Home

[tsl] KOTOR: Revenge of Revan

logan23

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow.... spent the last 6 hours fighting sleep to finish reading thru the thread. Heh, now I am so tired I dont think I will be able to sleep :p

Then, I simply *had* to register just so I could voice my support. I was compelled to based on how this all made me feel... inspired.

Thank you Logan, RedRob, and the whole team for putting so much time, thought, passion, and effort into creating this. Just reading the thread has been like experiencing some new in-game content. What I have seen here is frankly amazing. I hope when all is said and done you all get the well deserved recognition and fulfillment that such an ambitious and epic project should bring :)

While I am very excited about the possibilities and potential, and can hardly wait for the chance to dig into it, please.... take your time, don't rush. What you're doing is art, and you deserve to be satisfied with it before sharing it. Especially because youre volunteering all this.

Please be sure to post more info when you are looking to seriously collect audition samples for VO content. I am very interested.

Bless you all, and thank you so much for your work!!

• 2 weeks later...

Although I just joined the forums, I've been following this project for a pretty long time. I know this is going to be an amazing mod - if I can even call it a mod. I would say something inspirational, but this guy^^ took the words right out of my mouth! I'm sure I'm not the only one wanting updates but I'm not pushing anything... keep it up! You guys are awesome.

Hey everyone!

I want to first off and say thanks to Dak Drexl, Vordyn_Kael, and everyone else who has supported this project. The team and myself would like to say thanks.:)

I have a few pics for you all and the next Dev Blog!

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
k200096.jpg

Show spoiler
k200093.jpg

Show spoiler
k200078.jpg

Show spoiler
k200103.jpg

Show spoiler
k200107.jpg

Developer’s Blog 4.0

In this developer’s blog we will look at the struggles in building a large mod like Revenge of Revan.

When taking on a project which not only adds a new story but also involves new planets can be a bit over whelming at first. To build something like this you first have to understand the game’s mechanics and understand what the limitations are for the game engine. I can not over stress this since many times we get caught up with non game mechanic details. The end goal is to make the Mod work with little to no bugs.

When I started to build this mod I had to learn how to connect modules, skin them so you can reuse the same module again if you wish to and get my head around the world of scripting. My brother is a programmer so I had a academic understanding of code but writing it is something totally different since one little mistake can cause you to spend 10 minutes trying to figure out why the script will not fire like you wanted.

There is a learning curve. This is something you always think will be a few weeks but it ends up longer. I discovered that it took me about 8 months get past mine. Those were 8 hard months of making mistakes and breaking down how the game is put together in the mechanics. After awhile you will get the hang of it.

What I did to limit bugs and issues was to not re-invent the wheel. I focus on simple basic scripts which help out a lot. I say unless you are a natural at scripting, keep it simple.

Examples from my RoR’s production….

Everyone knows that Malachor V is in RoR and when building the planet and placing the quests into the planet I had a major issue. I had two slight versions of Malachor V since you can choose if kotor2 ended with light side or dark side endings. I first tried to script the planet so I can have it fire spawns of certain npcs depending of the ending of kotor2 but then there were some bugs plus if I wanted to try to push both versions to be a bit more different from each other that created more scripting issues. The conclusion was to create 2 versions of certain modules. One version was for light side kotor2 ending and the other was dark side kotor2 ending. This may have added more modules to the size of the mod but it also removed any issues of bugs related to this problem.

Be flexible in your production of the Mod. There will be cut content just because of the limited resources. Have a core plot and allow planets to develop as you build them, don’t lock yourself in a corner due to your writing.

As a former construction manager and a back ground in graphic design I knew that when building a project this size you have to have a project schedule. This is not a schedule in the form of a dead line but a schedule to know that certain things will hold up the production of other areas like VOs.

Now I will go into how you can build most of the mod all at the same time without waiting for one area to be done before another. This is all part of production meaning you already decided on which modules will represent which planets and the core plot is done even if the script/dialogues are not finalized.

