Home

Anybody else still play the original Jedi Knight here?

M@RS

I only have a Jedi Outcast for the GameCube. Yeah, I know, it has been outdated, but that is what I have. :)

I don't think that I have actually played the game in about a year. Maybe I will try playing it again soon. :giveup:

I never actually played Dark Forces, although I did play Outcast and Academy. I might have played it once or twice, but I can't remember.

Was it really all that good?

Dark Forces was a pretty standard shooter, though set in a star wars setting. It was fun back then (except the sewage monsters), but I don't think I'd want to replay it now.

Dark Forces II:Jedi Knight is probably the best game in the JK series so far, overall, introducing force use and lightsabers. The story was fairly interesting (and driven by cinematic cutscenes with actors), force powers were interesting and fights against lightsaber-wielding enemies fairly rare, but quite hard. The graphics were pretty horrible even when the game was new though, so it might be a significant barrier by today's standards :)

Dark Forces II:Jedi Knight is probably the best game in the JK series so far, overall, introducing force use and lightsabers. The story was fairly interesting (and driven by cinematic cutscenes with actors), force powers were interesting and fights against lightsaber-wielding enemies fairly rare, but quite hard. The graphics were pretty horrible even when the game was new though, so it might be a significant barrier by today's standards :)

Right. I think I downloaded it a few years back and remembered thinking that it must have been released in like 1995 because of the graphics :xp:

It's too bad I missed out; with a review like that it had to have been good.

_EW_

I liked Jedi Outcast slightly more than JK1 on the basis of the fact that the force powers were actuallγ useful that time around, the story was about the same in quality (even though Jerec was a better villain than Desann), and (most importantly) it was the first game to seriously define Kyle Katarn's character. In Dark Forces I, he wasn't really a character at all. In DF2, he was basically Luke Skywalker with a beard. Jedi Outcast is what made Kyle what he is today.

I would play JK1 more often, but it doesn't seem to like my computer. Dark Forces works as a good substitute, though.

Right. I think I downloaded it a few years back and remembered thinking that it must have been released in like 1995 because of the graphics :xp:

'97. ;)

It's too bad I missed out; with a review like that it had to have been good.

Oh, it was. If you're interested, I suggest trying the mod Prime posted earlier. It makes the graphics a lot better (with the models, at least). Still looks outdated, but there's only so much you can do.

Oh, and as for the story, there were a few novellas a while back that told the story of JK1, but they were far more in depth than the game.

I still have Jedi Knight Installed on every computer I own. It's my favorite game of all time.
+20 Inyri points.

If I had a choice, it would be installed on all computers I own as well as all computers I don't own. Alas, I think that would involve several felonies if caught...

I love Dark Forces II:Jedi Knight, I have a giant skin pack for it, it has over 125 extra characters, all of them from ep.1- ep.6 :0 It's pretty good... I didn't know this thread took off...:lol: I should pay more attention

'97. ;)

Oops, I was just making a joke. :D

While in college I guessed the admin password at the college library and installed it on over 300 systems. Shortly afterwards I quickly became fully engorged by terrified piss and uninstalled it.

:lol: That's hilarious. You should have let it on there.

_EW_

I absolutely love it and i will be trying that detail pack asap. I loved the game when i was younger because i always imagined myself as Kyle. I was about 10 years old and i wanted to marry Jan. Every time i play that game, i still want to marry her. She hasn't aged a day!

Every time i play that game, i still want to marry her. She hasn't aged a day!
She hasn't aged a day, but she has changed from a thin Asian woman to a slightly junk-in-the-trunk white woman who has a passing resemblance to Michael Jackson.

...creepy. :p

Archived