Home

Revan vs. Thrawn

DAWUSS

Revan vs Thrawn? good gosh, that would make such a flipping awesome piece of media. it makes me want to cry when i realise that the chances of that happening are incredibly minute... except for tales.... TALES!!*

@thread: i have a feeling thrawn would win. by a hair's width.

apart from that, i completely agree with Corinthian's second hypothesis.

and if i'm not mistaken, i do believe this is a battle between two of the biggest sues in sw existence yes? heh. awesome.

*now please excuse me while i go cling to this pathetic hope that will never happen

all of you guys saying the force doesnt matter? what about bastillas battle meditation? that affected entire fleets. revan could probably predict a few seconds or maybe even minutes before thrawn did something. i think thrawn is every bit as brilliant a tactician as revan but thrawn can not use the intuitive entity that is the force. i think it would be an incredibly drawn out fight and IF revan won he would baaaaaaarely win. all of this of course is just IMO im not saying any one else is wrong.

**SPOILER ALERT** - if you haven't read "Outbound Flight" and don't want to be spoiled, don't read the rest of this.

Thrawn totally dominated Jorus C'Baoth, only to be nearly killed through holo when Jorus turned to the darkside. This says two things two me:

1) It doesn't matter if you're a Jedi - Thrawn's tactical skills were amazing enough to the point where being Force-sensitive isn't enough to overcome.

2) It doesn't matter how tactically skillful Thrawn is - a force-user can always fall back on manipulating the force to achieve his or her goals.

Those are at odds, obviously. Also, C'Baoth was powerful, but there was never any indication he was nearly as skilled as Revan as a military tactician.

There was much to indicate that C'Boath had little to no military expertise, anyway. He was arrogant and drove his unsinkable Titanic right into an iceberg.

That being said, behind fleets Thrawn would have the advantage. Hand-to-hand, Revan would likely be more physically fit. Person to person, Revan could crush Thrawn with the Force unless Thrawn was clever enough to trick Revan into some sort of stunning defeat.

There was much to indicate that C'Boath had little to no military expertise, anyway. He was arrogant and drove his unsinkable Titanic right into an iceberg.

That being said, behind fleets Thrawn would have the advantage. Hand-to-hand, Revan would likely be more physically fit. Person to person, Revan could crush Thrawn with the Force unless Thrawn was clever enough to trick Revan into some sort of stunning defeat.

Agreed, Jorus C'baoth demonstrated no strategic prowess, or little other useful knowledge aside from being a thorn in Thrawn's side. It may be possible, that if Thrawn had just eliminated C'baoth, then he could've been victorious against the Rebel Alliance. C'baoth was a big problem indeed for Thrawn.

Also, agreed that Hand-to-Hand combat would definately be a Revan win, but strategically, Thrawn wins, it's almost unfair on that part...:D

Joruus C'boath himself (the clone) also had no military experience. The fact that he [the clone] thought that this was of no consequence was probably a result of the clone's insanity.

• 1 month later...

i think people are forgetting the difference between the wars revan fought and the war thrawn fought

thrawn was undoubtedly the better tactical commander but i believe that revan was the better stategic commander to put it otherwords in war ou typically have a general on the battlefield (could be a lower rank ) they are the tactical commander they are responsible for the tactics on the battlefield they change and adapt to the field of battle as it happens this is the sort of general thrawn is portrayed as.

revan on the other hand is portrayed more as a strategic general the one who manages the war not the battle the startegic planning for a war is typically done very far from the battlefield it is far more static it involves heavy uses of logistics and impartiality revan supposedly had direct control of a third of the republics fleet he likely fought multiple battles simultaneously without actually being anywhere near the battlefield

this is the crux of the difference i suspect that in a direct confrontation between the two we would end up with a stalemate if its a direct single confrontation i think thrawn would win he would suffer apocalyptic loses however (i believe revan would be quite capable of the feet that the cloned cboath was used for the enhancing of the individual soldiers coordination and efficency indeed i doubt half the premise of bastila in kotor as battle meditation was a feat quite within reach of many jedi masters my take on it is that she is merely unnaturally skilled in it like corran horn and his natural skill in illusions and mental suggestion there is also the fact that revan was a known master of battle precognition. though my belief of the power is that it is far more useful in a strategic sense kotor 2 showed it being used in a much more tactical manor) ultimately i believe thrawn would win in a straight out matched confrontation

however in a prolonged war as such i think revan would claim victory thrawns major gift is his situational brilliance and insight the fluidity of his tactics without him being everywhere i suspect revan would destroy the man in a war of attrition he would bleed his armies dry as that is where i see revans brilliance being in the application of generals not in the directing of a battle. so ultimately id say revan and thrawn are the two greatest examples of the corrosponding types of generals in the starwars universe,

this is my opinion but as it is likely that the kotor comics will try making revan into a tactical commander it is likely to change irrevocably

• 4 weeks later...

