Home

Lightsaber Wavelengths

Arcesious

*Jae, who studied light and optics at the graduate level for like, 4 years, raises an eyebrow at the light wavelength "information"*

There is no such thing as weak or strong wavelengths. Red has a longer wavelength than the blue or violet end of the spectrum, and that's it. The shorter wavelengths have more energy, longer wavelengths have less. However, any color light can be used to create a laser of significant strength. In terms of visible light, you're talking a difference of 300 nanometers between the wavelengths of red and blue.

[/Quote]

I was implying that in support of ray jones.

Not that those two words *necessarily* held any validity whatsoever in regard to optical wavelengths.

Applications corresponding, perhaps.

Now, if you can fully explain the science of lightsabers, great, we can get into a more serious discussion of light theory and optics. Otherwise, it's just a show and we really should just relax, and remember that Red=Evil and Blue and Green=Good, and Purple=Mace-Windu-Cool-to-the-Max, because George Lucas Said So.

"Anything is Possible!"

(DI, I want you to know I spent at least 3.8 minutes inputting all the bbcodes for all those colors)

LMAO

And a great job you did. :)

I don't have a full explanation but here's my best attempt.

I suppose, that if work done of one man has ever made anything even remotely close to resembling a lightsaber on a technical level it might be Nikola Tesla. He made what is believed to be the first particle beam in the world.

From what little I know, these beams from said weapon (several photos floating around of a "suspected soviet weapon"), were (in theory) totally manipluatable. Output consisted of electromagnetic energy. High intensity particles emitted. Varying EM frequencies. Lots of it RF (from my understanding but don't quote me on it).

I have heard that lasers might be a guide for, or might create a channel in the atmosphere for, the particles. However, counter example to that might be an electron gun in the back of a CRT which can make quite a slim beam as well--on the right setting. (As it burns the phosphor and ruins the display.) Also a gauss shield generator--supposedly a capability of said weapon might not need any such laser.

One thing for certain, the stray EM given off would be annoying to nearby electronics, computers, and disrupt communications. Just take a wireless landline phone near a microwave if you don't believe me.

The way I understood it was that these 'blades' were made of energy. The color of the focusing crystal is what gave the 'blade' its color.

I think that your (the author) idea is that these light sabers use a kind of laser.

I'm still a firm believer that these crystals have some kind of different energy that allow this to work (kinda like dilithium crystals).

There used to be a web page that did a comprehensive analysis of light sabers, there were several things that clearly indicated that they were not 'light' in any way.

As someone who is skilled with a sword I can tell you the author hit the nail on the head, and the PT confirmed many of the things that person theorized. They have weight (blows can be pulled to cause less damage), they cast shadows (light should allow other light to pass through it), and they don't generate significant light themselves. The conclusion was that Lightsabers must be a form of superheated charged plasma contained inside an electro-magnetic cocoon. I tend to agree with this, and in this case the gas used to generate the plasma would indicate the color of the blade.

The whole crystal thing was originally the power regulator in the saber, if I recall correctly, the new-age 'crystals give the saber its special powers' hippy stuff seems to have come later on. *

Edit by d3: dammit RH, I think you just beat tk as the "most sexy LF geek of the year" for 2008 :D

Thank you D3! :o

Wow well these posts explain it all far better than wookiepedia did. :D

Most posts explain things far better than wookiepedia. :xp:

RH--if the light is polarized in one direction and the other light passing through is polarized at a 90 degree angle, that light won't pass through.

There used to be a web page that did a comprehensive analysis of light sabers, there were several things that clearly indicated that they were not 'light' in any way.

As someone who is skilled with a sword I can tell you the author hit the nail on the head, and the PT confirmed many of the things that person theorized. They have weight (blows can be pulled to cause less damage), they cast shadows (light should allow other light to pass through it), and they don't generate significant light themselves. The conclusion was that Lightsabers must be a form of superheated charged plasma contained inside an electro-magnetic cocoon. I tend to agree with this, and in this case the gas used to generate the plasma would indicate the color of the blade.

The whole crystal thing was originally the power regulator in the saber, if I recall correctly, the new-age 'crystals give the saber its special powers' hippy stuff seems to have come later on.*

I'm sorry, but Polarized plasma in a cocoon just doesn't add up to me.

Here are the facts as I see them(please show me where I'm wrong in this). You need an energy cell, an emitter, and a crystal. An emitter (as far as I can see) only focuses the energy. So you send energy through the emitter into the crystal which gives you the blade. No where in the assembly is there a plasma emitter.

The only problem I can see is how you get the blade to stay finite, but I figure its the crystal that keeps it so. And only by adjusting the amount of energy send through the crystal do you adjust the length.

I never said 'polarized'...

