Home

Now that Mass Effect is coming out/out.....

Devilsfanatic

Is this when we'll be hearing more about BioWare and LucasArts partnership? I sure hope so......from reading Mass Effect reviews, BioWare is still top notch in terms of story and voice acting. They say ME looks so gorgeous visually and they're kicking so much ass that it makes me salivate at the thought of what they can do with KOTOR III. In Mass Effect Raphael Sbarge (Carth) and Jennifer Hale (Bastila) do provide voices too so it'll be fun to hear them again. Judging by what they've done here I have SUCH high hopes in the team to make KOTOR III everything we want.

Well They won't release any new information about the new project until after the holiday season. Nothing until after christmas definately, and since many of them will be on vacation, it probably won't hapen until after the new year. So January for some sneak peak at an ultra secret project they are working on... They will want people to be so ingrained in Mass Effect until after the holidays are over, that they wouldn't let any information out until after the holiday season has finished.

Now to create a massive stir, the best way is to give people a glimpse at a "Secret Project" and without seeming like they are straight giving it to us so as to generate more speculation. What is it? Is it real? Is that a lightsaber in the background(enter the photoshoppers and pixel junkies to enlarge that segment of the screenshot). IT IS A LIGHTSABRE!!! Debate ensues over what it is, and is not, people are frantic to know what it really is, June comes and everyone is frothing at the mouth for some new information. Enter the heros with a huge announcement.... ITS KoTOR <Online/III> Due out September <year>

See how that works?

January: "leaked" screenie of KotOR(esque) MMO showing interface with the player having a gun(no sabre) but just visible in distance a red glowbat....

June: Announcement from LA/Bioware what the project really is(either the MMO, or KotORIII).

Do you have a link to that screenie , of any site ?

Just curious :) what your"re talking about . I tend to surf around game-sites and have not seen that "leaked" material .

Do you have a link to that screenie , of any site ?

Just curious :) what your"re talking about . I tend to surf around game-sites and have not seen that "leaked" material .

There is no screenie or "leaked" material [at least not yet]. He is simply speculating about how it will all go down. And it sounds pretty logical to me. The dates he suggests could be wrong, but that's not the point.

Well They won't release any new information about the new project until after the holiday season. Nothing until after christmas definately, and since many of them will be on vacation, it probably won't hapen until after the new year. So January for some sneak peak at an ultra secret project they are working on... They will want people to be so ingrained in Mass Effect until after the holidays are over, that they wouldn't let any information out until after the holiday season has finished.

Now to create a massive stir, the best way is to give people a glimpse at a "Secret Project" and without seeming like they are straight giving it to us so as to generate more speculation. What is it? Is it real? Is that a lightsaber in the background(enter the photoshoppers and pixel junkies to enlarge that segment of the screenshot). IT IS A LIGHTSABRE!!! Debate ensues over what it is, and is not, people are frantic to know what it really is, June comes and everyone is frothing at the mouth for some new information. Enter the heros with a huge announcement.... ITS KoTOR <Online/III> Due out September <year>

See how that works?

The reviews of ME that I read...weren't as postive. Then again, I always read the negative reviews of games rather than the postive reviews, find out the faults and defects of the games, and see if I can enjoy them WITH its defects rather than not. The criticism of a game is more prized to me than its praises of greatness.

If the reports are true that Bioware recycles its story over and over, then I won't buy KOTOR3...as well as ME. So, likely, the KOTOR series is dead to me, shame. :)

I hope you're wrong. Not a MMO, please.

Well that's why I put the MMO and III in the brackets, to say that it may be either one.

Yeah sorry about any confusion regarding the "leaked" screenshot. It hasn't been leaked as of yet. Of course it could wait until March before the leak. Then June announcement. September of the release year, an announcement they are "Still polishing it up for release". November release....

I've seen a lot of games release.... Tell me I'm not the only one who's noticed this pattern...

I've heard something like this before, from a guy who works at the local gamestop. He claims that certain releases are "test runs" for later games, with similar playstyles/themes. Some of his assertions are a little weird, but he did call the lucasarts/bioware partnership, and he thinks that Mass Effect is, in a sense, a test-run for a KotOR game on the Xbox 360.

It is entirely possible. It would shave development time considerably. Rearrange the story, change the dialogue, reskin everyone, add sabres, it is entirely possible...

