Home

Israel Caught Spying on America

SilentScope001

^

GREED.

Being our bed buddies, they're not going to attack us or anything, but being the only truly pro-America nation in the middle east, they are quite literally our face in that section of the world. Because of this, what they do reflects back on us really, really quickly, and from the Arab world's opinion of them, generally badly too.

You do have a point there....

Which it does a wonderful job of NOT trying to get along with by blowing up civilian population centers to kill like, 5 terrorists. Yeah, they give real good reason to be left alone.

Yep. I agree that they shouldn't be left alone. We need to catch who we need to catch.

If we just exploited our own "fossil fuels", we'd probably not have to import any oil or gasoline. Since the infrastructure exists for those, it'd make more sense to go there first while we look for viable alternatives to develop to replace them with down the line.

Yeah, that too. The point is that the US relies on the Middle East by choice, not by necessity.

And really, could they have picked any better allies than Israel, a country which most people in that region despise and have vowed to destroy, and Saudi Arabia, where most of the 9/11 hijackers were from? Excellent choices there. But enough of my seemingly-irrelevant tangent. ;)

Anyway, last I checked, Israel doesn't have any oil; in fact, they buy most of their oil from Iran. So even that motive makes absolutely no sense.

You ignored the whole point about that they'd almost certainly nuke the hell out of the Middle-East if they saw their own end in sight.

And we're allied with Israel because it's the right thing to do, not because we're hoping to get anything out of them. Besides, we've still got some of that "Whoops, sorry, we let six million of your people get gassed."

Yeah, that too. The point is that the US relies on the Middle East by choice, not by necessity.

And really, could they have picked any better allies than Israel, a country which most people in that region despise and have vowed to destroy, and Saudi Arabia, where most of the 9/11 hijackers were from? Excellent choices there. But enough of my seemingly-irrelevant tangent. ;)

Anyway, last I checked, Israel doesn't have any oil; in fact, they buy most of their oil from Iran. So even that motive makes absolutely no sense.

Hypocritical, yet crafty. In their vernacular, chutzpuh.

Yep. I agree that they shouldn't be left alone. We need to catch who we need to catch.

Half of me says they should be left to their own devices, the other half of me says that they should be better kept under our thumb. If they're gonna be our face over there, they're gonna behave themselves.

You ignored the whole point about that they'd almost certainly nuke the hell out of the Middle-East if they saw their own end in sight.

And we're allied with Israel because it's the right thing to do, not because we're hoping to get anything out of them. Besides, we've still got some of that "Whoops, sorry, we let six million of your people get gassed."

No, we're allied with Israel because after WWII, the US was the only nation to truly have the manpower or the desire to enforce the establishment of the Israeli state by the UN. Europe doesn't really care one way or the other, though Europe never did like anyone they didn't feel was European, or of the particular European country in question.

And Israel does not have that kind of nuclear arsenal. Israel is ranked as "possibly nuclear armed", meaning they can get one or put one together in a hurry, but there's no huge stockpile waiting to launch.

I think you mean that "officially" there is no arsenal to launch. Whether they actually have 400 or so missles/bombs/devices at a (not-so-)secret facility is not "officially" confirmed. But actual US-Israeli history is not one of military alliance from that countries inception. Truman officially supported the recognition of Israel w/in a day of it's proclamation of nationhood. What we currently think of as the US_Israel relationship didn't start till MUCH later (late 60s-70s).

I'd be willing to bet money that as we speak, there are American spies in just about every country on Earth, including staunch allies like Britain, Australia, and Israel.

To be a 'staunch ally', one needs to be co-operating willingly. There's also the need for reciprocation.

I believe you meant "vassal states". :)

Um, about the whole Israeli spy thing, from the Israeli Ambassador to the UN, Dan Gillerman:

Gillerman also was asked about another topic involving the U.S. government and Israel: the arrest last week in New Jersey of an 84-year-old man accused of passing U.S. weapons program secrets to an Israeli agent a quarter-century ago.

Retired U.S. military engineer Ben-ami Kadish faces charges linking him to the same now-defunct Israeli intelligence agency that used Jonathan Pollard, who is serving a life sentence for spying for Israel.

Gillerman called it "a very old matter."

"It pertains to something that may or may not have happened 25 years ago" and would be decided when Kadish goes to trial, he said.

In the wake of the Pollard case, the ambassador said Israel had made a pledge not to spy on the United States, "and that is something which I know that we have honored completely."

Source

If Gillerman is telling the truth, great. If not, eh.

Archived