Home

Uh Oh! Georgia 2-0 Russia

jonathan7

I don't care it's a foreign conflict' date=' only what the cosequnces of it is, in my oppinion, it'd be worth it. I also doubt it would turn into a great war.[/Quote']

But remember, though, that a lot of people thought that about the Great War.

I really doubt it would turn into a world war' date=' simply because Russia isn't powerfull enough to stand against the west for long. Besides, it's not just about Georgia, but about much of the former eastern bloc, for that imo, it'd be worth it.[/quote']

Oh, I agree, but can we trust Russia not to resort to the pressing the button when it all goes 'belly-up'?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But remember, though, that a lot of people thought that about the Great War.

I asume you talk about WW1? If so, what magnificent alternative to the war would you propose?

Oh, I agree, but can we trust Russia not to resort to the pressing the button when it all goes 'belly-up'?

No more than any other nuclear armed country.

I asume you talk about WW1? If so' date=' what magnificent alternative to the war would you propose?[/quote']

At the moment? I don't have one.

I was merely saying that a lot of people thought that a global conflict was silly over a little matter in the balkans, yet one happened.

Ah' date=' but WW1 wasn't about a little matter in the balkans, similarly, WW3 will not be about a small former eastern bloc country, though it might become the trigger for it.[/quote']

Then we should watch Russia's next moves very closely.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next event occurs with Ukraine. Ukraine's Naval forces Commanders have said that Russia need's to apply for return to port 3days in advance - and they aren't backing down. Source.

And now, apparently, the Russians are considering sending Naval forces to the Caribbean, which, of course, Russia's biggest friend in South America has welcomed. Source.

• 2 weeks later...

We now also have the EU discussing sanctions against Russia. From what I have heard, Russia couldn't care less.

This whole thing is beginning to seem a little strange - most Western nations seem to support separatism rather than hinder it. Drawing on the example of Northern Ireland, the likes of America seemed to support the goals of the minority in trying to separate us from the UK. If reports from that region are true, then the majorities in S.Ossetia and Abkhazia desire to separate from Georgia. Why, then, is the West supporting the nation that tried to hammer them into the ground? What of democracy and all that? I think that it is simply because Russia supported the breakaway regions that nations like America backed Georgia.

Why, then, is the West supporting the nation that tried to hammer them into the ground? What of democracy and all that? I think that it is simply because Russia supported the breakaway regions that nations like America backed Georgia.

Perhaps because strategic areas/money take precedence over the rights of minorities? If I recall correctly Britain shutdown one of their pipelines in Georgia, but that's not the biggest issue.

Georgia is seeking NATO membership. Imagine how Russia must feel! Most of their former-Communist, eastern bloc countries are turning to the EU, leaving Russia alone, geographically. Not to mention that if Georgia is accepted into NATO, it's will be the equivalent of a massive roadblock to Russia. And who doesn't want to back Russia into a massive corner?

Maybe it's about a cornered rat going for the throat...can't remember. There is the wounded animal one too. I think both may apply, though.

Anyway, I also heard that China is now backing Moscow. That follows a pattern that has emerged recently. We oppose Zimbabwe, Russia and China veto sanctions. America doesn't trust Iran, Russia and China give their support to them.

Maybe it's about a cornered rat going for the throat...can't remember. There is the wounded animal one too. I think both may apply, though.

The fights are deadliest in the last few months of the war.

Anyway, I also heard that China is now backing Moscow. That follows a pattern that has emerged recently. We oppose Zimbabwe, Russia and China veto sanctions. America doesn't trust Iran, Russia and China give their support to them.

The politics of the future, perhaps? The USA and the EU versus China and Russia?

Perhaps. A second 'iron curtain', maybe? The Zimbabwe thing really was a shock to me. I may have expected their reaction over Iran, as Russia trades with the country, but it's hard to see how they can reason supporting Mugabe. Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised...they have more or less the same type of regime.

An economic iron curtain, as opposed to a geographic one? That would be far more... destructive. I recall the Versailles Treaty of WWI, and how that charged Germany with the debt for WWI. Physical wounds heal. Psychological/spiritual wounds take much longer, and never fully heal.

I wonder if these few, semi-isolated events will blossom into something larger and far more volatile?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived