Home

Don't be such a baby!

Rogue Nine

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7015841.stm

Russian mother has 'giant' baby

A Russian woman has given birth to a baby weighing 7.75kg (17.5lbs), more than twice the average newborn weight.

The "little" girl, Nadia, was delivered by Caesarean section at a hospital in the Altai region of Siberia, joining eight sisters and three brothers.

"We were all simply in shock," reports quoted Nadia's mother, Tatyana Barabanova, 43, as saying.

"What did the father say? He couldn't say a thing - he just stood there blinking," she said.

Record weights

All her previous babies had weighed more than 5kg (11lb), a local reporter was quoted by the Reuters news agency as saying.

"I ate everything, we don't have the money for special foods so I just ate potatoes, noodles and tomatoes," added Mrs Barabanova, who had the child on 17 September.

In January 2005, a woman in Brazil gave birth to a baby weighing 17lb (7.73kg), the heaviest boy yet born in Brazil, according to the Brazilian Gynaecological Association.

Among the heaviest babies recorded are a 10.2kg (22.5lb) boy born in Italy in 1955, and a 10.8kg (23.8lb) boy born in the US in 1879 but who died 11 hours later.

baby01vn9.png

emot-psyduck.gif

Good heavens, that's one huge baby. And I thought birthing 8 lb babies was rough.

Baby's so big because mom probably had gestational diabetes, which causes the babies to get really big. If she's sick, it's because her body is too immature to deal with the drop in glucose now that she's not in the womb, but as long as they get that controlled and she doesn't develop any secondary infections, she should be fine in a short time. The IV is standard procedure for a baby this big.

Archived