You can start npc placement by taking the module which you are going to use even if it’s not re-skinned and get the location of the core NPCs. These would be merchants, quest givers, and any other important characters or place able.

You can even place dummy dlg in them stating if they are selling something or they want to give you a quest or even play pazzak.

One thing I have learned it means a lot to have moving NPCs. You can select a few to either have random walking and random re-walking after you talk to them or you can have the waypoints setup.

While you’re doing this you can be connecting and building the actual real in-game modules. You change the waypoints and transitions to match the way you want the planet to be connected.

I do agree when building the game to build from the first module when it comes to content but you can jump around to another planet for things like npc placement and skinning. This is good to do incase you get bogged down or feel like you need a fresh new area to play with to increase your drive in the project.

Take a lot of notes! I have notepads filled with notes and the XYZ locations of just about every npc or place able there is that was new. Note pads are also great to plan out quests and you can then make a list of waypoints needed as well as script to use to make the quest active. Again don’t worry about final dialogue or lip-synch. You can place in dlg with the scripts that will fire when the PC decides on a choice in the dlg. By doing this you can test it and see if it fires correctly. Later you can place in the final dialogue and then the lips.

After all this is done you can then merge them into the in-game module to test where you can play the module and check for early balance issues. This is also where you can place in the proper dialogue. Once all of this is working…..then comes what I call pre-beta.

Pre-beta is where you have someone play through the modules and give feed back. Now remember there is still more npc fillers need to be put into the modules as well as any re-skinning of the module if you have not done it already.

Once the pre-beta of that section is done and tested you can then finalize dialogue and move to placing lip synchs and get VOs created. This is also where you might tweak scenes and quests. Plus the feed back can be great in having them suggest ideas for quests or npcs that would be fun to see in the module.

Then after this comes Polishing and then Beta testing of all the sections of the Pre-betas as a whole game. After looking at the feedback for the testers you can do the proper tweaking plus game balancing…..which leads you can move to final polishing.

Game assets like new skinned armors, light saber hilts, and weapons can be introduced as late as Beta testing as well as Final Polishing. Tweaking the module’s skins can also be done late since they will not affect the game’s mechanics.

As for Bink movies these can even be done during the final Polish or after since all you need is a dummy movie to run when you want one to play just to make sure the game runs proper. Once the Bink movie is ready it can easily be slipped into the game causing no issues since you had a marker placed in the scripting till the proper asset is finished.

One last note on scripting, create a word document in place any scripting that was using in your mod so you can always jump back to the word document to find the script that you wish to tweak and re-use. Also search Lucas forums for scripting issues and when you come across a script that you know you will be using or will need for reference, copy and paste it into your word document so you have a library of scripts to look at to help you build the script you will need for your quest building, cut scene. Etc.

If you have any questions on this Blog or wish to hear more detail on a certain part of it feel free to ask in the Forum and I will see if I can help answer or clear anything up.

For more details on Revenge of Revan you can join the Public Social Group.

http://www.lucasforums.com/group.php?groupid=153

Coming soon.... another Modcast with something special for all you guys:thmbup1:

MORE TO COME.....

Logan

Wow logan! Those pics look really nice! This mod is coming along really well, kudos to you and the whole team.

Your developer blogs are extremely informative as to the process and work that goes into a project of this scale, and they're a good resource for anyone who is thinking of trying to make a TC.

Methinks new members could read them and we'd get a few less "I want to make a TC with no effort threads"

:D

Nice, very nice! This should be MUST read material for all the rookies who want to do a major NEW kotor 3. :lol:

Really, this is golden stuff, not overly negative, as is often the response to youngsters(in modding, not in age ;) ) who want to do something big.

Of course, congrats on the steady progress of this mod, that only is awesome.

The screenshots are really getting nice. The reskins look ace and have a good style.

Not a randome mess as is often the case. Might be victim of that my self, now I think about it. But nevermind my ramblelings, carry on :)

Everything looks great! I have just one question:

Is the Sith Lord on the menu screen you have up there going to be THE sith lord, or is he a work in progress?

