Home

Return to the "Knights of the Old Republic I" ***Veterans & Noobs Competition '08***

The Source

Return to the "Knights of the Old Republic I" ***Veterans & Noobs Competition '08***

Over the past three to four years, the "KotOR" modding community has created some great mods. Since several of us have departed from the world of "KotOR I", I thought I would ask if everyone would like to "Return to KotOR"? When we first started off modding "KotOR I", PCGameMods.com was the home to at least three hundred mods (estimate). After the site was shutdown, I personally believe we lost some of the greatest mods ever. Even though some of them have homes else-where, I considered PCGameMods.com the home of "KotOR". As we fast-forward fours years, the community of modders is still strong. Every once and a while, one of the veterans will release something they have been tinkering with. Since the release of "NWN 2", "Oblivion", and everything else, "KotOR I" has been overshadowed by new releases. Regardless about where you stand on how successful the "Sith Lords" was, I believe we can all agree that "KotOR I" is why we are here. If it wasn't for the depth and scope of "KotOR I", some of us would not have bought "The Sith Lords".

Would you be interested in running a competition in 2008, which brings everyone back into the world of the original "Knights of the Old Republic"?

Can we upload other people's mods to knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com or lucasfiles.com without their permission? I mean, many great modders just quit and their stuff is lost on their computer (and was hosted at pcgamemods), so if all of us that have some rare file upload them to the other sites the stuff might not be lost forever. Is it legal to do so?

Can we upload other people's mods to knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com or lucasfiles.com without their permission?
I can't speak for LucasFiles (although I'm sure their policies are the same) but KotORFiles does not accept work unless it is submitted by the original author. If they wanted their work hosted there they would submit it themselves.

Would you be interested in running a competition in 2008, which brings everyone back into the world of the original "Knights of the Old Republic"?

I think it's a great idea! Perhaps we could set up some catagories like:

Items (weapons, robes, armor, etc)

Characters (retextures, New NPSs, etc)

Retextures (of modules)

New Modules.

If you want a good baseline, I can provide a "blank" of Korriban (or some other area), and we can see who can concoct the most original new module.

Or, maybe I'm getting a little carried away...........

You can win a... New supercool edited version of Kotor Tool with loads of new functions!! :D Or wait, that might be illegal, to edit someones work.. :/ Well, you could make your own tool for editing kotor, maybe a dialog editor or a script generator with loads of functions exclusively for the winner :)

And for categories, all I can think of is:

Items (Weapons, Clothes, Armbands e.t.c.)

Characters (New NPC, Recruitable NPC)

Dialog edits (Changes of dialogs in Kotor, for example Allronix dlg pack or something smaller)

Modules (Custome modules, based on existing modules)

New Modules (Completely new modules, made by magnuslls tools or other tools, modules made from scratch)

Skins/Reskins (Skins for characters of items)

You could potentially have a category for most anticipated KOTOR I mod? The Temple Mod, Courasant Mod, etc.

Although now that I think about it, I'm not sure how many more KOTOR I mods are in the works...

Edit: Ooooh the Recrutable Kai (spelling?) mod! Well that's three...

It would be great to see more mods focused around K1. I think that the focus on K2 has gotten a bit heavy.

Seeing more new modules would be even better. I think Quanon's Temple would probably get first-prize for my most anticipated mod. I'm still trying to wrap my hands around new area creation, but it is a bit much for me. I'm more of a writer than a modeler.

Archived