Home

EA to acquire Take-Two

Pavlos

EDIT: And it would seem that T2 answer was a sound: NO! Thankheavensforthat!

Nah. It's a standard: "I am waiting for you to offer me more money to sell my company, so give me it." Still, merger may fail. Who knows? I remember the good old Microsoft/Yahoo talks. Still do.

I don't know. I sorta don't care about EA or hate it as much as anyone else. I do however hate Take Two ruining the GTA series with repackaging the exact same game, and then possibly taking out the fun out of GTA IV (which was, running around killing people with massive tanks and absurd weaponary).

After the assimilation comes the replicas: I smell Bioshock 2?

I do however hate Take Two ruining the GTA series with repackaging the exact same game

Considering EA is still EA (Let me emphases: Electronic Arts), would be they of any good to the franchise? I mean, it would be unacceptable for Rockstar to take so much time making GTA IV.

Considering EA is still EA (Let me emphases: Electronic Arts), would be they of any good to the franchise? I mean, it would be unacceptable for Rockstar to take so much time making GTA IV.

At least then EA would be honest with their repackaging than Rockstar would be. That has to be a good thing. (I'll keep a cynical view of GTA IV until it comes out, and then if it is good, then I'll revise my view. Not before.)

Actually, one good thing that could come out of an acquisition is Ken Levine and the System Shock licence both being in the same place. Then again... bring back SHODAN for a third run and I reckon she'd cease to be one of the best villains of all time and simply get thrown on the comic-book villain scrap heap.

I doubt there will ever be a full blown monopoly and if there is it won't last for that long. Too many game designers are in it for the art and the fun. A monopoly leads to stagnation; it has to reason to be creative as it itself is the only player it can compete against. So if companies infringe on their creativity then you can expect to see independent developers/publishers splintering off.

Anyway, I'd imagine the European Union/Congress would intervene to preserve the free market, wouldn't they?

• 6 months later...
Anyway, I'd imagine the European Union/Congress would intervene to preserve the free market, wouldn't they?
The EU probably will, but Congress in the U.S. is a bit more, uh... "corporately inclined" when it comes to mergers. Case and point: they allowed Sirius and XM Satellite Radio, the nation's only two satellite radio providers, to merge, thus creating a monopoly.

Did anyone hear? EA is having a new corporate headquarters being built:

RPD04-BorgCube.jpg

Archived