Yeah, he's an earlier version that Logan was playing around with, but decided to drop. I've been working on the replacement (too slowly though :fist:), but I don't know how to make him appear on the menu screen.

Yeah, he's an earlier version that Logan was playing around with, but decided to drop. I've been working on the replacement (too slowly though :fist:), but I don't know how to make him appear on the menu screen.

Whatever you've got up your sleeve, I'm sure will be great

Is there some way you could label them as the pc and trick the game into thinking you had beat it on Dark Side? That's probly a stupid idea but I thought I'd ask just the same.

I need to buy a new computer as I no longer have one because I have wanted to play this TC since the thread started!

I've done a bit of searching around, and found that there are several seperate models named "mainmenu01.mdl", "mainmenu02.mdl", etc. The one that shows up is determined by a value in the swkotor.ini file (called "CurSithLord"). Each model has the black floor, black background with green stripes, the character (with unique animations), Aurora lights, and fog.

Stoffe explains a bit in this thread.

I suppose that if we had a script of some kind that changed the CurSithLord=4, then the player character would show up. The model it uses is mainmenu05.mdl and IIRC it only has the background, floor, lights, fog & Aurora base. I don't know yet how it chooses the player, but if it can find one line in the appearance.2da, then it might be able to find another (say our badguy). But, maybe it gets the appearance from the savegame info?

I know this was a while ago, but I was looking through the thread and thought this was interesting:

In the game Kelborn will only be able to wear mandalorian armor.

I'm looking for any mandalorian fans out there that can re-skin.

My task for you who are interested, is to create some cool mandalorian armor for Kelborn to wear during the game, PM me.

Did anything come out of this? I also think some custom mando armor for Cassus Fett would be cool. He makes an appearance if I'm not mistaken?

Did anything come out of this?

Actually, I've done a full appearance set for Kelborn. Here is the post with his underwear:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2580855&postcount=436

Here is the post with his regular clothes:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2604787&postcount=464

And I've done a whole bunch of Mando armours (including Kelborn's), but I'm not naming names just yet ;). Here's the post with some samples:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2589652&postcount=451

Hey,

I'm glad you all enjoyed the latest Developer's Blog:)

@Dak Drexl: When I was first building the game I didn't know what would be the limitations so I idea was to keep Kelborn in Mando armor. But then Redrob created the actual skin and face of Kelborn which removed that limitation.

Kelborn now (thanks to redrob) will be like any other human party member where he will be able to wear mando armor as well as any other type of clothing.

I also think some custom mando armor for Cassus Fett would be cool. He makes an appearance if I'm not mistaken?

Cassus Fett does make an appearance in RoR.

That is all I can say on Cassus:)

I've done a bit of searching around, and found that there are several seperate models named "mainmenu01.mdl", "mainmenu02.mdl", etc. The one that shows up is determined by a value in the swkotor.ini file (called "CurSithLord"). Each model has the black floor, black background with green stripes, the character (with unique animations), Aurora lights, and fog.

That and the other news on this topic you sent me is sounding great!

Keep up the great work!!

The next Modcast will be released near the end of the Month

MORE TO COME.......

Logan

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update. Since my modding time has been sparse as of late, I've only managed to squeek out some head re-colours. For me, these have been quickly put together, and I probably won't do much re-moddelling. The only one that I'll do some significant re-moddelling to are the PFHB05 Kiffar heads (so that one will have the default pony tails, and the other will only have braid rows).

Here are some thumbnails from a working directory (sorry, no in-game screenies):

picture.php?albumid=557&pictureid=5944

Nice! I really like the Mando skins, not only changing the color, but adding new designs and making the helmet not even look like a Crusader one (like the 1st one and the last one).

Yeah, I played around with the models a fair bit. By doing it this way, they can be disguise items, and I won't have to worry about hair clipping through oversized helmets. I really like the last one too, especially with the glowy blue :D. I tried to make the helmet look a little bit like Rohlan Dyre.

Great stuff Redrob! Any chance you have sexy skin for a chiss. Been awhile since I did a sexy render ;)

Not yet :naughty:

Hey everyone!

