Home

[Fic] "Is this Love?"

"What is love?" I asked my protocol droid, T5. He answered in a series of beeps what I deciphered as a "out of current library, running search" error. But it was a rhetorical question. You can't expect much from a scrapyard droid anyways.

Its always there in the holo-movies and the romantic novels and the usual story feeds they display in the Coruscant Entertainment Centre. I've been there only once or twice, but my fellow Jedi, Tyde who has been posted there tells me all about them.

Love is a strange phenomena. Artists describe it as a beautiful feeling, while scientists shrug it off as natural attraction. I can't place my finger on either camp, especially after I met Raella.

My Master had assigned me to protect Raella, an Taris-based aristocrat's daughter. The aristocrat is in deep connection with the Republic and had requested special protection, which the Order granted without hesitation. And that was the first time I met Raella. She is beautiful, to put it in one word. Beautiful dark blonde hair, moderately fair skin and a smile that made me swoon. There is some mystic charm in her - she seems to absorb me into her. She bedazzles me. I like everything about her, her nimble gait, her playful attitude, her enthralling eyes, her everything.

When I consulted my Master, he told me that it was a natural attraction (the scientific definition, remember?) and that it was perfectly fine. But being a Jedi, I have the capacity to and am required to resist it. I must remember that I am selfless, independent, liberated. I am emotionless. But sometimes I wonder if the Jedi are doing the right thing. I mean, if it makes me feel good, it can't be bad, can it?

I'll admit that I lose my senses when I'm near her, when I talk to her. My heart beats faster than my Master's lightsaber strokes. One time I even started perspiring. She giggled at that and then we stared. We stared for an eternity and I knew she liked it as much as I did. We were embracing each other, drowning in an unexplainable sea, drowning and dying, dying and enjoying it.

Is she bad? Not at all. She's just like me, only from a different background. She's not forbidden love. I am. She can make attachments, but I will fall to the dark side if I keep them. The cost of being a Jedi. If abandoning a force as beautiful as Love is the cost of being a Jedi, then I shun my garb, I shun my blade and take up that one force that unites beings - the one force greater than the almighty Force - the force of Love.

Raella left me yesterday. An incident in Taris requires her father and her to go into hiding. Before she left we gazed into each others eyes and nodded unanimously, and when smiled together. It was as if the grin was so wide, it would tear open my mouth. We spent the night together and I bid her farewell the next morning. She left in her father's luxurious cruiser. She was beautiful.

My Master says it's natural attraction. I don't think so. We're from different species. She is a human, I am a Zabrak. But we like each other. A lot.

Yes, this is love, I said loudly, alone in my room. My droid buzzed the same error again.

• 2 weeks later...

definitely quite good with some excellent musings. the rhetoric is sweet, sharp, and still has a bit of wit to spare. the musings themselves have an excellent detached quality that fits in perfectly. this story isn't a particularly moving story, but it does show off a well thought out take on how the Jedi view love. the story is fairly short, but it isn't a detriment as the pacing is quite well done.

good work. score: 8/10

Nice - I like it. Short, to the point, and it gets its point across without messing about over-explaining it. I particularly like the intimate, yet innocent interplay between Raella and your character, and the bookending of the piece with the very funny stuff regarding T5 :)

My only concern with this is that the grammar is sometimes a little off, but a very good internal monologue, nonetheless.

I liked this, but think that there could have been a bit more detail besides just the physical attraction side of love. Not sure how compatable Zabraks and humans are in that respect either. :s

But overall, it was a cute story with a nice perspective. I imagined the Zabrak Jedi reclining on his bed with his hands tucked behind his head and staring at the ceiling as he fondly remembers his experience with Raella.

Nice work!

I liked this, but think that there could have been a bit more detail besides just the physical attraction side of love. Not sure how compatable Zabraks and humans are in that respect either. :s

Hmm... that's right. It needed more depth. But the thing is that the Jedi is unable to determine whether what he is facing is love, and whether it is good or bad. But yeah, needed more than the physical part.

there is some grammar errors but that's no problem

My only concern with this is that the grammar is sometimes a little off,

Grammar errors? I've never had grammar-related criticism in years (except my Jaden Korr fic, which I wrote on the spot). Any pointers where it went wrong?

"An incident in Taris requires (required) her father and her to go into hiding. Before she left(,) we gazed into each other(')s eyes and nodded unanimously, and when (we) smiled together."

Just a suggestion... My grammar relies on the good ol' "sounds right, sounds wrong" principle=p

Quite a light tale, but probably how the less angsty Jedi would think of love, lol:)

"An incident in Taris requires (required) her father and her to go into hiding. Before she left(,) we gazed into each other(')s eyes and nodded unanimously, and when (we) smiled together.")

Ooh, right. I wrote the fic on the fly, so I prolly didn't notice. :p

Rather enjoyable little story about a Jedi pining away for his love. There were a few grammar/spelling things--using 'an' instead of 'a' in front of a word starting with a consonant, saying "what I deciphered" instead of "that I deciphered", comma usage (or lack). I would agree with the others that it's a little short, and I find the Jedi just a bit underdeveloped as a result. If you give him some more internal dialog or discussion with Raella, it will both develop his character more and add length, which will strengthen an already pleasant read.

Archived