Revan would win. Thrawn is at a severe disadvantage. He needs to examine art that the person created or enjoyed to figure out somebody. What do we know of what Revan likes or dislikes in art?

If Malak had not betrayed Revan, then it would have only been a matter of time before Revan conquered the Republic. Revan's disdain for superweapons is far more than just dislike of using the Star Forge. There are refrences that freshly created Derriphan-class battleships were part of Revan's fleet during the Jedi Civil War and that means that Revan must have had the blueprints for them and with those blueprints came the blueprints of the Corsair.

I think they're too similar in mind and opinion to fight each other. I bet they'd would end up good friends. But if I had to choose, Revan. You can't look past the fact that he has the Force on his side, and would have many Force abilities that would give him an advantage in strategic battles and in war.

Revan would win. Thrawn is at a severe disadvantage. He needs to examine art that the person created or enjoyed to figure out somebody. What do we know of what Revan likes or dislikes in art?

It doesn't matter what Revan's art choices were. Thrawn was a brilliant strategist and tactician. He didn't need a species art to create a strategy, but it provided him a great insight into the way a species would react.

Also, about the idea that Revan would be superior based on his ability and understanding of the force, Thrawn understood the force pretty damn well. With only base knowledge of the force, he solved force related problems that had stymied people for years, (i.e. using ysalamiri to solve speed cloning problem) and without the force, defeated Jorus C'Baoth, a master who was very skilled in the force, twice.

I think they're too similar in mind and opinion to fight each other. I bet they'd would end up good friends. But if I had to choose, Revan. You can't look past the fact that he has the Force on his side, and would have many Force abilities that would give him an advantage in strategic battles and in war.[/Quote]

I completely agree with that. In the two wars they fought, they both had the same goals. Thrawn was fighting to secure the galaxy against the impending attack of the Yuuhzan Vong, and Revan was fighting to unite the galaxy to prepare it the threat of the "True Sith".

Also, about the idea that Revan would be superior based on his ability and understanding of the force, Thrawn understood the force pretty damn well. With only base knowledge of the force, he solved force related problems that had stymied people for years, (i.e. using ysalamiri to solve speed cloning problem) and without the force, defeated Jorus C'Baoth, a master who was very skilled in the force, twice.
There's a big difference here, though. Even if you don't consider Revan Thrawn's equal in strategy and tactics, he at least came close to it, and this, combined with his Force talent, made him a much more capable person than C'Baoth, who merely was a clone of a Jedi Master. A powerful Master, perhaps, but this clone was mentally unstable (which doesn't make him a weakling - but a combination of a strategical and tactical mind with a huge Force potential make Revan a more worthy opponent than C'Baoth). And while Thrawn may have had a better understanding than most not Force-sensitives, they mostly were an advantage when he was standing in front of a Force user. Revan would never need to be in personal contact with Thrawn to turn a battle in his favor using the Force.

Revan.

Revan was powerful with (pre-capture) and without (Endar Spire/Taris) the Force. Thrawn learned about a species battle strategies by studying their art. Revan would create a new strategy that surpassed all Thrawn could ever know or learn. Revan could also use HK-47, the HK-50's and the HK-51's, who could be produced infinitely. If Revan simply bombed the Nohgri homeworld then Thrawn would be left with very few bodyguards. Imagine this:

An army of Stormtroopers, a handful of Nohgri Commandos, a few slaves, a Dark Jedi, and a fleet of Star Destroyers (Thrawn) against an army of Sith Troopers, Star Forge Droids, HK Assassin droids, Mercenaries, hundreds if not thousands of Sith and Dark Jedi, a Sith Lord, and a massive fleet of Ships constructed by the Star Forge and infused with the Dark Side (Revan). See how it balances out?

Thrawn was a strategist, but Revan was a strategist and a leader. Revans leadership ability and charisma could keep his soldiers loyal to him to the death. Many beings only allied themselves to Thrawn for personal gain. Revan's assassins could also capture and corrupt Thrawn's forces, adding to Revan's might.

Archived