Home

DarthParametric's WIPs

DarthParametric

So it seems I might as well join in on all the fun and make my own WIP thread.

I'm working on a couple of sabers atm. There's Starkiller's saber from the Force Unleashed that I started a while back in response to a thread about it:

th_Starkiller-Saber-Render-02.jpg th_SK-Hilt-Position-WIP.jpg

Modelling was finished ages ago - triangulated mesh is 759 polys. I tweaked the UV map and texture today to improve the texture over the emitter shroud. It's all but done, it has just been the hilt positioning in-game that has been holding it back. Because it has an open crystal chamber low down, I had to position the hilt so the blade passed through this area, meaning that in-game the bottom hand ended up being off the end of the hilt. Fortunately though svösh came to the rescue and helped work out a solution. The pivot just needs some minor tweaking to bring the hands down a shade and then I'll release it.

My newest hilt is Luke's ANH saber. I've been playing K1 and using Oldflash’s Movie Style Hilts mod. They are mostly pretty damn good (not that you can really appreciate it in-game, but checking them out in GMax is illuminating), but I noticed that Oldflash didn't do a Graflex-style hilt (either Anakin's ROTS hilt or Luke's ANH/ESB hilt) or provide a hilt to replace the Mantle of the Force hilt (but did for the Heart of the Guardian). So seeing as MOTF is blue(ish) and it wasn't already in the movie sabers set, I figured Luke's ANH or ESB hilt would be a good fit. I wanted to make it reasonably accurate while still keeping the poly count down. Here's what I've come up with so far:

th_Luke-ANH-Saber-01.jpg th_Luke-ANH-Saber-02.jpg th_Luke-ANH-Saber-Render.jpg

Modelling is done. Triangulated mesh is 816 polys. The texture isn't great (mapping/texturing is my most hated aspect of modelling), but once in-game and blended with an envmap it will look fine.

Btw, I know Oldflash did later do an Anakin ROTS hilt to replace the MOTF, but I like my Luke ANH better. ;) Plus it's more an exercise in practising low poly modelling, which in many ways is much more challenging than more regular types of modelling I've done in the past.

So I've been messing around with some texturing techniques for the last day or two. It has had some mixed results, but I think it produced a texture for the Starkiller saber that I'm reasonably happy with:

th_Starkillers-Saber-06.jpg

A few elements could be tweaked, but given that you won't see much detail in-game anyway I think I'm about done with it.

I've also been playing with a couple of new sabers. The first is Luke's ESB saber (Dagobah variant) to go with the ANH saber.

th_Luke-ESB-Saber-01.jpg th_Luke-ESB-Saber-Render.jpg th_Luke-ESB-Saber-02.jpg

There are clipping issues with both sabers when dual wielding because of the clamps in the middle. However, because they face in opposite directions, each hilt only clips one hand. By having both you can avoid clipping by using the ESB saber in the left hand and the ANH saber in the right (i.e. clamps facing inwards).

The second saber is likely familiar to most of you:

th_Kyle-Katarn-JKII-Saber-02.jpg th_Kyle-Katarn-Saber-Animation.gif

Before anyone utters the dreaded "P" word, this is a new mesh made by me from scratch.

Could you by chance add this saber to your wip(s)?
As I mentioned, there are some sabers I modelled for TriggerGod that come close. I've done some double saber conversions and passed them onto TG for mapping and texturing. Keep an eye on TG's WIP thread for release of the final versions.

th_Blackout-Double-Saber-01.jpg th_Emergence-Double-Saber-01.jpg th_Hexic-Double-Saber-01.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed the MMO has put up some new concept sketches. The sabers are garbage but the blaster rifles look quite good:

th_MMOBlasterRifleConcepts.jpg

I thought it might be beneficial for what's left of my hairline to take a short break from sabers anyway, so I decided to take a crack at one of the blaster rifles. Still in the early stages of blocking out the shape at the moment.

th_MMO-Concept-Blaster-Rifle-01.jpg

The second saber is likely familiar to most of you:

th_Kyle-Katarn-JKII-Saber-02.jpg th_Kyle-Katarn-Saber-Animation.gif

Before anyone utters the dreaded "P" word, this is a new mesh made by me from scratch.

Looks good....also looks like someone done this before...but if you made it i dont think it matters: here

• 1 month later...

The MMO has put up some new screenshots and concept art, amongst which was a concept Jedi saber. I haven't liked their previous sabers, but this one doesn't look too bad. Decided to take a crack at it:

th_MMO-Concept-Jedi-Saber-01.jpg th_MMO-Concept-Jedi-Saber-02.jpg

It's still in flux - I'm tweaking the proportions as I go (you might notice I've shortened it slightly in the second pic).

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to take a break from sabers and try my hand at something else. I thought it might be interesting to check out the dancer's outfit mesh and see if a slave Leia conversion would be possible. The majority of the work required is re-texturing (which I suck at), but there are some mesh tweaks necessary. I wasn't sure how radical a change was possible, so I started off with a simple lengthening of the skirt. Looks OK when they stand still, but looks a bit funky when they run.

Here's a pic with costume ref, in-game shot of the lengthened skirt, and original mesh + texture ref:

th_Slave-Leia-WIP.jpg

Archived