Oh and John, I see you use Ubuntu, are you exclusive to linux? I am, and kinda wondering how games are working out...

Yeah, that's kind of what the guy said, especially when you consider some of the really weird weapons in some of the shooters for PS3 and 360. I think he mentioned Resistance: Fall of Man, but I could be mistaken.

sidenote: nah, I only use Ubuntu on my laptop--I just haven't updated my sig pictures since I got my gaming desktop finished a month or so ago. But I do use a windows emulator to play CS on my laptop, and it's actually more efficient than when the same laptop had XP or Vista on it. I still need a Mac.

He claims that certain releases are "test runs" for later games, with similar playstyles/themes. Some of his assertions are a little weird, but he did call the lucasarts/bioware partnership, and he thinks that Mass Effect is, in a sense, a test-run for a KotOR game on the Xbox 360.
That seems rather laughable to me (the latter part)...

That seems rather laughable to me (the latter part)...

Honestly, throw a lightsabre as a weapon, talk about Revan, change the NPC's to KOTOR guys and you have KOTOR III from mass effect. You can use the exact same engine for graphics and stuff and you'll get a gorgeous game. I really really really hope BioWare makes a SPRPG KOTOR III soon because after playing Mass Effect, a KOTOR on the 360 will be a triumphant release for the company.

Well that's why I put the MMO and III in the brackets, to say that it may be either one.

Yeah sorry about any confusion regarding the "leaked" screenshot. It hasn't been leaked as of yet. Of course it could wait until March before the leak. Then June announcement. September of the release year, an announcement they are "Still polishing it up for release". November release....

I've seen a lot of games release.... Tell me I'm not the only one who's noticed this pattern...

There was no confusion. Anyway, your scenario looks quite plausible. And yes, there's a pattern that works like that. However, I find hard to believe that Bioware's Mass Effect is a 'test' on the 360 for a future Kotor.

I wouldnt be suprised at all if it was a MMO, yes I will end up in the hospital from a epillepsy and shock, plus a heart attack and burns on my hand from squishing my computer...but it wouldnt surprise me. A KOTOR MMO would be huge in the industry, the game is already primed (engine) for an mmo, they just need to tinker with the how to insert the story. SOE's license with SWG ends in 08/09 from what I've heard which is around the time people are expecting this mysterious game. SWG will still be around and SOE can still make fixes and such, but they cant say Han Solo went to Rori with Leia. Anyways its confusing.

To be honest I think they should make a KOTOR mmo AND a KOTOR III, but thats a bit unlikely.

I'd like both but as the story I think KOTOR III (non-mmo) would be good, I'd have the feel of accomplishing it instead of the mmo feel where u just do it for the reward and xp. However, a KOTOR mmo would still be great, just not as a way to finish the storyline.

I still have a hard time believing that Lucasarts would essentially kill Galaxies by putting another MMO up against it. I also have a hard time believing that Bioware would develop (and support) two MMOs...

Me too. Developing one MMO is hard enough, two is a bit too much, even for BioWare, to handle. Because the LA-BioWare project is listed seperately from the BioWare MMO, I think it's safe to say the LA-BioWare project is not an MMO, which only raises the chance of a Kotor3 (though I'd still rather have Obsidian for that job).

They wouldnt really be killing SWG, most of the players playig that game now would end up playing both KOTOR and SWG, and if they could get SOE to "publish" or "co-publish" then they could be involved in the station pass allowing one monthly fee to play all SOE station pass games.

Even if they did kill SWG it wouldnt hurt them a ton, KOTOR would be a 1000x the money maker (considering they do it right) while SWg uses money and makes little (still a bit of a profit). Just look at how SOe made a EQ2 and a EQ, both are still very alive and are getting better.

You have to remember that KOTOR III, while great, would be aone time money maker, and a KOTOR MMO would be a 10year money maker because you pay for the initial game then a monthly fee (or yearly depending on which plan u choose).

I point to this link Here its an interesting read.

Thse parts are a bit of rumour poof...

"Such speculation was fueled further by the fact that lead designer James Ohlen performed the same duties on the original KOTOR, and several senior members of the studio worked on the Star Wars MMORPG Star Wars: Galaxies. Also, right around the time of the BioWare announcement, Star Wars license holder LucasArts confirmed that it was approached by developers about an all-new Star Wars MMORPG, but declined to elaborate. "

anyways, perhaps im just being hopefuly

Archived