I know it has been sometime since I have had an update.

This will be a mini update to be followed by something larger very soon.

Redrob41- I want to say first that those skins look awesome!!!

I want to first tell you guys what I have been working on for the past few weeks.

I recently played the game Mass effect 2 which was a great game and I also started to study how they stream lined the game to make it more seamless. I know there are some debates on wither they went to far on some of the changes but for this conversation I will be talking about how can this be done with Kotor2's game for Revenge of Revan.

Some of the ideas and features came from problem solving and others had roots in making it more streamlined due to the limit resources.

I have spent the past week and half working how to bring Revenge of Revan's world to life as well as make it something new and different.

I also just read a article that talked about game design/production and how you always want to focus on the fun factor. This leads to some areas that Revenge of Revan will be working on:

Keeping a fun factor which means not space gun mini games. I want to take what is frustrating in Kotor2 and tweak or remove sections of it in order to make RoR more Fun and better streamlined/balanced.

Another area is immersion, I want you to not only feel that RoR is part of the same universe as kotor1 and kotor2 but also take it a step further by making RoR its self feel like a bigger world where there are many different systems that make up the Republic

The last is problem solving which is used to deal with the limited resources and help ground the game's story, and mechanics.

I have a Modcast just about ready for release but I'm waiting to add something special for everyone and this is why the Modcast has not been released yet.

I will let you know that I'm changing the Light saber creation system which I first built. After a discussion with a team member of mine I decided to tweaked the system so its more fun and more easily balanced. This Light saber creation system 2.0 will be built in the next week or two. Once i have it tested then I will release information on the new 2.0 version.

Another think that will be tweaked is the Dialogue system. This is nothing technical but the dialogues will work on two levels. You will have the regular kotor2 dialogue system where you can go and pick large selection of responses but there will be something new.

Gone is the do something violent equals dark side points and do something like give money to someone is light side points. I have developed a new way of looking at this in the form of player's motives. This means you can do good thing that manipulate a NPC and gain dark side points. The system will be more in the Grey so the PC will not be considered a Jedi or Sith but more like a Jedi or Dark Jedi. I won't get into the detail right now I would rather show you guys the system in action and....... to the question will the player get confused and pick the wrong choice where he wanted to help and ended up manipulating....No this system will be easily used and the player will always know what they are doing in the conversation and understand what choices they are making in the scene.

I will end with this,

I will be releasing a layout for building dialogue in Microsoft Word that will help with anyone doing a project like a large story mod or even if its a recruit Mod. I found it very helpful especially when it come to party member and quest related NPCs. This is just a system that helps with the organization of long multilayer Dialogues. This will be released by Sunday.

One more thing .....

I would like you guys to tell me what did you find in kotor 2 that needed tweaking, removed or added that would make it more fun or balanced. Please don't mention anything that involves changing/altering the game engine....these have to be areas which a modder could tweak.

Thanks

MORE TO COME.....

Logan

I would like you guys to tell me what did you find in kotor 2 that needed tweaking, removed or added that would make it more fun or balanced.

There's a problem with characters expression emotion in KOTOR2 - mainly because we've all seen the same animations used over and over again. Adding animations would be difficult but since adding in animation has been shown to be possible - i.e. savvy30039's lean animation for the TSLRP. If she could post a tutorial here, perhaps a team could work on a new supermodel that has more animations. A project like this will help not only your mod but the entire KOTOR modding community at large. (BTW folks, please don't turn this mod thread into a "I'd love to see such-and-such animation added to KOTOR2 as there's already a (inactive) thread on here that discusses the same topic.

Another request, please ensure that all of your NPC' party members acknowledge each other in the dialogue all the way through your mod. How often do others either refer to or talk directly to Bao-Dur in K2, really? There's probably other examples but I can't think of any at the moment. When party NPC's talk to other people in the scene as well as your PC, it makes a scene come alive! Your character is now really part of scene and not merely in a series of one-on-one conversations.

Archived