Here are the facts as I see them(please show me where I'm wrong in this). You need an energy cell, an emitter, and a crystal. An emitter (as far as I can see) only focuses the energy. So you send energy through the emitter into the crystal which gives you the blade. No where in the assembly is there a plasma emitter.

Only in the EU does it state these 'parts' to a lightsaber. Now I do recall there is some C-Canon reference to assembling a lightsaber because Luke does this in one of the radio plays that was done, a crystal was mentioned but not in this fashion (something to do with power regulation if I recall correctly).

The only problem I can see is how you get the blade to stay finite, but I figure its the crystal that keeps it so. And only by adjusting the amount of energy send through the crystal do you adjust the length.

More of that 'hippy' crystal stuff I mentioned. :p

RH--if the light is polarized in one direction and the other light passing through is polarized at a 90 degree angle, that light won't pass through.

True, but this was addressed on the site I mentioned, too bad it has long since gone beyond the rim.

What exactly is your definition of "energy" in this description?

Light is not solid, and has no mass so thus you could not keep it in one area to just solidify as a sword.

So, as has been said in the thread, the damn thing basically runs on magic. It defies physics in its canon description, and there have been mildly better explanations for what it could be in fanon (Like magnetically held plasma).

I think that your (the author) idea is that these light sabers use a kind of laser.

Ok, let me clear something up.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/b/be/Kenobivaderanh.jpg

Not a laser weapon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_YAL-1

http://gadgetmaniac.mail2web.com/uploads/2308/53267.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/17/YAL-1A_Airborne_Laser_unstowed.jpg/750px-YAL-1A_Airborne_Laser_unstowed.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TqICoTBSJ8

Is a laser weapon.

How does it work?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stimulated_emission

You'll never see the beam unless the atmosphere around the beam is ionized into plasma. Like, say, a very foggy day or through smoke you could recognize something. The point of impact, however, glows like the sun as it heats the spot up.

The Lightsabre is a stick of -something- being held into place, and that something is most likely super heated plasma. No clue how they could act like a solid in a fight, but that is part of the movie magic.

According to the Tales of the Old Republic expansion for Wizards of the Coast Star Wars tabletop RPG, the reason Sith always use red lightsabres is simple.

Jedi use natural focus crystals, such as Adegan crystals or Corusca gems. They are rare, tend towards varying additional properties and give rise to a variety of blade colours depending upon the type.

(True) Sith base their philosophy towards the use of the Force upon Sith Alchemy, and ALWAYS use artificially synthesised focusing crystals. These are designed to be as damaging as the better natural crystals around, but don't have those extra benefits gained from being forged within the heart of a Supernova of the fourth day of Yuletide.

So...Sith blades are always red. It is because they are always synthesised crystals. It is an example of the Sith Lord's power, equal to any power of nature. A Sith would have fake roses in his garden, for example, just for show. He would never have anything naturally beautiful, to have to compete with.

He would also keep a prostitute, rather than a devoted wife for similar reasoning. Seeing the theme here?

But...if we're talking canon and reasoning, the truth is George Lucas had originally intended for all lightsabres to be blue. He intended them to be the primary weapon of Stormtroopers. As the movie entered production, he switched to the melodramatic theatrics of Good vs Evil being clearly represented by the colour of the blade. Blue or angelic for good, red or angry for evil. It was essentially where Star Wars turned from a mature fantasy novel (when I first read it in Grade 2), to a childrens' movie (when it hit theatres later that year).

Personally I was disappointed.

(add)

Oh. Because in the (original) book nobody said anything about coloured lightsabres. They were just light-sabres or laser-swords. Darth Vader seemed an entirely different character without this cosmetic effect. To me. At 9.

Never underestimate the maturity of your children, no matter how young. That is the lesson for today.

What exactly is your definition of "energy" in this description?

Light is not solid, and has no mass so thus you could not keep it in one area to just solidify as a sword.

So, as has been said in the thread, the damn thing basically runs on magic. It defies physics in its canon description, and there have been mildly better explanations for what it could be in fanon (Like magnetically held plasma).

Ok, let me clear something up.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/b/be/Kenobivaderanh.jpg

Not a laser weapon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_YAL-1

http://gadgetmaniac.mail2web.com/uploads/2308/53267.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/17/YAL-1A_Airborne_Laser_unstowed.jpg/750px-YAL-1A_Airborne_Laser_unstowed.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TqICoTBSJ8

Is a laser weapon.

How does it work?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stimulated_emission

You'll never see the beam unless the atmosphere around the beam is ionized into plasma. Like, say, a very foggy day or through smoke you could recognize something. The point of impact, however, glows like the sun as it heats the spot up.

The Lightsabre is a stick of -something- being held into place, and that something is most likely super heated plasma. No clue how they could act like a solid in a fight, but that is part of the movie magic.

My definition of energy...hmmmm...can't think of a way to put it.

Archived