 1 or 2 Possible SPOILERS!!

Obi-Wan Baloney

I always thought that KOTOR never really got the whole gist of being "evil." Instead, their idea of Dark Side is "thug hassling people for credits." Although there are a few points in both games where you can truly be evil. For KOTOR I, one of those moments is when facing Uthar Wynn and Yuthura Ban after finishing the final test. Your actions in either betraying Uthar, Yuthura, or both are a good way to flex your dark side muscles. In KOTOR II, I always thought that killing the Jedi Masters was a great dark side act (obviously), especially when you use that special Force Drain on them after killing one of them. All in all, KOTOR II is better dark side simply because in KOTOR I, even though you were evil, you were still doing the Jedi Council's stupid hunt for the Star Maps, while in KOTOR II, it's kind of the Exile's choice to find the Masters, so if you're dark side, it would have been the Exile's choice to hunt down and kill the last of the Jedi. Truly a great path to the Dark Side.

K1? Well, nothing says "I've chosen Evil" like slaughtering over half your party. To go truly low, convince Zaalbar to kill Mission. I heard someone say that it makes Anakin's killing of the younglings look like a kid's movie, and they'd be right. For the most part, though, K1's "Dark Side" acts are a actions of an overgrown crime boss.

K2? Lots more chances to be a sneaky, underhanded bastard. Nar Shadaa's refugee sector is a great place to convince people there is no hope. Not extorting credits, but crushing people right and left without so much as a saber being lit. Onderon? Siding with Vaklu means you sneak, backstab, persuade, and goad the Royalist captains from their posts. Dantooine? You don't have to overtly side with the mercs to be a total jerk. Just a wee bit of sabotage here and there. Telos? Chodo offers promises and asks for charity, Czerka offers a job.

I'd say K2 is best for playing my kind of DSer - someone along the lines of Cigarette Smoker, Servalan, or Sandoval. It's why I tend to picture Exile as Neutral/DS.

(For influence purposes, the "sneaky bastard" options gain you major brownie points with Kreia, while the thug options lose points with her.)

K1 has the awesome cutscene at the end, where you run the entire Sith Empire.

K2 however has also a cutscene too that I see was pretty interesting. It was low-key, showcasing that you have won, and that you are now creating a new Sith Order. You also get to be a sneaky DSer, doing what is needed to be done, by manliputating and sabtogining people.

The example of being DS is in Telos. You can work with Czerka and gain credits that are meaningless due to the fact that you can find equipment anywhere...or work with Chodo in order to make yourself more powerful in the Force, and then, when they are being attacked, force them to give up every last credit in their possession in order to be protected. It's very evil indeed. :)

Also, since in K1, even if you are a Dark Jedi, you still work with the Jedi Order for most of the game. In K2, you are a Lone Wolf, either saving the Jedi Order to find out their seccrets...or hunting the last of them down.

(A note: The reason Kreia is mad at the thug option is because you saved someone, and she hates charity)

Definitely K2.

In K1, the everything you do seems to railroadish when you're on darkside, like you're making choices but the game is basically doing the same thing anyways. On Lightside, the plot flows more naturally. You know: on a mission to save the republic, helping them on Manaan, constantly fighting the sith. In K2, it didn't seem that way, because the grater mission of the game was more dependent on motives than ends.

In K1 too many dark side options were thuggish. Not evil, just *******. Sadistic at times, but rarely thoughtful. There were good times, of course, and even some of the jerk DS options were fun ([stab locker with lightsaber]), but the thoughtful side of being evil was much more well done in K2. Kreia (obviously a major character and influence on you) constantly said "I don't really care what you do, just don't be a jerk and don't be stupid."

Although strictly in regards to the endings, K1 had a cooler cutscene. Overall, I don't think the K1 DS ending was great, but the cutscene was pretty cool, while the K2 DS ending was... non-existent. But the K2 ending sucked no matter how you do it.

Definitely K2. I got so tired of the "Give me all your money or I'll kill you" mentality that BioWare gave the Dark Side. Sith don't care about money, and I think that was portrayed so much better in TSL. Being sneaky, underhanded, and on your own personal quest for power is what the Dark Side is, and that's exactly how Obsidian made it.

yeah K2 definetely! Though the Sandral/Matale feud in KotOR gave me asthma and a siezure at the same time when I made them go kill each other off. it was too funny.

I liked in KotOR 2, as my companions would join in, instead of stand at the sidelines and go 'omg! evil!! don't do that!!' and kreia's voice....sounds like somebody that i work with so it's all the better.

I always thought that killing the Jedi Masters was a great dark side act (obviously), especially when you use that special Force Drain on them after killing one of them. All in all, KOTOR II is better dark side
I agree with this. I love doing the light side on K1 because it's a great story that way. Having the Exile being on the dark side in TSL is a really great story of revenge. I love that you can kill Jedi in TSL in one on one duels. Playing dark side is my preference in TSL, while light side is my preference in K1.

Hmmm. I like the dark side end scene in Kotor1 when you are the head of the Sith empire. And making Zaalbar kill Mission is very evil. And i also think killing Johani and Jolee are evil acts as well for Kotor1.

In TSL the thing I like is being able to corrupt your party with your dark side ways. The act of killing the remaining Jedi Masters is an act of evil as well.

I enjoy playing ds from time to time. :sithk:

Archived